ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis ???

Old December 16th 04, 05:49 PM
HHI

Default ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis ???

My sons all 3 of them want this ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis for xmas
it is selling for $143, Since I am new to the world of Video Cards can
someone tell me if this is a bargain or not. I believe they are wanting to
play Doom III and they all have GHz machines with 512MB DDR. Any help or
suggestions as to what to buy would be appreciated.

Old December 16th 04, 07:09 PM
JLC

"HHI" wrote in message
My sons all 3 of them want this ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis for
xmas
it is selling for $143, Since I am new to the world of Video Cards can
someone tell me if this is a bargain or not. I believe they are wanting to
play Doom III and they all have GHz machines with 512MB DDR. Any help or
suggestions as to what to buy would be appreciated.

The Atlantis model of the 9800 is a stripped down version of the 9800pro.
The difference is that the Atlantis only has a 128bit bus vs. a true
9800pro with a 256bit bus. Makes a big difference in the performance of the
card. For a real 9800pro you're looking at around $200.
I sure wise I had a Dad that would buy me a 9800pro for Christmas JLC

Old December 16th 04, 07:49 PM
JimBob

JLC wrote:
I sure wise I had a Dad that would buy me a 9800pro for Christmas
JLC

If you have been a good boy, santa may bring it to you. Keep your iccle
fingers crossed.

--
Get a grip

Old December 16th 04, 08:51 PM
HHI

Thanks, I have 3 to buy so I am looking for the best deal that will still be
able to run Doom III as well as some of the other newer games..Any other
suggestions?

Old December 17th 04, 12:16 AM
John

HHI wrote:
Thanks, I have 3 to buy so I am looking for the best deal that will
still be able to run Doom III as well as some of the other newer
games..Any other suggestions?

Some more specs on the pc's the cards will be going into would be helpful.
There's no point fitting a fast card if the pc it's going in won't run it to
it's full potential.

Old December 17th 04, 01:47 AM
First of One

If I interpreted your message correctly, a 1.0 GHz CPU would be quite slow
for playing Doom 3, regardless of the video card.

Old December 17th 04, 03:24 AM
Shawk

"HHI" wrote in message

My sons all 3 of them want this ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis for
xmas
it is selling for $143, Since I am new to the world of Video Cards can
someone tell me if this is a bargain or not. I believe they are wanting

play Doom III and they all have GHz machines with 512MB DDR. Any help or
suggestions as to what to buy would be appreciated.

The Atlantis model of the 9800 is a stripped down version of the 9800pro.
The difference is that the Atlantis only has a 128bit bus vs. a true
9800pro with a 256bit bus. Makes a big difference in the performance of

the

card. For a real 9800pro you're looking at around $200.
I sure wise I had a Dad that would buy me a 9800pro for Christmas JLC

Just for info most Sapphire cards are called Atlantis. Atlantis does
NOT necessarily mean they are stripped down. They can be either 128bit
or 256bit. The 9800Pro SE is definitely 128bit. Make sure you go for
the 256bit. Shaun
Old December 17th 04, 03:24 AM
Shawk

"John" wrote in message

HHI wrote:

Thanks, I have 3 to buy so I am looking for the best deal that will
still be able to run Doom III as well as some of the other newer
games..Any other suggestions?

Some more specs on the pc's the cards will be going into would be helpful.
There's no point fitting a fast card if the pc it's going in won't run it

it's full potential.

Your first posting no longer shows up here.
Old December 17th 04, 04:11 AM
JLC

"Shawk" wrote in message
. ..

"HHI" wrote in message

[...]

Yes but at $143 you can pretty much bet that these are the 128bit models.
And I don't think that the name Atlantis stands for what it used to when it
comes to Sapphire cards. The Atlantis line used to be their top quality card
that came with a Zalman fan less heatsink. But since Sapphire introduced
their 128bit cards, these now carry the Atlantis name. Why they would do
something like this is very confusing. JLC