Help Select a Card

Old November 18th 03, 05:07 PM
jeffc

Default Help Select a Card

"Mojo" wrote in message
I am building a new system with the following components:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
Antec Performance II mini tower case with 350w ps
Athalon 2500+ /333 Barton
Crucial 512mb PC-2700 DDR
Liteon DVD/CDRW drive
WD 80gb drive (8mb cache)
Samsung 763mb-17" crt monitor.

The system will be used for light-medium gaming and home finance and
MS office software.

I am looking for a decent video card under a $100 to go with this
system. Any recommendations? I have seen the following in my price
range:

Gigabyte Radeon 9200 128mb DDR
Asus V9520 GeForce FX 5200

Any other suggestions? I will probably upgrade the card down the road
as $$s become available.

GeForce Ti 4200, used if necessary.

Old November 18th 03, 06:19 PM
J.Clarke

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:37:44 -0500
"badraptor" wrote:

try a 9800xt radeon only takes 1 agp slot not a agp and pci. alot
less heat 2.

Uh, when did the FX5200 start taking up "a agp and pci"? And where does
one get a 9800XT for "under $100"?

"Mojo" wrote in message
I am building a new system with the following components:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
Antec Performance II mini tower case with 350w ps
Athalon 2500+ /333 Barton
Crucial 512mb PC-2700 DDR
Liteon DVD/CDRW drive
WD 80gb drive (8mb cache)
Samsung 763mb-17" crt monitor.

The system will be used for light-medium gaming and home finance and
MS office software.

I am looking for a decent video card under a $100 to go with this
system. Any recommendations? I have seen the following in my price
range:

Gigabyte Radeon 9200 128mb DDR
Asus V9520 GeForce FX 5200

Any other suggestions? I will probably upgrade the card down the
road as $$s become available. Thanks in advance.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old November 19th 03, 04:59 AM
Lebowski

"jeffc" wrote in message

"Mojo" wrote in message
I am building a new system with the following components:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
Antec Performance II mini tower case with 350w ps
Athalon 2500+ /333 Barton
Crucial 512mb PC-2700 DDR
Liteon DVD/CDRW drive
WD 80gb drive (8mb cache)
Samsung 763mb-17" crt monitor.

The system will be used for light-medium gaming and home finance and
MS office software.

I am looking for a decent video card under a $100 to go with this
system. Any recommendations? I have seen the following in my price
range:

Gigabyte Radeon 9200 128mb DDR
Asus V9520 GeForce FX 5200

Any other suggestions? I will probably upgrade the card down the road
as $$s become available.

GeForce Ti 4200, used if necessary.

I second that. Although I can't find the exact link now, I saw the Radeon
9200 lag well behind the ti4200 in gaming benchmarks while under review. The
FX5200 similarly is not exactly streets ahead of the ti4200. And I am very
happy with mine, so much that I am prepared to give DOOM 3 a whirl with it
when it comes out!

Old November 19th 03, 07:08 AM
Darthy

On 18 Nov 2003 16:36:59 GMT, (Mojo) wrote:

I am building a new system with the following components:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
Antec Performance II mini tower case with 350w ps
Athalon 2500+ /333 Barton
Crucial 512mb PC-2700 DDR
Liteon DVD/CDRW drive
WD 80gb drive (8mb cache)
Samsung 763mb-17" crt monitor.

The system will be used for light-medium gaming and home finance and
MS office software.

I am looking for a decent video card under a $100 to go with this
system. Any recommendations? I have seen the following in my price
range:

Gigabyte Radeon 9200 128mb DDR
Asus V9520 GeForce FX 5200

Any other suggestions? I will probably upgrade the card down the road
as $$s become available. Thanks in advance.

Ti 4200, hands down. Its about $75 delivered. MSI brand, 64mb
version.
www.pricewatch.com

Its the fastest card for under $100... even faster than MOST $130
cards such as:
5200 Ultra, 5600 (128 or 256mb version)
ATI 9000pro/9200/9600se

I have that Antec case... But I recommend the Enermax case, 101series,
it's a kick ass case. Check it out:

http://ap.terrabox.com/rpc

Currently it is $57 at www.newegg.com then add $40~70 for a good
300~400watt PSU. Fortron is about $60 from newegg - 400watter. Antec
350 is about $50.

With that board and CPU, you can overclock the CPU about 200mhz with
stock cooler fan.

Also, you need 2x 256mb DDR for better performance, or 2x 512mb for
1GB... get the RAM in pairs.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old November 19th 03, 03:33 PM
jeffc

"badraptor" wrote:

try a 9800xt radeon only takes 1 agp slot not a agp and pci. alot
less heat 2.

Uh, when did the FX5200 start taking up "a agp and pci"?

I assume he's talking about the size of the heat sink and fan...??

Old November 20th 03, 10:45 AM
J.Clarke

"badraptor" wrote:

try a 9800xt radeon only takes 1 agp slot not a agp and pci. alot
less heat 2.

Uh, when did the FX5200 start taking up "a agp and pci"?

I assume he's talking about the size of the heat sink and fan...??

Many FX5200s don't even _have_ a fan. I believe that someone is
confusing the 5200 with the some of the high-end models.

Old November 20th 03, 11:01 AM
J.Clarke

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:10:13 -0500
"badraptor" wrote:

read jeffc's next post he understands! and under 100 bucks steal one!

In which post does he say anything indicating that he knows of a
Geforce FX5200 that takes up "a agp and pci"? I believe that you are
confusing the FX5200 wit the FX5800 and 5900.

"Mojo" wrote in message
I am building a new system with the following components:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
Antec Performance II mini tower case with 350w ps
Athalon 2500+ /333 Barton
Crucial 512mb PC-2700 DDR
Liteon DVD/CDRW drive
WD 80gb drive (8mb cache)
Samsung 763mb-17" crt monitor.

The system will be used for light-medium gaming and home finance
and MS office software.

I am looking for a decent video card under a $100 to go with
this system. Any recommendations? I have seen the following in
my price range:

Gigabyte Radeon 9200 128mb DDR
Asus V9520 GeForce FX 5200

Any other suggestions? I will probably upgrade the card down
the road as $$s become available. Thanks in advance.