Current crop of Nvidia cards

Old December 3rd 03, 10:16 PM
Dismantler

Default Current crop of Nvidia cards

Has anyone read a roundup or comparison recently that compares the currently
available crops of cards from ATI and Nvidia?

I'm currently running a PNY GF4 ti4200, and started researching, but I'm
getting tired (and my eyes are getting blurry) of following links to
dead-end comparisons that don't cover the gamut. Most of what I've seen
indicates that I won't gain much more bang for my buck by replacing my 4200
without spending an ungodly amount of money. I used to buy expensive video
cards, but in recent years I've become much slower about upgrading, since it
seems like they keep coming out with *tiny* incremental improvements in
performance.

Surely someone in here has recently made a purchase, has researched this to
death, and would love to share their findings.

And as to what it will be used for: primary games - Neverwinter Nights,
Morrowind (Bloodmoon! Lycanthropy rocks), Quake III, and a few random
assorted others. One other feature that I would like to retain on a new
purchase is 1024x768 capability on the TV-out. My current 4200 has this...

TIA

Old December 3rd 03, 10:24 PM
BigJIm

seems like the best bang for the buck is the 5600ultra or the ati9600pro.
I also running a 4200 and the only reason I will upgraded is when the video
card becomes
incompatible with the software or it goes bad.

Old December 3rd 03, 11:25 PM
Fred

I think the current crop is a disappointment.

Your 4200 is pretty good.

You really have to go by price range, not model numbers.

To beat your 4200 or match it you will have to spend at least $160. $160
will get you close to what you have or just above it.

When my 4200 went bad, (PNY Verto) in just under a year of ownership, I
RMA's it. Took at least a month to get a replacement. I play a lot of
games, so tried my built in graphics (motherboard). Useless for my games.

I then got a 5200. It was a significant drop over the 4200. $100 and not
worth it.

I bit the bullet and got an FX5900. Now that is a major improvement! But
over $250. But it will keep me going for two years at least.

I would prefer ATI Radeon, but my motherboard don't like it, and PNY
installs easily (I have win98se).

If your games work well, keep the 4200. If you start playing games that
show the limits of the 4200, step up.

Old December 4th 03, 12:59 AM
jeffc

[...]

I have a 4200, and my conclusion is that it's a lot of bang for the buck,
and it's not worth upgrading yet.

Old December 4th 03, 03:20 AM
Fred

Agreed.

The true upgrade path is over $250. That's a lot of dough.

Old December 4th 03, 03:43 AM
Sept1967

Damn skippy!! Current entry FX cards are too close to MX cards. The "older"
generation 4200, 4600, still kick game butt.

Old December 4th 03, 04:52 PM
Dismantler

"Dismantler" wrote in message
Has anyone read a roundup or comparison recently that compares the

currently
available crops of cards from ATI and Nvidia?

snip for brevity's sake

Thanks to all for their opinions. I figured that I had not done enough
research. I haven't been following new video card developments and models
since buying the 4200, I thought surely they would have come up with
something providing more bang for the buck by now.

Looks like I'll go for upgrading my processor, memory and motherboard on
this next upgrade instead!

(Now straying dangerously off topic, so if you fancy yourself as the usenet
police, you can stop reading here. Following comments are intended solely
for the tolerant... Currently running 2400+ on Gigabyte GA-7VRXP with
Corsair 512MB PC2700 CAS2 and a PNY GF4 4200ti)

Haven't exactly settled on which mobo, memory combo yet to get, researching
boards based on the nForce II 400 and VIA KT600 chipsets. If anyone is aware
of specific and universally occurring issues with running GF4 4200's on
either of these chipsets, or on a specific vendor's motherboard utilizing
one of them, feel free to chime in. I'm also a bit concerned about which DDR
memory is going to work specifically with these faster FSB speeds, the last
time I upgraded motherboards, I ended up having to special order Corsair DDR
memory, the dodgy Kingston DDR modules originally purchased gave me endless
headaches and unstable operation. Any relevant suggestions from someone who
has recently upgraded to a mainboard using either of these two chipsets
would be welcome as well...

If you would prefer not to comment about motherboards, memory, etc in the
nvidia newsgroup (and I can relate if that is your predilection), you can
grab my email address from the URL below and respond that way. I don't
relish any more hordes of spambots heading my way G

Thanks in advance.

http://home.indy.rr.com/dismantler/dv/film.htm

Old December 4th 03, 05:10 PM
jeffc

"Dismantler" wrote in message

Thanks to all for their opinions. I figured that I had not done enough
research. I haven't been following new video card developments and models
since buying the 4200, I thought surely they would have come up with
something providing more bang for the buck by now.

You'd think so, but on the other hand pat yourself on the back. As
"enthusiasts", we are always looking for the best deals - the best
performance for the money - the best way to spend our money so it's not
obsolete within 6 weeks - to avoid the "dumb cow consumer" syndrome where
you look at a rack of new products at the local computer store and get
paralyzed with ignorance and dazzled by advertising claims and slick
packaging. You've done all that - congratulations :-) Unfortunately, that
means it's going to take another equally good product at another good price
to come along, and that doesn't happen every week.

Old December 7th 03, 05:12 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:52:25 GMT, "Dismantler"
wrote:

"Dismantler" wrote in message
Has anyone read a roundup or comparison recently that compares the

currently
available crops of cards from ATI and Nvidia?

snip for brevity's sake

Thanks to all for their opinions. I figured that I had not done enough
research. I haven't been following new video card developments and models
since buying the 4200, I thought surely they would have come up with
something providing more bang for the buck by now.

Yep... stick with your Ti4200 UNTIL your games feel slow... HALO
benifits from having a faster card... but that mostly because of its
crappy programming. UT2003 looks better because I can turn on the
AF/AA on my ATI 9800Pro that I couldn't on my Ti4200....

Wait and save for a $300 card in 2004. If you had a GF-4MX card, I
and others would tell you to upgrade to a $200+ video card.

Looks like I'll go for upgrading my processor, memory and motherboard on
this next upgrade instead!

better choice.

(Now straying dangerously off topic, so if you fancy yourself as the usenet
police, you can stop reading here. Following comments are intended solely
for the tolerant... Currently running 2400+ on Gigabyte GA-7VRXP with
Corsair 512MB PC2700 CAS2 and a PNY GF4 4200ti)

Your mobo should handle a 2600+, but since you have a 2400 already...
I *SEE* no reason for an upgrade at this time. I'm running a 2500OC
to 2900 speed.

Haven't exactly settled on which mobo, memory combo yet to get, researching
boards based on the nForce II 400 and VIA KT600 chipsets. If anyone is aware

NForce2 boards are sweet, it can add about 10~15% to your system
performance... but is it worth it? Save for an AMD64 bit system next
year - the 64bit CPUs are hitting $300 now.

KT600 is slightly faster than the KT400.

Your system is running good, you're performance is still UPPER END...
not the fastest, but still quite good.

Shesh, I've tossed on HALO on a friends AMD-1000Mhz/Ti4200 setup (hes
already updated the mobo to NForce2 and about to buy a 2500CPU) and it
plays it pretty good.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!