Are the "refresh rate force" programs still needed?

Old August 22nd 04, 11:15 AM
Larry L.

Default Are the "refresh rate force" programs still needed?

I haven't been following the refresh rate issue for a while now, so I'm
unclear if the add on programs are still needed to get above 60Hz with
non-D3D games. If they're still needed, what's the general consensus on the
best one/s? "Refresh force" was the last one I used, but it's at the same
version number that it was a couple years ago, so I'm not sure if it's
compatible with the latest hardware/drivers.

Thanks for any information on this,

Larry

Old August 22nd 04, 12:30 PM
Danny

Larry L. wrote:
I haven't been following the refresh rate issue for a while now, so
I'm unclear if the add on programs are still needed to get above 60Hz
with non-D3D games. If they're still needed, what's the general
consensus on the best one/s? "Refresh force" was the last one I
used, but it's at the same version number that it was a couple years
ago, so I'm not sure if it's compatible with the latest
hardware/drivers.

If you're on Nvidia drivers they have an inbuilt refresh rate overider
program, so 3rd party ones are no longer needed.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Old August 22nd 04, 02:11 PM
Larry L.

PS. I realize that the drivers have the "refresh rate override" page, but
in the past this has only effected D3D -- i.e. OpenGL games still required
another app to overcome this issue. Does the nvidia "override" address both
OpenGL and D3D now?

Thanks,

Larry

Old August 22nd 04, 02:55 PM
Granulated

Does the nvidia "override" address both
OpenGL and D3D now?

Yes.

--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Old August 22nd 04, 03:29 PM
Eric

I leave the Nvidia drivers alone as far as refresh rate --- don't use the
internal override. I still use refresh force with the 61.77 drivers --
works great. I have a Geforce FX 5900XT.

I think refresh force is still better, since it tells you the maximum
refresh rate for your monitor/vid card at any resolution. Also, the nvidia
override application states that windows will still report the refresh rate
as specified by the application, but the application will run at the
overrideen refresh rate. Refresh force doesn't have that issue. In
general, it is a better application than the internal Nvidia one.

So to answer your question, NO, 3rd party programs are NOT needed. But, I
think they are still better. And they DO work fine with the latest
hardware/drivers.

Old August 22nd 04, 11:43 PM
PRIVATE1964

"Refresh force" was the last one I used, but it's at the same

I'm still using it and works fine here.
Old August 22nd 04, 11:44 PM
PRIVATE1964

Agreed.

Also agree!
Old August 23rd 04, 12:15 AM
Larry L.

Thanks for the replies. So the bottom line is that the new override DOES
effect both OpenGL and D3D now, but that apps like Refresh Force actually
offer better functionality. I don't like the idea of the app reporting the
wrong refresh rate, so I may just stick with RF as well.

Thanks again,

Larry