Rank the various makers -- Chaintech, eVGA, BFG, Leadtek, PNY, XFX, etc...

Old December 18th 04, 10:35 PM
Rich Webb

Default Rank the various makers -- Chaintech, eVGA, BFG, Leadtek, PNY, XFX, etc...

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:57:40 GMT, darius wrote:

Hello

When it comes to nVidia cards, there are a bunch of brands. Which brands
are generally better? Which are average? Any brand I should avoid?

On a side note, I really hate noisy cards, so whose cards are known for
being noisy / quiet?

Only you can judge what constitutes "better," as there are so many
permutations of parameters. Start with:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html

http://www.anandtech.com/video/

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Old December 18th 04, 10:50 PM
John Russell

"darius" wrote in message
Hello

When it comes to nVidia cards, there are a bunch of brands. Which brands
are generally better? Which are average? Any brand I should avoid?

On a side note, I really hate noisy cards, so whose cards are known for
being noisy / quiet?

Things aren' that simple. You should decide on the GPU you want and read the
reviews. As each new GPU arrives some companies do a better job than others
and it isn't always the same ones as the prevous GPU.

....and then you get to make "compromises" when you find that the most stable
card has the noisest fan!

Old December 19th 04, 07:09 AM
Roy

I personnally like BFG. Some of their cards are overclocked right out of
the box. My 5900XT OC has never given me any problems and they have an
excellent warranty and customer support.

Old December 19th 04, 07:27 AM
Mike

BFG is PFG.. (pretty ****in good )

Old December 20th 04, 02:33 AM
First of One

Some things to keep in mind while you read through the reviews:

BFG: lifetime warranty

LeadTek: best 2D image quality through the VGA connector

Old December 20th 04, 07:01 AM
John Lewis

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:57:40 GMT, darius wrote:

Hello

When it comes to nVidia cards, there are a bunch of brands. Which brands
are generally better? Which are average? Any brand I should avoid?

On a side note, I really hate noisy cards, so whose cards are known for
being noisy / quiet?

For reliability, quality and warranty-service:-

BFG (Lifetime warranty)

eVGA (1 year warranty)
PNY --- warranty not worth the paper it is printed on...
..... if you buy PNY, pray that it never fails. Its a long
row-boat to China...... ( Or purchase a full-replacement
no-questions-asked warranty from a 3rd-party, such
as CompUSA )

Others - no opinion.

John Lewis

Old December 22nd 04, 06:58 PM
First of One

Indeed, though it may help maintaining the card's resale value later.

I got a 3dfx Voodoo3 with lifetime warranty in 1999. By "lifetime", I guess
it means the company's lifetime...

"darius" wrote in message
(John Lewis) wrote in

For reliability, quality and warranty-service:-

BFG (Lifetime warranty)

Thanks to all repliers.

Good to know about BFG. Of course, what's the practical lifetime of a
video card if used for gaming? about 3 years