The correct way to install new drivers?

Old July 24th 04, 08:32 PM
PRIVATE1964

If you right-click on the display adaptor and choose update driver, then
select manual install, there is no option to 'pick from list'

There is that option if you do it from device manager.

I usually uninstall the old drivers through add and remove, then when Windows
restarts I cancel it before it installs anything. Then install the new drivers.

I think that is how I have done it. I have been using same version for a while,
but every now and then I might test a new version.

Old July 24th 04, 09:14 PM
GTS

Default The correct way to install new drivers?

In 98 and ME I used to delete the Nvidia drivers, reboot, install PCI VGA
drivers, reboot, and then install the new Nvidia ones.
In WinXP Pro I can't do this, as XP always installs Nvidia drivers after
re-booting - "New hardware found, Nvida FX5900, your hardware is now
installed". It is using some 2003 drivers, v51.16.
Yes I have tried safe mode, plus VGA mode - same thing, as soon as PC
reboots into normal mode those pesky drivers reappear. Even used regcleaner
to delelete all Nvidia entries, but after reboot Nvidia Global is back
again.
If you right-click on the display adaptor and choose update driver, then
select manual install, there is no option to 'pick from list' to install a
standard VGA driver, only the 'have disk' button.
So with all the recent drivers I have just used the update driver option,
and installed the new drivers over the top. Everything works fine, but would
be interested to know if other XP Pro users use diferent methods?
TIA

Old July 24th 04, 09:27 PM
Hamish

PRIVATE1964 wrote:
If you right-click on the display adaptor and choose update driver,
then select manual install, there is no option to 'pick from list'

There is that option if you do it from device manager.

I usually uninstall the old drivers through add and remove, then when
Windows restarts I cancel it before it installs anything. Then
install the new drivers.

I think that is how I have done it. I have been using same version
for a while, but every now and then I might test a new version.

I do the same, but before rebooting I use detonator RIP, then reboot, cancel
on reboot and then run the exe.

Cheers

Hamish

--
Go Strugglers

In this life there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one
wants. The other is getting it.

Old July 24th 04, 10:38 PM
Lance Ballantyne

ya the problem with windows Xp is that if drivers are missing it will
download drivers from thw indows update site and install those, all in the
background, without warning and without you knowing its doing it. i
recommend using a program i found at www.drivercleaner.net and follow the
instructions in the readme, you will have no problems with Xp installing old
drivers again.

Old July 24th 04, 10:58 PM
PRIVATE1964

I do the same, but before rebooting I use detonator RIP, then reboot, cancel
on reboot and then run the exe.

I might use something like detonator RIP or even manually clean out the
registry, but only if I suspect I might have some kind of trouble with the new
drivers.
Old July 24th 04, 11:03 PM
PRIVATE1964

I just get the pop-up in the taskbar saying new
hardware found

You single or double click on the task bar icon when it says it found new
hardware and cancel it before it is able to install anything.

You have to be quick to cancel it. It will never come up with a box unless it
can't find any drivers at all.

Like I posted you can also upgrade the drivers and point to a location for
files by using device manager and clicking display adapters and then getting
properties for your video card.
Old July 24th 04, 11:08 PM
PRIVATE1964

No , 'fraid not

Yes there is. You are using Windows XP Home right? I think the pro version does
it differently.

Go to device manager, click on display adapters, right click on your video card
and then properties. Then click on driver tab and there is a button there to
update drivers.

When I click on update drivers I am given the option to "install from a list or
specified location" or "install automatically"
Old July 24th 04, 11:09 PM
PRIVATE1964

I don't have the opportunity, it does'nt come up with a wizard, it
automatically installs the drivers.

You have to be quick and stop windows from installing drivers.
You do this by clicking on the icon in the task bar when it finds new hardware
and then cancel it.
Old July 24th 04, 11:12 PM
PRIVATE1964

ya the problem with windows Xp is that if drivers are missing it will
download drivers from thw indows update site and install those, all in the
background, without warning and without you knowing its doing it.

I shut that crap off right after I installed windows. I don't need Windows
looking for drivers on it's own I think I am a little bit more capable of
knowing what my system needs.

That crap also slows down the system slightly everytime it does it checks to
see what you need. Shutting it off and doing it manually is best IMO.