Aperture size - Can I change it within the OS or MUST it be in the bios?

Old August 6th 03, 10:59 PM
Biz

http://tinyurl.com/j8ay

This URL will work better.....
"Sebastian A. Potthoff" wrote in message
Well, maybe then you can tell me how to access the BIOS on a Toshiba
Satellite 5200-XXX...

As far as I know, it is not possible... Please tell me if you know more.

Thanks,
Sebastian

"Steve" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have worked on a lot of laptops.. Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, HP ,Sony,

etc....
have yet to run into one where I cannot access the BIOS. You may have to

hit
a differnet ket than F1 or Del to get into it but so far I have been
successful. In fact many of them you can set a boot up paswword that you

set
in the BIOS. So like I asked, what mfgs don't let you in? (plenty is not

an
anwser).

"Strontium" wrote in message
Plenty....

-
Steve stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

what manufacturer makes it so you can't access BIOS?

"Strontium" wrote in message
Depends on mfg.

-
Bratboy stood up at show-n-tell, in , and
said:

really do think that is only controlable via bios. I didnt realize
you couldn't access bios on laptops myself

"Sebastian A. Potthoff"
wrote in message ...
Hi,

is there a way to change the aperture size within the OS or must it
be in the Bios. Since I have a laptop that does not allow any
chance of accessing the BIOS, I need to find a way how to change
it from within the OS.

Is there a way to do that?

Kind regards,
Sebastian A. Potthoff

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old August 7th 03, 02:57 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

It sounds like you have the typical confusion of someone that just read
their A+ certification book...

**** off, troll.

NuTs

"Strontium" wrote in message
I was referring to NEWBIES that don't know how to get into CMOS (BIOS for
wannabe know-it-alls). So, your point, is moot. Of course BIOS (AKA CMOS
FOR THOSE THAT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT) is accessible.
But, dependent on different mfg's, the key to be pressed to get in
varies....SMARTASS.

OH WAIT! I see that you are from Rochester, NY....That explains quite a
bit. I did research in upstate New York, back in `93. You East Coasters
got sticks up your asses...Just my impression.

Besides, OEM BIOS versions are total crap and really don't have any

options
for the end user. So, accessing CMOS on a laptop (inherently proprietary)
is useless, unless you just love looking at the time stamp.

Want more of an answer, asshole?

-
, and said:

I have worked on a lot of laptops.. Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, HP ,Sony,
etc.... have yet to run into one where I cannot access the BIOS. You
may have to hit a differnet ket than F1 or Del to get into it but so
far I have been successful. In fact many of them you can set a boot
up paswword that you set in the BIOS. So like I asked, what mfgs
don't let you in? (plenty is not an anwser).

"Strontium" wrote in message
Plenty....

-
, and said:

what manufacturer makes it so you can't access BIOS?

"Strontium" wrote in message
Depends on mfg.

-

Old August 7th 03, 06:27 AM
Derek Wildstar

"Strontium" wrote in message
I was referring to NEWBIES that don't know how to get into CMOS (BIOS for
wannabe know-it-alls). So, your point, is moot. Of course BIOS (AKA CMOS
FOR THOSE THAT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT) is accessible.
But, dependent on different mfg's, the key to be pressed to get in
varies....SMARTASS.

OH WAIT! I see that you are from Rochester, NY....That explains quite a
bit. I did research in upstate New York, back in `93. You East Coasters
got sticks up your asses...Just my impression.

Besides, OEM BIOS versions are total crap and really don't have any

options
for the end user. So, accessing CMOS on a laptop (inherently proprietary)
is useless, unless you just love looking at the time stamp.

Want more of an answer, asshole?

You are now officially labeled a know nothing, time for you to find another
group.

Old August 7th 03, 06:55 AM
Strontium

Oooooh, my feewings awe sooooooow huwt!

-
NuT CrAcKeR stood up at show-n-tell, in , and

, and said:

I have worked on a lot of laptops.. Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, HP ,Sony,
etc.... have yet to run into one where I cannot access the BIOS. You
may have to hit a differnet ket than F1 or Del to get into it but so
far I have been successful. In fact many of them you can set a boot
up paswword that you set in the BIOS. So like I asked, what mfgs
don't let you in? (plenty is not an anwser).

"Strontium" wrote in message
Plenty....

-
, and said:

what manufacturer makes it so you can't access BIOS?

"Strontium" wrote in message
Depends on mfg.

-

Old August 7th 03, 01:57 PM
John Russell

"Sebastian A. Potthoff" wrote in
message ...
Thank you Biz!
I know that utility. But it only offers the possibility to change very

basic
settings like boot-order etc. There are no "tweakable" settings really...

Might there be a way to "hack" a bios?...

The is a utility called modbin which can edit a PC bios. If your lucky the
agp setting will have a disabled bios control setting in the bios menu.
Modbin can enable that control so that the AGP setting can be changed. If
not you need to find the AGP aperture in the bios fixed data which isn't
easy as this data dosn't have names pointing indicating what the data is.

Old August 7th 03, 10:54 PM
Soapm

Want more of an answer, asshole?

You really impress me. Really, you do. A person comes to a news group for
advise. You give him a wrong answer because in your opion he has not earned
the right to have the answer. Then you call others an asshole? How can you
breath with your snooty big ass head stuck so far up your pompus ass that we
see **** stains in your eyes?

Old August 7th 03, 11:14 PM
Dave

"John Russell" wrote in message

"Sebastian A. Potthoff" wrote in
message ...
Thank you Biz!
I know that utility. But it only offers the possibility to change very

basic
settings like boot-order etc. There are no "tweakable" settings

really...

Might there be a way to "hack" a bios?...

The is a utility called modbin which can edit a PC bios. If your lucky the
agp setting will have a disabled bios control setting in the bios menu.
Modbin can enable that control so that the AGP setting can be changed. If
not you need to find the AGP aperture in the bios fixed data which isn't
easy as this data dosn't have names pointing indicating what the data is.

Mess up with modbin and you're in for a headache. Seen it happen (not to
me). I've used it to add newer CPUID support for older mobos (and a few
unmentionable diabolical purposes...), but beyond this, I wouldn't recommend
messing about too much with it for the average user...

Old August 8th 03, 12:48 AM
Strontium

Blah.

-
Soapm stood up at show-n-tell, in

Old August 8th 03, 03:03 AM
Steve

You're pretty tough behind that keyboard Strontium. By the way, what are you
going to do when your mummy finds out you post using bad language? Careful
now... you don't want your privledges supended. Then you'll have to dust off
your blow up doll since you won't have anything else to jerk off to.

"Strontium" wrote in message
Blah.

-

Old August 8th 03, 07:45 AM
Strontium

Oh. Such wit. At least I can let it go. Get a life.

-
, and said:

You're pretty tough behind that keyboard Strontium. By the way, what
are you going to do when your mummy finds out you post using bad
language? Careful now... you don't want your privledges supended.
Then you'll have to dust off your blow up doll since you won't have
anything else to jerk off to.

"Strontium" wrote in message
Blah.

-
, and said:

Want more of an answer, asshole?

You really impress me. Really, you do. A person comes to a news
group for advise. You give him a wrong answer because in your
opion he has not earned the right to have the answer. Then you call
others an asshole? How can you breath with your snooty big ass head
stuck so
far up your pompus ass that we see **** stains in your eyes?

--

---

Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. 'Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Aperture size Sheldon Roger Ati Videocards 18 December 9th 03 12:29 AM
Formatted Size of HD [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 5 October 28th 03 01:44 PM
Agp aperture size Christian General 2 October 28th 03 01:43 AM
Formatting HD - What is max size of C partition? Ralph Wade Phillips Homebuilt PC's 9 September 11th 03 01:46 PM
Exceed mobo maximum HD size with RAID? kony General 1 July 21st 03 05:32 AM