PNY GeForce FX 5900 core speed = 300Mhz ?

Old September 8th 03, 02:08 AM
Ilya Slutsker

Default PNY GeForce FX 5900 core speed = 300Mhz ?

Dear All,

I have one question. I today bought VERTO PNY GeForce FX 5900
at a local compusa for 219.99
I replaced Geforce 4 ti4200 by it.
I have Athlon xp 2000 on Asus A7v266-E/AA with 1G of Crucial pc2100,
nothing overclocked.
My MB has AGP 4x as a maximum, and so it runs.
Driver is 44.03 WHQL, system XP Home.

I run Powerstrip, and it showed memory speed - 850 Mhz, and
engine speed - 300 Mhz. On the box It says : core clock - 400 Mhz.

Benchmark now is 3Dmark2001sse = 11200 (up from 9400)
3DMark2003 = 4760 (Up from 1400).
UT2003 Antalus Flyby : 125 (up from 90).

Although I am very glad with performance so far (Mainly UT2003 -
running
now with everything maxed up 1600x1200), I still have a question :
Why is it showing 300 Mhz in Powerstrip? Is it a result of running
at AGP 4x instead of 8x (which I apparently can not reach as of now)?
Or can powerstrip be mistaken? Is there any other test I can run to
check the speed? Or may be I got some "budget" version (all right ,
considering price) but why it says on the box 400 Mhz?

I do not want to overclock anything, and system is running all right
as it is,
but I am curious. I can not probably improve benchmarks too much
considering
my current CPU/MB/RAM , but I wonder , may be I can get 400 Mhz out of
the core somehow? But then if the 300 Mhz is the right setup for the
Card I do not want to accidentally overclock anything.

Please let me know if anybody had any experience like mine.

With best regards
Ilya Slutsker
Old September 8th 03, 07:33 AM
McGrandpa

"Ilya Slutsker" wrote in message
om
Dear All,

I have one question. I today bought VERTO PNY GeForce FX 5900
at a local compusa for 219.99
I replaced Geforce 4 ti4200 by it.
I have Athlon xp 2000 on Asus A7v266-E/AA with 1G of Crucial pc2100,
nothing overclocked.
My MB has AGP 4x as a maximum, and so it runs.
Driver is 44.03 WHQL, system XP Home.

---snip---

I have the same card running right now, and the same driver set, 44.03
You don't need Power Strip to see or set the cards speeds. You can do
that with the driver and the 'cool bits' reg hack.
In the driver applet, select Clock Frequencies, and you will see a one
line scroll box. It has two items available, Standard 2D (300 mHz core,
default) and Performance 3D (400 mHz core).
The driver and card default to 300 mHz "Standard 2D". When I saw that,
I changed it to 400 and left it there. Still runs at minimum temp

I also have a AGP2.0 mobo, and so am running at AGP4X. But I have a 400
mHz fsb, PC800 rdram and 2.0 gHz processor. Things will look a little
faster on this rig than yours. Not a lot.
But changing GPU core to 400 mHz made a difference playing the games!
McG.

gigabyte Ga8-iHXP, P4-2.0A gHz, 1 gig PC800 rdram, PNY FX5900-128 (and I
paid $399 for mine just a month ago!!!), XP Pro, Det. 44.03 running.

Old September 8th 03, 07:36 AM
Jim Jackson

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 06:33:43 GMT, "McGrandpa" wrote:

"Ilya Slutsker" wrote in message
. com
[...]

Should be fine..
Old September 9th 03, 03:48 AM
Ilya Slutsker

"McGrandpa" wrote in message ...
[...]

Dear McG,

thanks for your answer. I found the place with "Clock Frequencies" in
the Driver Control Panel. I changed setting from Standard(2D) to
Performance(3D), then clicked "Apply". But After that if I call that
control panel it still shows Standard(2D) 300 Mhz. Powerstrip and
3DMark2003 show also 300 Mhz.
How to make it stick? Or maybe it switches to the 3D mode only when 3D
application starts?
Thanks again,
-Ilya Slutsker
Old September 9th 03, 02:10 PM
McGrandpa

"McGrandpa" wrote in message
[...]

In the same page where you changed it, look in the lower right for
"apply these settings at startup", then tell it OK to do it anyway, then
restart the system and see if you're now at 400 mHz core.
McG.

Old September 9th 03, 02:32 PM
chainbreaker

Ilya Slutsker wrote:
Dear McG,

thanks for your answer. I found the place with "Clock Frequencies" in
the Driver Control Panel. I changed setting from Standard(2D) to
Performance(3D), then clicked "Apply". But After that if I call that
control panel it still shows Standard(2D) 300 Mhz. Powerstrip and
3DMark2003 show also 300 Mhz.
How to make it stick? Or maybe it switches to the 3D mode only when 3D
application starts?
Thanks again,
-Ilya Slutsker

If you have the shareware or trial version of powerstrip, I'm not sure it
supports all features. Go to http://download.guru3d.com/nvhardpage/ and
get this utility. Use it to open up the overclocking tab in the reference
nVidia drivers and change the clock speed from there. Be sure to check the
apply on startup box. After you do that, don't worry about what Powerstrip
says any more.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

Old September 10th 03, 03:43 PM
TomG

I may be wrong here but I have come to think that the drop down is just a
way to view what clock frequencies will be in use in 2D and 3D modes, not to
set the card to a mode. in other words, you select 2D and see the clock
frequencies that will be used by the card while in 2D apps and then you
select 3D and you see the frequencies that will be used while in 3D apps and
can make adjustments to the two modes accordingly.

again, could be wrong...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Old September 10th 03, 08:17 PM
JC

That seem to make sense, is there a program that will tell you at what speed
the GPU is actually running ?

JC

Old September 10th 03, 09:12 PM
JC

Yes it is correct, the settings will change as Thomas thought.
The interesting thing is, in my Asylum FX5900 non-ultra, activating coolbits
and selecting "auto detect" it will up my 3D settings to 490/950 after doing
some sort of check. I have then tested some stuff (UT2k3 bench and a couple
3DMark tests), the results were not that much higher though the card ran
hotter making conclude that in fact GPU and memory run faster, but my system
does seem to have a bottleneck somewhere and the results are not impressive,
guess my AMD XP2200 need to retire for something faster and my PC2100 RAM
also and replace them for something up to par with my KT400 motherboard. I
can't think of anything else that might be slowing my computer down, since
around 11000 3Dmarks seem very low ???
My basic system specs are
Abit KD7-RAID mobo
AMD XP2200
1Gb PC2100 DDR
enermax 430W PSU
2 x 160Gb Maxtor Diamond Plus RAID0
SB Audigy2 Platinum
WinXP Pro

JC

Old September 10th 03, 09:28 PM
TomG

well, there are many. PowerStrip and there is anther one called
NVHARDPAGE.ZIP from guru3d.com