Got dirt-bagged on Ebay

Old January 17th 04, 03:47 AM
PRIVATE1964

So you are saying it's perfectly ok to use a picture of a different card
than what you are selling and to also include a ti500 moniker to go with it?

I think it's pretty deceiving. The problem being in the description which
really doesn't say which card your bidding on. It could be a Geforce 3
whatever. Then you look at the box which says one thing, the emblem says
another and no where on there does it say the pictures are not what you are
gonna get.
Old January 17th 04, 10:24 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:11:01 -0800, "DaveL"
wrote:

The Gainward GF3 ti550 is a ti500 that has faster memory in it than the
reference design and is clocked to 550 mhz, hence the name. And yes I
already said in the original post that I received a basic GF3.

Here is the ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWN%3AIT&rd=1

This is what I received:
http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/...f3golden.shtml

That review is kinda bad, it doesnt benchmark the card against
others... also, I don't know WHAT this is. Unless its an original GF3
card. (Its hard to go backwards on items like this) - anyway, its not
the same hardwar pictured if what you paid for.

And like I said, not only was it a different board but it had a bad fan on
it. I emailed the sell yesterday and have not received a response from him.
I send another email today. I think he owes me a credit back to my paypal
account or a complete refund.

Dave

Yeah... give him a **** rating, I would. Post how you had attempted
to contact this little prick.

Another EBAY turd is screwing over a friend, who attempted to BUY
something.... 1- he never delivered. 2- my friend is getting a
NON-PAYMENT harrassment...

Nobody at EBAY is answering the phone or email? WTF - anyone know
anything about getting hold of Ebay?

Anyways - back to you.

Take the price you paid for the card (I guess no more than $25) - $15
for cost of FAN replacement to to resolve it, in return - a FAIR
rating.... But I doubt he'd do that.

Did you check the BIOS on the card, see if the jerk flashed it into as
"550".

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 17th 04, 10:24 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:47:28 -0800, "DaveL"
wrote:

Darthy,

There are three types of GF3. There was the original, called a GF3 (that's
what I received). Later, Nvidia decided to split the product line and
released a lower clocked version, the ti200, and a higher clocked version,
the ti500. All Gainward did was take the ti500 a little further with higher
clocking and called it a ti550. Now do you get it?

Dave

Yeah yeah.... Duh... Just used to "model numbers"...

You got screwed.

Old January 17th 04, 10:37 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 03:16:57 GMT, "Biz"
wrote:

Theres no such thing as a real "Ti550" - Gainward calls the Ti200 a
"Ti500" for some retarded reason. Hence, I say - **** gainward.

The Poster has not yet confirmed which card he has.

It seems to me you chose not to read the ad and just went by the generic
picture he used since he didnt include photos of the actual card in his
possession. The description seems to describe exactly what you received.
Albeit, there was no mention of a dead fan, which could be a coincidence as
others mentioned on occasion they have received cards with dead fans, but
they tried to resolve the issue with the seller 1st. Which anyone should
do.

This is why I HATE GAINWARD - they call all there products the sme
thing. You have to dig in and look for a small tag or something that
says what it really is.

BUT, there is a difference between a GF3-500 and GF3-(ORG) card.

But the GOLD sample should be OC to GF-Ti500 performance, but the
"gainward 5500" is supposed to go faster still.

Different box and card pictured from what is sold...

But I don't have specs in front of me either... IF this EBAY link is
from the scam artist, the description COULD mean any GF3.

He could claim stupidity on the "sorry wrong image" game.

I tend to prefer real photos... but then I dont buy from Ebay.

And besides... everyone KNOWS when they have a dead noisy fan on their
hands... then tend to WHINE before they die.

Old January 17th 04, 01:40 PM
John Fraser

Good morning Dave;

"DaveL" wrote in message
So you are saying it's perfectly ok to use a picture of a different card
than what you are selling and to also include a ti500 moniker to go with

it?

Dave

It's a common advertising trick to show the deluxe model, yet sell
several versions which may only vaguely resemble what is pictured. It's
legal as long as there is a disclaimer to the effect that the picture may
not represent what you actually receive.

If you legitimally feel you were taken for a ride and can provide a
sound reason as to why, leave a complaint and it's up to the vendor to
explain what you received was no less than what was advertised.

If, in the long run you feel that what you received was still a bargain,
leave a complaint about the faulty fan and enjoy the product. It's your
call.

I recently read of a story about a pilot who purchased a used Piper
Baron 58 for $100K dollars. The buyer discovered that the recent safety
certification was a joke when he arrived home. After spending $13K to fix
it to flying status, spending $8K on legal bills, getting reimbursed $10K by
the vendor, nine months later the FAA decided to suspend his pilot's license
because he flew a plane that wasn't certified for safe flight.

Cheers,
John

"Biz" wrote in message

"DaveL" wrote in message
The Gainward GF3 ti550 is a ti500 that has faster memory in it than

the
reference design and is clocked to 550 mhz, hence the name. And yes I
already said in the original post that I received a basic GF3.

Here is the ad:

&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

This is what I received:
http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/...f3golden.shtml

And like I said, not only was it a different board but it had a bad

fan
on
it. I emailed the sell yesterday and have not received a response

from
him.
I send another email today. I think he owes me a credit back to my

paypal
account or a complete refund.

Dave

"Darthy" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:57 -0000, "Carl"

wrote:

Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility

of
an
honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as fact

from
the
OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the card he said

it
was
GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was also faulty. I also

said
it
depends how the seller advertised the card and what he printed and

my

Old January 17th 04, 04:40 PM
DaveL

Ebay is like a bad addiction. I know I should not do it but something keeps
bringing me back to it. I have been burned before. I once received a dead
processor. Once bought a game and never received it after payment. But for
every bad deal I have ten more that made my day. I have bought things on
there that you could never find anywhere else. I bought a antique outboard
motor that is my prize possession. A three hundred dollar cd player for
$35. I guess I need to scrutinize the ads more closely and ask more
questions.

The bad fan on this GF3 is so bad I don't see how the seller could have
missed it. When I first plugged it in and fired it up, it turned a few
times very slowly, made a terrible sound and quit turning. I quickly shut
down, pulled the card, disassemble the fan and noticed the bearing was
completely rusted. The seller must live in a very humid climate and this
card is old and sat for a while.

And about the "sorry wrong image", I think he should have noticed it doesn't
look much like his card.

BTW, This guy never responded to either of my emails. I guess I'll have to
live with this and give him negative feedback. I know he will give me
negative feedback in response. That's what I don't like about this feedback
thing. I get a bad deal, leave negative feedback and then he gives me
negative feedback.

Dave

Old January 17th 04, 10:35 PM
Gordie

Well you didn't read it... it's an auction; like a market, they'll do
anythin to sell some people; read next time

Old January 17th 04, 10:36 PM
Gordie

You said in your original post 'i've never had a bad experience on ebay' -
so that was pap?

"DaveL" wrote in message
Ebay is like a bad addiction.

Old January 17th 04, 10:44 PM
Mark A

So you are saying it's perfectly ok to use a picture of a different card
than what you are selling and to also include a ti500 moniker to go with

it?

The item was purchased from a seller with 1 positive feedback (not even sure
if that feedback was left by a buyer). What do you expect?

Old January 17th 04, 11:40 PM
DaveL

Yeah, I had forgotten about those other bad things. I guess one tries to
forget about the bad experience in life. I think it's a subconscious kind
of thing. In other words it was pap.

Dave

"Gordie" wrote in message
You said in your original post 'i've never had a bad experience on ebay' -
so that was pap?

"DaveL" wrote in message
Ebay is like a bad addiction.

Rare signed prototype of a GUS ACE soundcard for sale at ebay...... Roel de Wit General 1 December 14th 04 04:15 AM
HP iPaq 5550 for sale on ebay Bruce D. Brown General 0 August 28th 04 10:30 PM
Fraud on ebay? Skid Ati Videocards 22 February 9th 04 08:58 AM
Used eBay BFG Geforce4 Ti 4200... how to determine if defective? Harold Corbin Nvidia Videocards 2 December 4th 03 01:59 PM
eBay scumbag crook- lruff5965 JAD Homebuilt PC's 10 September 10th 03 09:48 PM