Aopen FX5900XT poor performance

Old February 22nd 04, 12:49 AM
Rocky

Default Aopen FX5900XT poor performance

I just upgraded from a GF2 to the FX5900XT and it's running very poorly. I
noticed this right away in NFS:UG which actually ran better on the old GF2
because the new card is making it totally freeze up for 1 or 2 seconds
frequently during the first lap of each race. Frame rates on some other
games are very similar to the the old card too.

I ran 3dmark 2001SE and the 7859 score seems low to me, but I am no techy. I
have a P41.5Mhz and 512 RAM and AGPx4, I pasted the full results of the test
at http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/3dmark-scores.htm

Any advice?

--
Rocky [ICQ UIN 41113560]
www.GhostRecon.net | www.AGR-S.com

Old February 22nd 04, 01:55 AM
maniac

In ,
Rocky typed:

I ran 3dmark 2001SE and the 7859 score seems low to me, but I am no
techy. I have a P41.5Mhz and 512 RAM and AGPx4, I pasted the full
results of the test at
http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/3dmark-scores.htm

Do you have Windows reinstalled? No? What do you waiting for!

--
maniac
maniac|at|chello.pl

Old February 22nd 04, 02:37 AM
Rocky

"Paul Greer" wrote in message
Your CPU and RAM are holding you back. A lot.

Yeh, CPU I reckoned someone would say that - but RAM, 512 not enough?

Old February 22nd 04, 03:16 AM
lyon_wonder

Your CPU, ( a 1.5GHz p4 is barely faster than a 1GHz P3 in real-world
performance), is holding back your FX video card's performance. Also
your RAM, if it's only SDRAM and not RDRAM or DDR, would be a limiting
factor too.

Old February 22nd 04, 03:34 AM
Helion

Not so much the 512 MB MEM but what type is it?? SDRAM, PC 100, PC 133, or
is it DDR IE: PC2100, PC2700, etc,? When you benchmark, the driver settings
should be set to "Application Controlled" for AA and AF. I have a 5600
Ultra that gets better than what you are getting...(any 5900 series is
faster than any 5600). You definitley have some slow memory or wrong
settings at driver level in addition to the somewhat slow cpu. In fact I
have a GF4 MX440 that gets around 7500 with 3d Mark 2001 SE pushed by a
Celeron 900 OC to 1.08 Ghz.

Old February 22nd 04, 10:55 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:49:10 -0000, "Rocky"
wrote:

I just upgraded from a GF2 to the FX5900XT and it's running very poorly. I
noticed this right away in NFS:UG which actually ran better on the old GF2
because the new card is making it totally freeze up for 1 or 2 seconds
frequently during the first lap of each race. Frame rates on some other
games are very similar to the the old card too.

I ran 3dmark 2001SE and the 7859 score seems low to me, but I am no techy. I
have a P41.5Mhz and 512 RAM and AGPx4, I pasted the full results of the test
at http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/3dmark-scores.htm

Any advice?

Your 3DMark score is t ypical of your slow CPU - which is about the
same as a PIII-800Mhz~900Mhz - depending on your memory type.

Make sure you installed latest drivers and reinstalled DX9 as well.

It is possible that the card is trying to do too much and your cpu is
holding you back.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old February 22nd 04, 10:55 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:37:05 -0000, "Rocky"
wrote:

"Paul Greer" wrote in message
Your CPU and RAM are holding you back. A lot.

Yeh, CPU I reckoned someone would say that - but RAM, 512 not enough?

Your RAM maybe SD-RAM, no amount of RAM will help you. I have
512mb... im running quite good.

Old February 22nd 04, 11:01 AM
Darthy

A friends ABIT - RD-RAM - P4 1.6ghz was a hair faster than my P3-866
@900Mhz a few years back... he wasted $700 on that hunk of crap over
what I could have built for him.

Worse... the P4(core) Celerons... what a joke.

In PC stores - HP sells an AMD notebook at a price (was $700 last week
with rebates) and an intel version for $750.

both are simular (15" LCD / 40gb HD / 256mb DDR / CD-RW-DVDROM /
modem/ NIC.

- AMD 2500XP Mobile (Its quite fast with the AC - pretty much 100% the
same speed as a desktop model! I've run my own tests)

- Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz - which I imagine maybe even slower than the
desktop Celeron 2.6 - which is about the same as a 1000Mhz P3 CPU!

Wow... $50, get a slooooower computer.

Old February 22nd 04, 11:54 AM
Mike

If it helps I have exactly the same card. I have an athlon xp1600+ with
512mb pc2100 ram.

My 3dmark 2001 score was 7921
2003 score was 4500
aquamark 18000

I think my CPU is holding me back but the highest I can go is to a 2100+
without doing any mods and don't think its worth it. Will prob go for new
mobo and CPU at some point. Overall though this card is an improvement over
my Geforce 2 Ti especialy with battlefield 1942.