Got dirt-bagged on Ebay

Old January 14th 04, 08:53 PM
Carl

In this news forum,
Andrew exclaimed to the world in his special way:

Leaving negative feedback before communicating with the seller is very
rude. I would be very annoyed if someone ruined my 100% positive
feedback record just because they couldn't be bothered to talk to me.

Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility of an
honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as fact from the
OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the card he said it was a
GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was also faulty. I also said it
depends how the seller advertised the card and what he printed and my

I appreciate that the seller could say the card was in working order when it
left his possession and the buyer would have little to no comeback, but that
still leaves misrepresentation.

You're more tolerant than I. There are thousands of sellers selling
thousands of graphics cards on Ebay. Some will be thorough, honest and send
to the buyer exactly what they advertised and in the condition it was
advertised in (as I do) on the date agreed. I stand by my original view as
harsh as it may seem. The seller has the option of replying to neg feedback
and thus when you read the feedback you can make up your own mind. In
unusual cases I would suggest there is a way for Ebay to remove negative
feedback left in error, despite what they say, with the consent of buyer and
seller. You can't afford to take a gamble, mis-advertise goods, or sell
dodgy stuff on Ebay if you want a clean feedback record.

It appears that in this case (until I'm told differently) the buyer has been
shafted either through ignorance or deliberation. Ignorance is no excuse.
Negative feedback.

~Carl

Old January 15th 04, 03:34 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

"jeffc" wrote in message

"DaveL" wrote in message
I just got in a GF3 I bought on Ebay. It was supposed to be a Gainward
ti550. But instead it's a GF3 basic with VIVO and no cables. On top of
that, it has a bad fan. I took it apart and got the fan working with

some
TV tuner cleaner but still I'm a little ****ed. The guy even had the

gall
to wait 5 working days before shipping it so it took longer to get here

than
it should have.

I've never had a bad experience on Ebay before. I'm not really sure

this
classifies as one. I guess I could have been completely ripped off.

This
guy only has one feedback and it's good. I'm not sure I should slam

him.

Of course you should slam him. How will the next guy know? I've done a

lot
of eBay transactions and have had a truly bad experience yet. Once I got
something that wasn't quite as advertised, which he refunded, and once,
coincidentally, I got a nVidia video card with a bad fan. He said it was
working fine when he packaged, so we split the cost of a new one. He had
lots of good feedback though. I do have a comment on feedback though.
First, email and tell your complaint. If he's a jerk, definitely give bad
feedback. But ABOVE ALL, check feedback first, carefully. Only 1

feedback
and you are definitely taking your chances. What I truly can't

understand -
and this applies to Amazon at least as much as eBay - is how did that

tenth
bad feedback get there? I mean, when someone sees 9, why the hell do they
ORDER???? THIS is why people get away with things - at least after the
first time.

With feedback, its the ratio that matters. If there are 10000 feedbacks, and
20 of them are negative... thats .05% (or 1 out of every 500). i would be
sooo happy to have that success rate at anything in life (well, except maybe
skydiving... i would want 100% success there).

Keep it in context and know that there will be mistakes, and you cant please
everybody every time. Actually take the time to read what the problem was,
and even go so far as to check the person who left the feedback to see what
thier history is. Some people live to give others neg feedback, and I write
those people off as whiners and move on.

Thats just my $.02

NuTs

Old January 15th 04, 07:48 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:57 -0000, "Carl" wrote:

Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility of an
honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as fact from the
OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the card he said it was a
GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was also faulty. I also said it
depends how the seller advertised the card and what he printed and my

Theres no such thing as a real "Ti550" - Gainward calls the Ti200 a
"Ti500" for some retarded reason. Hence, I say - **** gainward.

The Poster has not yet confirmed which card he has.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 15th 04, 07:51 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:25:33 -0800, "DaveL"
wrote:

Thank you all. I have emailed the seller with my grievance. I don't mind
keeping the card as is but I think he should credit back some money to my
paypal account to make up for the bad fan and the fact that I received a
lesser model than was represented in the ad. I'll let you all know how it
turns out.

Have you confirmed WHAT you mean by "PLAIN" card? Were you expecting
a Ti550 and got a Ti500?

There is no such thing as a TI550 GF3 card.]

Please use AIDA32 from www.aida32.hu , its free. It will tell you
exactly WHAT kind of video card you have.

Here is gainward's site: http://www.gainward.com/c-2.html Their
system is a bit stupid, just tell it to view ALL GF3 products... try
to figure out what you were supposed to have purcased.

Gainward has 4 cards that they call "TI550".

Old January 15th 04, 03:34 PM
neopolaris

Darthy wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:57 -0000, "Carl" wrote:

Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility
of an honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as
fact from the OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the
card he said it was a GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was
also faulty. I also said it depends how the seller advertised the
card and what he printed and my responses take the facts as reported
by the OP as read.

Theres no such thing as a real "Ti550" - Gainward calls the Ti200 a
"Ti500" for some retarded reason. Hence, I say - **** gainward.

The Poster has not yet confirmed which card he has.

Gainward made the BEST GF3 cards bar none. A badass Gainward ti200 is
called a ti450

Old January 15th 04, 05:11 PM
DaveL

The Gainward GF3 ti550 is a ti500 that has faster memory in it than the
reference design and is clocked to 550 mhz, hence the name. And yes I
already said in the original post that I received a basic GF3.

Here is the ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWN%3AIT&rd=1

This is what I received:
http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/...f3golden.shtml

And like I said, not only was it a different board but it had a bad fan on
it. I emailed the sell yesterday and have not received a response from him.
I send another email today. I think he owes me a credit back to my paypal
account or a complete refund.

Dave

Old January 15th 04, 05:47 PM
DaveL

Darthy,

There are three types of GF3. There was the original, called a GF3 (that's
what I received). Later, Nvidia decided to split the product line and
released a lower clocked version, the ti200, and a higher clocked version,
the ti500. All Gainward did was take the ti500 a little further with higher
clocking and called it a ti550. Now do you get it?

Dave

Old January 16th 04, 09:56 PM
jeffc

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message

With feedback, its the ratio that matters. If there are 10000 feedbacks,

and
20 of them are negative... thats .05% (or 1 out of every 500). i would be
sooo happy to have that success rate at anything in life (well, except

maybe
skydiving... i would want 100% success there).

I'd look at ratio, but I'd also pay special attention to the last 20
transactions or so. If the guy has 10,000 good ones, and all of a sudden 20
out of the last 40 are bad, there's a problem there.

Old January 17th 04, 04:16 AM
Biz

"DaveL" wrote in message
The Gainward GF3 ti550 is a ti500 that has faster memory in it than the
reference design and is clocked to 550 mhz, hence the name. And yes I
already said in the original post that I received a basic GF3.

Here is the ad:

&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

"Darthy" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:57 -0000, "Carl" wrote:

Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility of

an
honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as fact from

the
OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the card he said it

was
GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was also faulty. I also said

it
depends how the seller advertised the card and what he printed and my

Theres no such thing as a real "Ti550" - Gainward calls the Ti200 a
"Ti500" for some retarded reason. Hence, I say - **** gainward.

The Poster has not yet confirmed which card he has.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

It seems to me you chose not to read the ad and just went by the generic
picture he used since he didnt include photos of the actual card in his
possession. The description seems to describe exactly what you received.
Albeit, there was no mention of a dead fan, which could be a coincidence as
others mentioned on occasion they have received cards with dead fans, but
they tried to resolve the issue with the seller 1st. Which anyone should
do.

Old January 17th 04, 04:33 AM
DaveL

So you are saying it's perfectly ok to use a picture of a different card
than what you are selling and to also include a ti500 moniker to go with it?

Dave

"Darthy" wrote in message
[...]

Rare signed prototype of a GUS ACE soundcard for sale at ebay...... Roel de Wit General 1 December 14th 04 05:15 AM
HP iPaq 5550 for sale on ebay Bruce D. Brown General 0 August 28th 04 10:30 PM
Fraud on ebay? Skid Ati Videocards 22 February 9th 04 09:58 AM
Used eBay BFG Geforce4 Ti 4200... how to determine if defective? Harold Corbin Nvidia Videocards 2 December 4th 03 02:59 PM
eBay scumbag crook- lruff5965 JAD Homebuilt PC's 10 September 10th 03 09:48 PM