Club3d 9800Pro -> Asus 5900 Ultra

Old September 21st 03, 05:04 PM
StephanBS

Default Club3d 9800Pro -> Asus 5900 Ultra

Hi I was since 3dfx voodoo 2 a fan of Nvidia products! Since I needed a new
graficboard (after a ABIT GF 4200, 64MB), I decided to give the Radeon 9800
Pro a try (Club3d). On my Asus A7N8X i was not able to run any 3d
accelerated programs (games etc.) with the Club3d Radeon. I always run into
a system lock.... A second try with another Club3d card did not help me...
- so far for WinXP...
As I am a Linux user who likes to play his favorite games with Suse Linux I
was not really able to get the Radeon driver installed! Very bad...

I decided to get a Asus 5900 Ultra. Now with the 5900 Ultra there are no
more system locks. The Nvidia Linux driver has been installed without any
problems (like usual). So I am happy now with my new board... :-)

The only thing that makes me nervous are all these comparabel benchmarks
that seem to give the Radeon a big advantage in some upcoming DX9 games over
the 5900 Ultra....

Old September 21st 03, 09:45 PM
Rich Selmon

Well, the Half-Life 2 vs nVida and ATI is a very touchy subject (especially
here in the nVidia group). nVidia are claiming miracles for their Detonator
50 drivers (which they have done in the past), and neither those or
Half-Life 2 are out yet. If you plan on using Linux as your primary OS, you
are probably better off with an nVidia card no matter what the benchs are,
because nVida has a much more robust Linux driver than ATI. If the
performance is really a concern for you, wait until both the Detonator 50
drivers and Half-Life 2 are actually out, then decide. The only info we
have now are from Gabe Newell (who should know what he is talking about) and
various other unsubstantiated sources. Good luck!!

Rich S.

Old September 22nd 03, 04:33 AM
John Lewis

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:45:52 GMT, "Rich Selmon"
wrote:

Well, the Half-Life 2 vs nVida and ATI is a very touchy subject (especially
here in the nVidia group). nVidia are claiming miracles for their Detonator
50 drivers (which they have done in the past), and neither those or
Half-Life 2 are out yet. If you plan on using Linux as your primary OS, you
are probably better off with an nVidia card no matter what the benchs are,
because nVida has a much more robust Linux driver than ATI. If the
performance is really a concern for you, wait until both the Detonator 50
drivers and Half-Life 2 are actually out, then decide. The only info we
have now are from Gabe Newell (who should know what he is talking about) and
various other unsubstantiated sources. Good luck!!

Compatibility (backward, forward, OS) ------------- nVidia
DX9 performance ------------- Ati ( for the moment, anyway )

John Lewis
Old September 22nd 03, 09:07 AM
Nada

"StephanBS" wrote:
[...]

The one truly great thing about 5900 and 5800 graphics cards is that
you can hit poor people with them and make them bend down deep in the
running sand. Rich nerds haven't had this much fun since Voodoo 5500
or the Dawn nude patch.
Old September 22nd 03, 02:44 PM
JN

"Nada" wrote in message
om...
The one truly great thing about 5900 and 5800 graphics cards is that
you can hit poor people with them and make them bend down deep in the
running sand.

shut up and bend down

Old September 23rd 03, 09:17 AM
Nada

"JN" wrote:
"Nada" wrote:
The one truly great thing about 5900 and 5800 graphics cards is that
you can hit poor people with them and make them bend down deep in the
running sand.

shut up and bend down

I just duck and cover.