Geforce4 TI 4200 AGP 8x crashing to desktop from 3D games

Old October 18th 03, 12:19 AM
Rob Gregory

Default Geforce4 TI 4200 AGP 8x crashing to desktop from 3D games

I have a new system with a Gigagbyte GA-8SQ800 main board, Pentium 4, 2.8
Ghz and 512
MB of Kingston RAM, running a Leadtek WinFast A280 LE TDH (Nvidia Geforce 4
TI 4200 AGP 8x) video card with 128 MB. Windows XP Pro - fully patched.

It allways (ie every single time) crashes to desktop when running any 3D
game (eg Battlefield 1942, and even the games that came with the Video
card).

I am using the most recent BIOS (8.0b) and drivers for the main board and
most recent nvidia driver for the video card.

Any suggestions?

Old October 18th 03, 12:57 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:19:53 +1000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Rob Gregory"
wrote :

I have a new system with a Gigagbyte GA-8SQ800 main board, Pentium 4, 2.8
Ghz and 512
MB of Kingston RAM, running a Leadtek WinFast A280 LE TDH (Nvidia Geforce 4
TI 4200 AGP 8x) video card with 128 MB. Windows XP Pro - fully patched.

It allways (ie every single time) crashes to desktop when running any 3D
game (eg Battlefield 1942, and even the games that came with the Video
card).

I am using the most recent BIOS (8.0b) and drivers for the main board and
most recent nvidia driver for the video card.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried updated AGP drivers for your mother board?
Also what does DXdiag report?
Start/run and type Dxdiag/OK

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 18th 03, 01:04 AM
Rob Gregory

Yep,

I have got the latest drivers and bios from giga-byte and SIS.

edited DX diag below:

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0281&SUBSYS_2931107D&REV_A1
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (72Hz)
Monitor: SyncMaster 173V/172V/173S/173B
Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4523 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/28/2003 15:19:00, 3902603 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 7/28/2003 15:19:00, 1341339 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-41C1-11CF-6662-3B0900C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0281
SubSys ID: 0x2931107D
Revision ID: 0x00A1

Old October 18th 03, 01:10 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:04:46 +1000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
wrote :

Yep,

I have got the latest drivers and bios from giga-byte and SIS.

edited DX diag below:

Have you run the tests?
Also in the mother board BIOS have you enabled the assign IRQ to PCI
VGA and try setting the Display Adaptor settings to 75 Hz?

.. .

Old October 18th 03, 01:14 AM
Rob Gregory

wrote :

Yep,

I have got the latest drivers and bios from giga-byte and SIS.

edited DX diag below:

Have you run the tests?

Which tests?

Also in the mother board BIOS have you enabled the assign IRQ to PCI
VGA

Yes

and try setting the Display Adaptor settings to 75 Hz?

I've tried a range of settings - does not seem to make any difference.

.. .

Old October 18th 03, 01:32 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:14:52 +1000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Rob Gregory"
wrote :

.. .
wrote :

Yep,

I have got the latest drivers and bios from giga-byte and SIS.

edited DX diag below:

Have you run the tests?

Which tests?

In Dxdiag/Display Tab.
Also download the free,"Rivatuner",
http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
and got through ALL it's Tabs in the Driver settings as it has a built
in hidden registry checker/fixer.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 23rd 03, 08:31 PM
iamnotme

Just a thought ... the ti4*** series of cards required a very consistent
3.3volt supply from the agp slot. Some folks have replaced their power
supply unit with a higher voltage/higher quality unit (check the amps
ratings), and achieved stability with problems like yours.

good luck.