Need 5900 Ultra with 2 DVIs and Not a Space Hog

Old November 10th 03, 05:51 AM
Perrera

Default Need 5900 Ultra with 2 DVIs and Not a Space Hog

I'm looking to upgrade to a 5900 with 256 MB. I want to connect two LCD monitors
via DVI rather than analog. I do not have an extra PCI slot; the card needs to
be "normal" width so that it does not prevent me from using the PCI slot next to
the AGP slot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old November 10th 03, 08:18 AM
mimayin

im not 100% sure but i think even if it doesnt use the slot spacewise the
5900 will use the address line so you cant use it anyway. mine is an MSI
card and it doesnt use the space of the pci slot but i havent tried using
it.

Old November 10th 03, 09:16 AM
ntl: Victim

"Perrera" wrote in message
I'm looking to upgrade to a 5900 with 256 MB. I want to connect two LCD

monitors
via DVI rather than analog. I do not have an extra PCI slot; the card

needs to
be "normal" width so that it does not prevent me from using the PCI slot

next to
the AGP slot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Even it the card doesn't use the 1st PCI slot you wouldn't want to put
anything in it anyway. Ideally you should leave a decent amount of space
for the cooling of the graphics card...

Old November 10th 03, 03:33 PM
baskitcaise

Ed Medlin wrote:

MSI and Asus are two that I know of. The majority of the others use the
NVidia reference design that uses both slots. I wouldn't put anything there
except some USB or FW ports anyway. As far as two DVI outputs, I don't know
of any cards that do that except maybe a Matrox Parhelia, and I am not
positive it can do it. My MSI FX 5900U NBox came with an DVI to analog
convertor, but I am pretty sure it can't be done the other way around but I
have been wrong before..........., I think.........:-)

It is possible to get analog-dvi connectors, I was sent a batch load once by
mistake.

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.
Old November 10th 03, 03:57 PM
Perrera

Thanks for this.

1. I do have two of the PCI slots on my mobo taken by FW and USB2 so I could
move one of them to the first PCI next to the AGP.

2. I'll have to check out the MSI and ASUS. I'm surprised that no one makes one
with two DVIs. I bought my current 4600ti from Gainward specifically because it
does have the two DVIs.

In article , Ed Medlin says...

MSI and Asus are two that I know of. The majority of the others use the
NVidia reference design that uses both slots. I wouldn't put anything there
except some USB or FW ports anyway. As far as two DVI outputs, I don't know
of any cards that do that except maybe a Matrox Parhelia, and I am not
positive it can do it. My MSI FX 5900U NBox came with an DVI to analog
convertor, but I am pretty sure it can't be done the other way around but I
have been wrong before..........., I think.........:-)

Ed
"Perrera" wrote in message
I'm looking to upgrade to a 5900 with 256 MB. I want to connect two LCD

monitors
via DVI rather than analog. I do not have an extra PCI slot; the card

needs to
be "normal" width so that it does not prevent me from using the PCI slot

next to
the AGP slot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

---

Old November 10th 03, 03:59 PM
Perrera

Yeah, you might be right that the 5900 needs space for the cooling to work.

In article , ntl: Victim
says...

Old November 10th 03, 07:07 PM
Granulated

On 9 Nov 2003 21:51:41 -0800 Perrera meeped :

I'm looking to upgrade to a 5900 with 256 MB. I want to connect two LCD monitors
via DVI rather than analog. I do not have an extra PCI slot; the card needs to
be "normal" width so that it does not prevent me from using the PCI slot next to
the AGP slot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

i did a lot of googling and it looks like there's only a 5600 dual dvi at the
moment (asus)
http://www.xpcgear.com/asusv9560.html
Old November 10th 03, 11:08 PM
Martin Eriksson

"mimayin" wrote in message
im not 100% sure but i think even if it doesnt use the slot spacewise the
5900 will use the address line so you cant use it anyway. mine is an MSI
card and it doesnt use the space of the pci slot but i havent tried using
it.

If you have a new motherboard with ACPI and possibly APIC and don't put some
broken PCI card (some SB cards, some NICs) in that slot it's gonna work
fine.

/M

Old November 11th 03, 04:23 AM
perrera

I spoke with an ASUS tech who told me that there would not be a problem using
the first PCI from the point of view of the electronics of the boards but he
said it would be better not to from the point of view of ventilation.

My mobo is ASUS P4T-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1005.

Thanks.

In article , Martin Eriksson says...

Old November 11th 03, 04:26 AM
Perrera

Yeah I just found out about the ASUS 5600 but I don't think I'd buy that board
just for the dual DVI. I find it a bit weird that they put the dual DVIs on that
board but not on their top of the line boards. An ASUS tech told me that there
is no problem going from an analog plug on the board to a DVI via an adapter (I
just have to find such an adapter). It is stupid, however, to convert from
digital to analog and back to digital. I'm not sure if there would be a
noticible performance loss.

Thanks.

In article , Granulated says...