MSI FX5900XT-VTD any good ?

Old January 24th 04, 02:25 PM
Paul Wadland

Default MSI FX5900XT-VTD any good ?

I am seriously considering buying a MSI FX5900XT-VTD agp graphic card this
weekend, does anyone have any experience with this card or have any info. I
should know before parting with my cash ? Your views and opinions
appreciated, thanks
Paul

Old January 24th 04, 06:38 PM
Albert

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:25:50 -0000, "Paul Wadland"
wrote:

I am seriously considering buying a MSI FX5900XT-VTD agp graphic card this
weekend, does anyone have any experience with this card or have any info. I
should know before parting with my cash ? Your views and opinions
appreciated, thanks
Paul

You know that the XT/SE/SP versions have slower memory and clock
speeds than the plain vanilla versions don't you?
http://freespace.virgin.net/neeyik.uk/3dspecs/
Whether they represent bargains or not is your choice. What else ya
got in your box?
Have a great day,
Albert

Old January 24th 04, 08:13 PM
Paul Wadland

Hi Albert,
My box contains :-
MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R board
P4 2.8 (800fsb)
1 gig Corsair twinx memory
Asus Geforce4 ti4600 to be replaced !
The MSI FX5900XT-VTD is the only 5900 in my price range, do you think I'd
do better getting a 5700 Ultra ?
Thanks, Paul

Old January 24th 04, 09:23 PM
Albert

wrote:

The MSI FX5900XT-VTD is the only 5900 in my price range, do you think I'd
do better getting a 5700 Ultra ?

No. Looks like the 5900XT performs better.
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...ournament_2003
Do you need 256 MB anyway? Most really don't.
I just ordered this http://www.buyxtremegear.com/bfg5900128.html
Monday delivery. Looks comparable and in your range. Either should
look GREAT on your system!!
Have a great day,
Albert

Old January 25th 04, 12:47 AM
mimayin

i got the MSI fx5900 ultra.. and its like having graphical sex with your
computer. got the same corsair ram as you, with AthlonXP 2600+. my advice:
save your pennies until you can afford the best looking hooker on the block

peace

mimayin

Old January 25th 04, 06:42 AM
Darthy

wrote:

I am seriously considering buying a MSI FX5900XT-VTD agp graphic card this
weekend, does anyone have any experience with this card or have any info. I
should know before parting with my cash ? Your views and opinions
appreciated, thanks

Great card... silent....

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 31st 04, 02:54 PM
B.

No No No it runs far slower and has less pipes

Same pipes , 4 .

Slower clock speed than an ultra , but thats about it.

Heaps better than a 5700.

A bit quicker than a 9600XT radeon , but maybe a bit dodgy on pure pixel
shader performance?

This sort of confusion is because Nvidia doesnt have consistent naming
conventions for cards.

In theory you could make a 5200 with 1 pipe , and call it a 5200ULTRA if you
wanted. Silly eh?

B.