New Gainward GeForce FX 5900 - Broken?

Old October 10th 03, 05:43 PM
Rich

Default New Gainward GeForce FX 5900 - Broken?

Just got this board from ZipZoomFly (formerly Googlegear). It's the
Gainward FX PowerPack! Ultra/1200 XP Golden Sample GeForce 5900 128MB board
(that's a mouthful).

Installed it yesterday, and all was great for about 6 hours. I ran several
benchmarks (nice performance) and several games (DAoC, Return of the King
demo, Jedi Knight 2, Morrowind).

While playing Dark Age of Camelot, after hours of smooth uptime, my machine
froze. I had to manual reboot. Upon rebooting, the Windows XP startup
screen had vertical blue lines running through it. When it loaded my
desktop, many icons were missing, my mouse pointer was missing (though the
mouse was still 'there'), and there were lots of little graphical glitches
appearing. The longer I left the machine on, the worse the corruption got.

I powered down completely, booted back up. Startup screen still had lines
running through it. Desktop now had MASSIVE corruption and after a minute
or two, some error dialog popped up (that I couldn't read) and the machine
seemed frozen again.

Reboot #3, same thing - startup screen with blue lines, but now the desktop
wouldn't load, and the screen changed to something at 54Hz (vs. the 85Hz I
run my desktop at), but remained blank. If I left it alone long enough (5
minutes?) the machine would just reboot by itself.

Consequent reboots are as above. Corrupted startup screen, no desktop.

Now, some info:

ASUS P4T-E w/P4 2.6GHz
1GB RAM
300W PS (video board has its own connection direct to PS)
Windows XP Home
Using drivers provided on the Gainward install disc, which appear to be
v44.03, I believe.

Eventually, I pulled everything out of my machine but my boot drive and the
video board. That changed nothing, in terms of the problem.

I did not update any drivers beyond the original install disc.

I did not overclock the board.

The nVidia temperature monitor showed a temp of around 40C or so, IIRC.
45ish about 3 minutes before it crashed the first time (I happened to have
checked).

My case is well cooled with a number of powerful fans - I really REALLY
doubt heat is an issue here.

I pulled the Gainward out and plopped in my old ATI Radeon 8500, and all is
well, at least so far as I can tell. If I put the Gainward back in, the
problem is back, 100% of the time.

Did this board just crap out on me after only a few hours of smooth,
painless use? I would suspect another component if my machine were still
misbehaving with a different video board in, but it's not.

Advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

(I already sent a message to Gainward & ZipZoomFly about this, but don't
expect a speedy reply - I never do...)

Thanks,

~ Rich

Old October 10th 03, 06:28 PM
chainbreaker

Rich wrote:
Did this board just crap out on me after only a few hours of smooth,
painless use? I would suspect another component if my machine were
still misbehaving with a different video board in, but it's not.

Advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

(I already sent a message to Gainward & ZipZoomFly about this, but
don't
expect a speedy reply - I never do...)

Thanks,

~ Rich

Considering everything you did, I don't know why you even bother asking.
Return the card.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

Old October 10th 03, 10:30 PM
mimayin

I purchased exactly the same card, from microdirect, and it was damaged on
arrival. machine either rebooted or froze upon loading windows, and the one
occasion it did load i got an error, clicked ok and got a black screen with
vertical green lines at the top. naturally sent it back for a refund. maybe
a dodgy batch of gainward 5900's? who knows. send it back. i got the MSI
version instead, better cooling peace.

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old October 11th 03, 02:37 PM
CHARLES NAVOICHICK

send it back i had the same problem, got another from new egg, it worked
perfectly, gainward has admitted to having bad lot of cards

Old October 12th 03, 08:43 PM
Mike Lamb

Dunno bout you'all but I've seen a lot of
defective Gainwards.
There has even been articles written on them being
so defective at Overclockers.com.
And Newegg had a massive write in on their ratings
about the Gaineard v cards at one time.
So here on this board we have a lot of Gainward
defective v cards. I don't think I'll be buying a
Gainward.

Mike

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service

in the World! 100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers -

Total Privacy via Encryption =---