Again... :-( What to buy: FX5900 or 5700/5800 Ultra?

Old December 7th 03, 03:16 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:24:50 GMT, "Luke Piasecki"
wrote:

Totally confused and NVidia site makes it even worse...
ok.. first of all what is the difference between 5900, 5700 and 5700 Ultra?
5700 Ultra seems to be the same price as 5900..., makes it even more
confusing :-(((
Secondly, is there 5800 ? I see it on eBay, but Nvidia site doesn't list
it....
Crap, do they always have to f**ck up the naming so badly...?

If you want to stick with Nvidia - you can get a 5900 for about
$200~250 which is faster than any 5700Ultra.

Yeah... Nvidia is screwed up... notice the lack of SPECS among all
their FX cards... look at their GF3 and GF4 family cards and older and
you see loads of "spec" info.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old December 7th 03, 03:23 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:43:56 -0800, "DaveL"
wrote:

The pendulum has swung back in Nvidia's favor. The 5900 is currently the
best buy at about $200. And it is a relief to stay Nvidia as their drivers
are still far superior to ATI's. Need proof? Just look at these usenet
forums. The ATI ng is chock full of cries for help!

Dave

Hmmm... I have both ATI and NVidia - I'm not seeing the "cries" for
help that youre talking about. Many of the Problems I see is with
their AIW cards or Tuner cards as these are rather ODD-ball... but
over all - they are no worse than Nvidia in "issues" - I have Issues
with Nvidia drivers with my GF4 Ti card... 30.82 works great... 4x.xx
drivers are ****. 52.17 is a lot better and needed for new games -
but there is a LOSS of performance on older games.

Nvidia drivers are much improved, but are still coming up SHORT
against ATi a little bit.... Its sad when the 5900 comes up slower
than a ATI9600Pro.

When I upgraded my MAIN PC video from GF4 Ti4200 to ATI 9800Pro, I had
NO problems with drivers or crashes.

Old December 7th 03, 03:27 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:33:25 -0700, "Ook"
wrote:

It's been that way for a long time. ATI drivers have sucked for years. They
seemed to have improved for a while, but it seems they are going downhill
again.

I don't see that.... I now have both.

nVidia, OTOH, have had excellent drivers. There was a period of time where
they were a bit shaky, back with the 7.x up to about 12.x or so, but they
stabalized again. They have been rock solid for a very long time.

er... 30.82 is still the most stable drivers I've seen posted from
many and myself. The 4x.xx have been crap, besides the "cheats" -
52.xx are quite good... but I'm not happy with them.

5900....$200....hmm...drool.......

Get the MSI model... its $200 online - and its VERY QUIET!!! Even
with 2 fans... excellent card!!