Picture quality

Old November 28th 03, 04:16 AM
Aki Peltola

Default Picture quality

Using Nvidia's 44.09-detonators.
Am I blind or howcome I can't see any differences in
picture quality between "High Performance" and "Quality"-
settings? I even took few screen captures from UT2003
using both settings and spent a moment comparing the
pictures. After that I can't understand why those settings
even exist? Supposely using "Quality" only slows down
fps without any visually noticeable reason.

Omega-drivers are perhaps a whole different story
(haven't tried yet).

Old November 28th 03, 04:55 PM
Aki Peltola

"Aki Peltola" wrote
Using Nvidia's 44.09-detonators.

Umm, correction: 44.03 :-)

Old November 29th 03, 05:30 AM
phobos

Aki Peltola wrote:
Using Nvidia's 44.09-detonators.
Am I blind or howcome I can't see any differences in
picture quality between "High Performance" and "Quality"-
settings? I even took few screen captures from UT2003
using both settings and spent a moment comparing the
pictures. After that I can't understand why those settings
even exist? Supposely using "Quality" only slows down
fps without any visually noticeable reason.

Omega-drivers are perhaps a whole different story
(haven't tried yet).

The performance settings are mostly useful for Anisotropic filtering and
FSAA. In regular games with normal bi/trilinear filtering and no AA,
they don't make a big difference. They affect shader features under
DirectX also (under high performance mode, reflections look more dull in
DX8).

They also do things like force certain optimizations in games. UT2003
normally has it's own LOD bias and trilinear filtering settings, but you
can override them at the expense of a bit of aliasing at distances.

The Omega drivers are just lumped together various versions of the main
driver files. Some are from this set, others from earlier one, etc.
They mainly screw with the LOD bias and texture sharpening options which
can normally be enabled in the registry or with a tweaker program. I
don't recommend them unless you're gullible.

Old November 29th 03, 11:38 AM
Aki Peltola

"DaveW" wrote
Which video card are you using?

Geforce3, but I guess the textures would look quite
the same as on GF4 for example with the same
drivers&settings?

Or have there been some massive GPU-improvement
that makes all look more delicious when NOT using
any FSAA or AF?

Old November 29th 03, 03:53 PM
Aki Peltola

"phobos" wrote
The Omega drivers are just lumped together various versions of the main
driver files. Some are from this set, others from earlier one, etc.
They mainly screw with the LOD bias and texture sharpening options which
can normally be enabled in the registry or with a tweaker program. I
don't recommend them unless you're gullible.

So you're saying that all those Omega drivers do is just
the LOD bias adjustment to make textures look sharper
on "Quality" and vice versa when using the performance-
setting? I certainly can do the same with Nvidia-drivers
using Rivatuner etc. so Omega drivers = Handicap
drivers? :-)