fx5200 info

Old January 19th 04, 08:25 PM
stevest

Default fx5200 info

I have a fx5200 pci, I read from the posts that you can either get a 64 bit
or 128 bit. What software can I run to find out which I have???
I bought it from e-bay and I want to make sure I got what was advertised....
As a previous poster said I was one of those that got f#$%* with no agp slot
on the mb. But it's the kiddies/wife machine and adding it made the graphics
speed up by 4x's via 3dmark2001. Went from 1k to 4k still pathetic but I
play unreal II just to rate the comparison of the inboard and pci fx5200.
Unplayable with the onboard graphics card, upto 1024x768 32bit, via the
fx5200 as far as I dared go and playable.

Old January 20th 04, 12:03 AM
Dark Avenger

"stevest" wrote in message ...
I have a fx5200 pci, I read from the posts that you can either get a 64 bit
or 128 bit. What software can I run to find out which I have???
I bought it from e-bay and I want to make sure I got what was advertised....
As a previous poster said I was one of those that got f#$%* with no agp slot
on the mb. But it's the kiddies/wife machine and adding it made the graphics
speed up by 4x's via 3dmark2001. Went from 1k to 4k still pathetic but I
play unreal II just to rate the comparison of the inboard and pci fx5200.
Unplayable with the onboard graphics card, upto 1024x768 32bit, via the
fx5200 as far as I dared go and playable.

Aida32

http://www.aida32.ru
Old January 20th 04, 01:40 AM
steelguitar

steve,

Did it sharpen up 2d text, etc?

How did you undo the shared motherboard memory?

thx

bob

Old January 20th 04, 01:54 AM
stevest

Thanx for the replies, maybe the experts at this can look at the ad of the
card, rivatuner said it was a 64 bit pci.
Is the ad correct then? My memory is only running at 320MHz. Is it suppose
to be 350MHz?ramdac?
In the ad it doesn't say 128bit pci, but it does throw around 256bit/128bit
etc.

&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Old January 20th 04, 12:07 PM
Dark Avenger

"stevest" wrote in message
I have a fx5200 pci, I read from the posts that you can either get a 64

bit
or 128 bit. What software can I run to find out which I have???
I bought it from e-bay and I want to make sure I got what was

advertised....
As a previous poster said I was one of those that got f#$%* with no agp

slot
on the mb. But it's the kiddies/wife machine and adding it made the

graphics
speed up by 4x's via 3dmark2001. Went from 1k to 4k still pathetic but I
play unreal II just to rate the comparison of the inboard and pci fx5200.
Unplayable with the onboard graphics card, upto 1024x768 32bit, via the
fx5200 as far as I dared go and playable.

I see allot of numbers..but not the memory bandwidth mentioned, so
basicly you bought a crappy card on the premise of a good card.
he...marketing gotta love it.

Nope you have no rights to return it... after all he sold it you as he
got it!

Don't you love nvidia/branches to throw around with numbers that way.
Most FX5200 are sold with "128-bits internal precision" ... yeah...
but that aint the size of the memorydatapad!

hehe, if you didn't pay tomuch it's worth it's value. If you wished to
be sure of an 128-bits version, then you had to buy the FX 5200 Ultra!
Old January 20th 04, 05:39 PM
stevest

I'm really not sure about the text quality, the onboard is a Intel Extreme
Graphics 845gv,which text wise didn't seem to shabby.
As for the shared memory allocation, I'm clueless there too. All I did was
picked up 512mb memory stick, giving me like 768Mb.
Went into cmos selected pci instead of onboard, and disabled the on-board
graphics in device manager.
At least now with the fx5200 it will go the whole way thru 3dmark2001/2003
shareware version. Intel extreme graphics, now that was a joke.
So untill someone makes a faster pci card, the system will be great for the
kids games and some of the newer/older games of mine, when I can get it away
from them.heh.
Now I wait for my ati 9800, for my system, should be any day now, luv those
prices on ebay.

Thanks for the help, people!!!!! Alot of stuff I don't know about, guess
that's what newsgroups are all about.

ink.net...

Old January 21st 04, 09:02 AM
Darthy

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:39:53 -0500, "stevest"
wrote:

I'm really not sure about the text quality, the onboard is a Intel Extreme
Graphics 845gv,which text wise didn't seem to shabby.

Intel onboard video is a joke for 3D, yes heheh. but I find that as
your RAISE the rez on intel - they start to get blurry. Its fine for
1024x768.

At least now with the fx5200 it will go the whole way thru 3dmark2001/2003
shareware version. Intel extreme graphics, now that was a joke.
So untill someone makes a faster pci card, the system will be great for the
kids games and some of the newer/older games of mine, when I can get it away
from them.heh.

That's not going to happen. An AGP version of the fx5200 would be
faster. PCI is limited, hence you won't find high-end PCI graphics
card - in fact, you bought the BEST PCI video card you can get.

Now I wait for my ati 9800, for my system, should be any day now, luv those
prices on ebay.

How much? They're hitting $200 (non pro) Got mine free.

Thanks for the help, people!!!!! Alot of stuff I don't know about, guess
that's what newsgroups are all about.

usually...

let us know how it goes... The ATI newsgroup is around the corner.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!