imadequate PSU causes freezing?

Old January 13th 04, 07:03 PM
Alan

Default imadequate PSU causes freezing?

Hi there
ive just got my new pc
Its an AMD Athlon XP 2800+
768mb DDR ram
20 Gig ATA133 Harddisk
and Jetway N2PAP400 Ultra Nforce 2 motherboard
crappy Geforce 4 MX440 graphics

my machine can dos round in windows XP for an awful long time...
but soon as i start to put an awful lot of stress onto my processor by say
compressing to divx format i here my fans start to make a less loud sound as
i apply the stress.... usually about 3-4 minutes after i applied the stress
my computer freezes up on me
I have got all the XP pro updates installed and all the latest drivers from
nvidia...

unfortunately i chose to use the (crappy?) powersupply that came with my
case... its a mercury 300 watt model...
motherboard monitor is detecting my voltages for 12 volts -5 and + 5 to be
around 0.7 volts higher then they should be so +12 is about +12.7 or a
little higher etc... all the voltages are like this apart from the VCORE and
3.3 volt lines which are spot on...

my question really is really is my powersupply causing my freezing problems?
and if it is what power supply would you reccomend i buy? i can spend about
£60 ($110 USD ish) on my new powersupply if this is the problem...

alan

Old January 13th 04, 07:15 PM
DaveL

Might not be the PSU. Do the voltages fluctuate when running multiple apps?
Especially the 3.3 volts? What is the cpu temp when pushing the system?
Maybe flaky ram? Nforce2 is real picky about ram. Try underclocking the
ram if you can do that with a Jetway. You could try running Memtest.

Dave

Old January 13th 04, 08:54 PM
Alan

Might not be the PSU. Do the voltages fluctuate when running multiple
apps?
Especially the 3.3 volts? What is the cpu temp when pushing the system?
Maybe flaky ram? Nforce2 is real picky about ram. Try underclocking the
ram if you can do that with a Jetway. You could try running Memtest.

if i start pusinh the machine it freezes within a few minutes usually
the ddr ram has been swapped out but ive never tried to underclock it... ill
try it later on
im at my wits end here :-(
the voltages fluctuate to +-0.2 volts usually... the 3.3 volt line hardly
ever changes to anything other then 3.29-3.31

memtest 86 ram all night and all day without a kickup
the locks also happen in windows 98

alan

Dave

Old January 13th 04, 11:08 PM
DaveW

Sounds like a cheap power supply that doesn't REALLY put out 300 Watts
(which is common), OR you have a thermal problem with the CPU or video card
overheating under load. Probably the CPU.

--
DaveW

Old January 14th 04, 05:39 AM
DaveL

Does your Jetway have temps in the bios, PC health section? If so then
download Motherboard Monitor and check your cpu temps.

Dave

Old January 14th 04, 07:51 AM
Alan

"DaveW" wrote in message
Sounds like a cheap power supply that doesn't REALLY put out 300 Watts
(which is common), OR you have a thermal problem with the CPU or video

card
overheating under load. Probably the CPU.

processor hits 52 c before it freezes
graphics card heatsink feels luke warm and the back of the chip feels warm
to touch
i dont think my psu is giving out 300 wattz either it says total combined
maximum output is 289 watts on the side

alan