More Power

Old August 10th 03, 11:13 PM
Dragon

Default More Power

I have just got myself a new gigabyte board 400 and I am getting a geforce
fx 5600 tmrw, my question is do I need to get a bigger power supply for my
case or will the 300watt one be okay, if not what power should I get 350 or
400watt

cheers Dave

Old August 11th 03, 01:57 AM
Timothy Drouillard

The Molex connector people mention is just another name for the 4-conductor
power connector used on most drives HD/CD/etc.

The newer higher-end FX cards require more power than the AGP motherboard
connector can furnish, so they put a standard 4-conductor power connector on
the video card to allow you to connect one of your power supply cables that
would normally plug into a drive, to plug it into the connector on the video
card.

"Dragon" wrote in message
what is molex connectors mean, are they new as i am new to the fx cards

and
i only have one hard drive but one cdrom and a writer and a dvd writer

cheers

--

"Derek Wildstar" wrote in message

"Dragon" wrote in message
I have just got myself a new gigabyte board 400 and I am getting a

geforce
fx 5600 tmrw, my question is do I need to get a bigger power supply

for
my
case or will the 300watt one be okay, if not what power should I get

350
or
400watt

Buy a brand name PSU, and spend as much as you can afford. Wattage is

not
relevant to your system board, but mostly to your choice of CPU, how

many
HDD's you're spinning, video card is a factor (FX's have molex

connectors),
as is how much RAM you have.

Try the Antec Tru-power series or the Enermax FCA's, they perform well
enough.

Old August 11th 03, 06:52 PM
Timothy Drouillard

I know that my FX5900Ultra does have the molex connector on the video card.

"Keith Clark" wrote in message

Derek Wildstar wrote:

"Dragon" wrote in message
I have just got myself a new gigabyte board 400 and I am getting a

geforce
fx 5600 tmrw, my question is do I need to get a bigger power supply

for my
case or will the 300watt one be okay, if not what power should I get

350
or
400watt

Buy a brand name PSU, and spend as much as you can afford. Wattage is

not
relevant to your system board, but mostly to your choice of CPU, how

many
HDD's you're spinning, video card is a factor (FX's have molex

connectors),
as is how much RAM you have.

Try the Antec Tru-power series or the Enermax FCA's, they perform well
enough.

First, read the new Anandtech power supply round-up / review. The columns

on
"actual wattage" vs "advertised wattage" is very revealing.

In short, the only power supply out of 18 that they tested that came even
"close" to it's advertised power was a PC Power and Cooling.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841 (will be slow, because it

was
Slashdotted today)

That said, I'm running a cheap ($50) 450 watt (advertised rating) supply.

It has
two fans and is surprisingly quiet.

I have 4 hard drives in the system : two 18 GB SCSI drives for the OS's

(Win2K
on one drive and Linux on the other drive) because they have very low seek

times
and are *silent*, and and two IDE drives (an 80 GB and a 120 GB). There is

an
extra case fan. The MB is a P4P800 Deluxe, with two SCSI cards (one for my
scanner), a PCI ethernet card and a PCI sound card (because the onboard

sound
and ethernet don't work in Linux). The CPU is a P4 2.4C running at 3.2 GHZ

and
there are two 256 MB DDR DIMMs.

The video card in the system is an MSI FX5600VTDR.

The system is stable and according to the Asus hardware monitor the

voltages are
stable.

Anyway, I didn't see any "molex" on my FX card.

But my other point is that for $50 for a "450 W" supply you can't go wrong

and
that's a pretty cheap price to pay.

--Keith

Old August 12th 03, 01:01 AM
Helion

Depends on the manufacturer is.... I know for fact some of the FX5600 Ultras
do.... my bro-in-law has a PNY and it does have a molex connector. Never
seen a FX5200 with one though.

Old August 12th 03, 01:04 AM
Keith Clark

Helion wrote:

Depends on the manufacturer is.... I know for fact some of the FX5600 Ultras
do.... my bro-in-law has a PNY and it does have a molex connector. Never
seen a FX5200 with one though.

OK. My post was more of a "statement" than anything else. I wasn't doubting that
some boards have Molex connectors and I sure hope it didn't sound that way...

--Keith

Old August 12th 03, 01:34 AM
bluestringer

"Helion" wrote in message
. com...
Depends on the manufacturer is.... I know for fact some of the FX5600

Ultras
do.... my bro-in-law has a PNY and it does have a molex connector. Never
seen a FX5200 with one though.

The PNY 5200 Ultra does have a molex connector also. All the Ultras I have
seen have one.

bluestringer

Old August 12th 03, 07:26 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Keith Clark" wrote in message

First, read the new Anandtech power supply round-up / review. The columns

on
"actual wattage" vs "advertised wattage" is very revealing.

I quote, from the link you provided:

"In our opinion, it would be more cost effective to get the 430W TruePower
(vs the 330w version), which also won our roundup a few months ago."

Anyway, I didn't see any "molex" on my FX card.

Therefore, they don't exist? You have a talent for painting with a broad
brush.

And finally, about the enermax, from the same link:

"Unfortunately, with any quality component, the EG465AX-VE is expensive.
Most vendors carry the unit for about $85, which prices it aggressively for
system builders. We were very pleased with the performance of this unit, as
well."

So what faults do you find with those two recommendations?

Old August 12th 03, 07:27 PM
Keith Clark

Derek Wildstar wrote:

"Keith Clark" wrote in message

First, read the new Anandtech power supply round-up / review. The columns

on
"actual wattage" vs "advertised wattage" is very revealing.

I quote, from the link you provided:

"In our opinion, it would be more cost effective to get the 430W TruePower
(vs the 330w version), which also won our roundup a few months ago."

Anyway, I didn't see any "molex" on my FX card.

Therefore, they don't exist? You have a talent for painting with a broad
brush.

You didn't see my next post, I guess. You completely misread what I was saying.

Dead computer? Patty Homebuilt PC's 63 February 4th 05 08:06 AM
power on /reset switch problems chris Homebuilt PC's 5 January 4th 05 02:52 PM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 10:42 PM
Won't Power Up after Power Outage Greg Lovern Homebuilt PC's 7 February 8th 04 01:47 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 07:54 PM