Got dirt-bagged on Ebay

Old January 18th 04, 09:13 PM
Mark A

"PRIVATE1964" wrote in message
Basically it comes down to your own greed. The item went for a lower than
normal price because most people will not buy from someone without a

proven
track record. You have bought something from a reputable seller, or

bought
something new, but tried to cut corners. I am not defending the seller,

but
please quit complaining about your stupid and greedy purchase on ebay.

Your an idiot !!
You think because someone buys an item that is cheaper then normal they

are
being greedy? Oh so the next time you buy a video card and there are 2

brands,
but one is cheeper and you buy that one your being greedy?
What If the cheeper brand you buy craps out your just gonna say "I was

greedy I
deserve it"
"Go crawl back under your rock troll.....idiot!"

We are talking about used items, not a new item with a warranty. Yes, when
buying a used item, the reputation of seller is important and is one of the
factors used by buyers to determine the bid price. Absolutely yes. Items on
ebay from unknown or bad sellers always go for less money.

When I sell items on ebay (I have sold over 50 items with 100% feedback
rating) I always guarantee that the item is in good working order and is as
described. No one should by from a seller on ebay who does not guarantee
their items, unless the item is sold "as is" (which is a legal term word for
broken or maybe broken). If someone buys "as is" they have no legal or moral
right to complain.

My biggest complaint about this thread is the buyer did not contact the
seller with the problems. Instead, he invested money in trying to fix it and
then decided he did not want the card. If you have a problem with an item
you purchase on ebay, always contact the seller first.

Old January 18th 04, 09:32 PM
PRIVATE1964

We are talking about used items, not a new item with a warranty. Yes, when
buying a used item, the reputation of seller is important and is one of the
factors used by buyers to determine the bid price.

I don't believe it said "USED" anywhere on the listing. It also really doesn't
matter if it's used or new. You are suppose to be bidding on what is
represented in the ad.
If I purchase something I go by what is specified in the ad. In this case the
words don't really describe exactly what your getting. They specify a Geforce
3, but which one? Then you notice the picture of the box with Ti550, and the
Nvidia emblem with Ti 500. To me I would think Gainward s calling a Ti500 a 550
for some reason...maybe faster memory. With the emblem there I would think the
seller is telling me it's a Ti 500 that has been modified by Gainward to be
what they call a Ti 550.
Also there should be a disclaimer of some kind stating the pictures don't
represent what you will get. Why didn't this seller put in his ad "Original
Geforce 3" ? That would have been too easy. It's because he knew what he was
doing. He wanted to be deceptive and rip someone off.
Old January 18th 04, 10:26 PM
Mark A

[...]

I guess we are dealing with ebay novices. Here are some things to consider:

Just for reference, here is item in question:

1. Anytime an item is sold on ebay, and it doesn't say "new," then it is
used. The buyer found the fan to be defective, so he attempted to fix it
before talking to seller about the problem. He knew it was used.

2. Anytime you see a photo like the one in the listing that is obviously
taken in a studio with the background white (which is obviously a photo
taken by a professional in a studio), then it is not a photo the actual
item. If you want to see a photo of the actual item, look for one that
appears like it was taken by an amateur and would NOT be a photo used by the
retailer when the item was originally sold.

3. I have already talked about buying from someone with only 1 feedback. The
buyer does has right to expect that the item is as described and in working
condition. But there is always a risk that should be understood if the
seller is unknown. My guess is that this seller had another id with poor
feedback and started this new ebay id. Very few people sell on ebay without
buying something first.

4. This a used item and there is no mention of any guarantee from the
seller. There is no mention of the condition of item or its history. In
addition, the shipping cost is rip-off, which is a serious warning sign that
the seller may be questionable. I never buy from a seller with rip-off
shipping charges, because by definition the are dishonest (IMO).

5. I am assuming that the buyer here is a fairly young person (25 or less).
This is probably a very inexpensive lesson that will come in handy later in
life when purchasing items with serious money (like a car or a house). There
is almost always something wrong a used car or a home when you buy it (even
a new home). Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. Ask for guarantees and
warranties, and understand what the reputation of the seller is.

6. I don't mean to suggest that everyone on ebay is a crook. I have sold
over 50 items and I stand behind every item I sell. I also only charge
actual shipping cost (although occasionally I had to charge for a special
shipping box).

Old January 18th 04, 11:12 PM
DaveL

I new it was not new. But I expected his illustrations to represent the
actual product. That's what I would have done had I been the seller. Maybe
he doesn't have access to a digital camera but he still could have found a
picture on the web of a card just like his. I found one of it in about one
minute of searching.

BTW, I have emailed the guy twice and he has not responded. I said in my
email that I was not accusing him of anything but that I wanted to come to
sort of agreement to resolve the discrepancy. I said I did not mind keeping
the item but I would need to buy a new fan for it.

If I don't hear from him by tuesday I'm going to leave a nasty feedback.

Dave

Old January 18th 04, 11:25 PM
Mark A

"DaveL" wrote in message
I new it was not new. But I expected his illustrations to represent the
actual product. That's what I would have done had I been the seller.

Maybe
he doesn't have access to a digital camera but he still could have found a
picture on the web of a card just like his. I found one of it in about

one
minute of searching.

BTW, I have emailed the guy twice and he has not responded. I said in my
email that I was not accusing him of anything but that I wanted to come to
sort of agreement to resolve the discrepancy. I said I did not mind

keeping
the item but I would need to buy a new fan for it.

If I don't hear from him by tuesday I'm going to leave a nasty feedback.

Dave

Be forewarned that he may give you a negative feedback in return. That's one
of the big problems with ebay (seller don't have give feedback until after
the buyer does).

Old January 18th 04, 11:27 PM
Sept1967

I understand your point. But on eBay, do your homework.
The picture shown, represents a "GeForce3 Ti/550 PowerPack Golden Sample".
And I dont see those terms listed anywhere in that auction. *I* would have
asked questions before bidding (or at least the end of auction). Never
assume what you will receive, ASK.

Just my 2 1/2 cents...

Old January 31st 04, 03:06 PM
B.

Did you only pay $26 US for the card?

Sure , he lied a bit about what it was , but in the end the difference would
be only a few frames Id imagine.

And $26US? thats pretty cheap for what you got in the end.

I'd just email him , tell him the fan was buggered , and that you expected a
ti500 , and ask him for $5US back perhaps?

If he wont do it , then leave feedback saying what happened , and forget
about it.

B.

Old January 31st 04, 04:32 PM
DaveL

Yeah, that's what I did. I first emailed him. He did not respond so I
emailed again. He finally responded saying he had been out of town and then
pleaded ignorance. He said he thought it was the same card thinking it was
a red Gainward GF3 and that's all he knew. About the bad fan, he said it
was working fine the last time he used it. I asked him to credit back to my
paypal $10 bucks so I could buy a new fan. He never responded and I left
less than satisfactory feedback to him.

The deal was, I wanted to get the Gainward ti500. I think it was the
fastest GF3 ever made cause they were made with overclocking in mind.

Dave

"B." wrote in message
Did you only pay $26 US for the card?

Sure , he lied a bit about what it was , but in the end the difference

would
be only a few frames Id imagine.

And $26US? thats pretty cheap for what you got in the end.

I'd just email him , tell him the fan was buggered , and that you expected

ti500 , and ask him for $5US back perhaps?

If he wont do it , then leave feedback saying what happened , and forget
about it.

B.

Rare signed prototype of a GUS ACE soundcard for sale at ebay...... Roel de Wit General 1 December 14th 04 04:15 AM
HP iPaq 5550 for sale on ebay Bruce D. Brown General 0 August 28th 04 10:30 PM
Fraud on ebay? Skid Ati Videocards 22 February 9th 04 08:58 AM
Used eBay BFG Geforce4 Ti 4200... how to determine if defective? Harold Corbin Nvidia Videocards 2 December 4th 03 01:59 PM
eBay scumbag crook- lruff5965 JAD Homebuilt PC's 10 September 10th 03 09:48 PM