How do I span the desktop on nVidia 5600?

Old October 20th 03, 06:25 PM
John

Default How do I span the desktop on nVidia 5600?

Hi, I have the GeForce4 FX 5600 on a Sony Vaio. I don't see an option for
monitor spanning in the display properties - only Clone or Standard (Dual
View). If I click Clone I can get a replica image on my TV, but if I click
Standard, I get nothing on the TV.

The TV is connected to the nVidia out via S-Video and is on.

Want I want is to span the desktop so the left half is on my Flatscreen and
the right on my TV (for watching Media Center Edition content).

There seems to be no option in nView. Also, I used to see 2 monitors in the
standard Windows Display Settings tab on my old PC with a GeForce 4 FX 440,
but now I see only 1 monitor on the 5600.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
J.

Old October 21st 03, 08:43 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:25:19 GMT, "John" wrote:

Hi, I have the GeForce4 FX 5600 on a Sony Vaio. I don't see an option for
monitor spanning in the display properties - only Clone or Standard (Dual
View). If I click Clone I can get a replica image on my TV, but if I click
Standard, I get nothing on the TV.

Sounds normal. TV output is not the same as display output for
computer monitors. If you want to span, you need another monitor.

There seems to be no option in nView. Also, I used to see 2 monitors in the
standard Windows Display Settings tab on my old PC with a GeForce 4 FX 440,
but now I see only 1 monitor on the 5600.

Any ideas?

Does your 5600 have dual VGA output (#2 maybe DVI)? It is possible to
get it without the 2nd output.... Gainward makes these.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old October 21st 03, 11:16 AM
John

Hi, yes it has 3 outputs:
VGA
S-Video
DVI

Are you 100% sure I can only do monitor spanning with VGA and DVI, but not
S-Video? Seems a bit odd.
--
CJSnet

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)

Old October 21st 03, 03:47 PM
derob

Hi, yes it has 3 outputs:
VGA
S-Video
DVI

Are you 100% sure I can only do monitor spanning with VGA and DVI, but not
S-Video? Seems a bit odd.
--
CJSnet

I don't know whether Darty is sure of that, but I am. You only get the
options as soon as you connect a second monitor. The card detects that and
then the driver gives you the options. Why would you want to use a TV as a
monitor? The quality is crap anyway. Just buy a new or used monitor, or use
one from another PC.

Greetz,

Derob

Old October 21st 03, 04:29 PM
John

So I can use monitor spanning to have one desktop for PC work and the TV for
Windows Media Center output.

Old October 21st 03, 11:32 PM
John

Turns out you can do it - you just right-click the NVIDIA tasktray
iconnView Display ModeHorizontal Span...

Works fine with a TV as second monitor.