nVidia 5900 cards: BFG or PNY?

Old January 26th 04, 01:41 PM
Daniel

Default nVidia 5900 cards: BFG or PNY?

Hello. I'm researching into purchasing a new video card, and have a
question. I was originally deciding between an ATI 9600 XT, an nVidia
5700 Ultra, or a nVidia 5900. I've found a couple of what I feel to be
good deals on the 5900, which seems to overpower both the 9600 XT and
the 5700 Ultra. However, I can't decide between the BFG 5900 or the
PNY 5900. Anybody have any advice or insight. The PNY card is approx.
25 dollars more than the BFG. If it is a better card, then I don't
mind paying the extra for it. Thanks.

--
Daniel

Old January 26th 04, 03:48 PM
John Lewis

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 07:41:34 -0600, Daniel
wrote:

Hello. I'm researching into purchasing a new video card, and have a
question. I was originally deciding between an ATI 9600 XT, an nVidia
5700 Ultra, or a nVidia 5900. I've found a couple of what I feel to be
good deals on the 5900, which seems to overpower both the 9600 XT and
the 5700 Ultra. However, I can't decide between the BFG 5900 or the
PNY 5900. Anybody have any advice or insight. The PNY card is approx.
25 dollars more than the BFG. If it is a better card, then I don't
mind paying the extra for it. Thanks.

PNY has a poor reputation for reliability and
RMAs can take months. Chinese vendor I believe.

Not enough info on BFG, except that they are based
in Illinois and offer a life-time warranty on their boards
to the original purchaser.

The BFG genuine FX5900 was on sale at Newegg
for $175 last week, but is now out of stock :-(

( www.bfgtech.com for more info )

John Lewis

--
Daniel

Old January 26th 04, 05:56 PM
Xeon

I just bought a BFG FX5600 256, an upgrade from my gf-4 4200ti. I am quite
pleased with this card, although I wish I would have held out for the
5900... Not that this card is not an improvement over my 4200, but, would
have been nice to go right to the top end of the spectrum instead of mid
level....
In any event, I think you'll be happy with BFG's card, they're easy to set
up, drivers work great, and, I really like the lifetime warranty idea!!!!
better than any other manufacturer in the market

{SFU}Xeon

.. .

Old January 26th 04, 07:24 PM
Philburg2

I have a PNY, its ok. They offer a "lifetime warranty" as well. Make sure
to read fine print btw. I'd say go with BFG, my PNY card is basically a
reference board with oem support. I can't even update the bios, wtf is
that? BFG is probably the better choice, especially if its cheaper.
.. .

Old January 26th 04, 09:47 PM
FLY135

"John Lewis" wrote in message

The BFG genuine FX5900 was on sale at Newegg
for $175 last week, but is now out of stock :-(

( www.bfgtech.com for more info )

Mine is on the way from NewEgg. The FX5900 seems to be the best deal on VGA
cards.

Old January 26th 04, 10:09 PM
Albert

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:47:29 GMT, "FLY135" fly_135(@ hot not
not)notmail.com wrote:

The FX5900 seems to be the best deal on VGA
cards.

There's that psychological $200 price break point. If a consumer can
get a high end card like this for less than $200 these days he's very
happy. There's more profit in more expensive cards but the budget
minded enthusiast is reluctant to slap down that much cash. BFG is a
dream come true for this sub $200 market. Think of the volume of cards
sold at this price. WalMart's had 'em at $315.
http://tinyurl.com/394xk
Have a great day,
Albert

Old January 27th 04, 01:32 AM
Dark Avenger

"Philburg2" wrote in message om...
I have a PNY, its ok. They offer a "lifetime warranty" as well. Make sure
to read fine print btw. I'd say go with BFG, my PNY card is basically a
reference board with oem support. I can't even update the bios, wtf is
that? BFG is probably the better choice, especially if its cheaper.

"lifetime warranty" Umm you mean "as long as we cary the card"
garantuee! And with the current speed you never know if your now new
card..is " not carried anymore" within mere months...

Old April 23rd 04, 10:36 PM
RJC

wrote:

Hello. I'm researching into purchasing a new video card, and have a
question. I was originally deciding between an ATI 9600 XT, an nVidia
5700 Ultra, or a nVidia 5900. I've found a couple of what I feel to be
good deals on the 5900, which seems to overpower both the 9600 XT and
the 5700 Ultra. However, I can't decide between the BFG 5900 or the
PNY 5900. Anybody have any advice or insight. The PNY card is approx.
25 dollars more than the BFG. If it is a better card, then I don't
mind paying the extra for it. Thanks.

I have owned 2 conseecutive PNY cards a GF 4200 Ti and now a GF fx
5900 SE. I have never had any problems with either. I am an advid
gamer and I mess around with mp PC a lot as far as hardware.
I really like the 5900se I just bought and installed latest drivers
and it runs fine with the following games ( I have more but the list
is long enough already!)

Far Cry
SW:KOTOR
Sacred
Morrowind (Not much change, better to upgrade a cpu for this game)
Call of Duty
Medal of Honor
Icewind dale 2
Gothic 2