ati cards and non ati drivers

Old September 24th 04, 11:01 AM
bob brozewicz (news group)

Default ati cards and non ati drivers

hi all,

i posted this the other day with no responses. since then i have read
about omega drivers. what are these and are the compatible with ati
cards. i started to look for more information but what to know if
someone could explain what these drivers are.

after reading about the problems that ati has with its catalyst drivers
and some peoples systems it made we wonder, are there other drivers that
are not made by ati that will work with there cards?

just curious.

im running the 4.9 and dont seem to have any issues after i went to a
350 watt power supply.

bob brozewicz
Old September 24th 04, 11:19 AM
Bill Crocker

I believe the Omega drivers are compatible with most ATI cards. I'm sure,
somewhere on the web site, it should cover this. I've tried them, from
time, to time, and have not noticed any marked difference.

It makes sense to me, that ATI's own drivers, would deliver the best overall
performance, within safe operating parameters, not causing risk of damage to
the card.

Bill Crocker

Old September 24th 04, 01:10 PM
J. Clarke

bob brozewicz (news group) wrote:

hi all,

i posted this the other day with no responses. since then i have read
about omega drivers. what are these and are the compatible with ati
cards. i started to look for more information but what to know if
someone could explain what these drivers are.

after reading about the problems that ati has with its catalyst drivers
and some peoples systems it made we wonder, are there other drivers that
are not made by ati that will work with there cards?

just curious.

im running the 4.9 and dont seem to have any issues after i went to a
350 watt power supply.

The Omega drivers are the standard ATI drivers with the configuration
settings fine-tuned for gaming instead of general use.

bob brozewicz

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old September 24th 04, 03:39 PM
Eugen T

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
bob brozewicz (news group) wrote:

hi all,

i posted this the other day with no responses. since then i have read
about omega drivers. what are these and are the compatible with ati
cards. i started to look for more information but what to know if
someone could explain what these drivers are.

after reading about the problems that ati has with its catalyst drivers
and some peoples systems it made we wonder, are there other drivers that
are not made by ati that will work with there cards?

just curious.

im running the 4.9 and dont seem to have any issues after i went to a
350 watt power supply.

The Omega drivers are the standard ATI drivers with the configuration
settings fine-tuned for gaming instead of general use.

Yes, Omega drivers are fine-tuned Catalyst drivers, which usually outperform
Catalyst in benchmarks. Also, they are more stable than stupid Catalyst
drivers - I did find them to perform much better with 8500 and 9700 series
cards. The only card that gets lower results in benchmarks is my new
PowerColor 9600Pro EZ, but I need to do some more tweaking on it
There is also an option in Omega drivers for CS players to get better
frame-rate on newer cards =)

Old September 24th 04, 03:40 PM
Eugen T

Omega drivers are compatible with ALL ATI cards. Check out their websites.
And no, ATI's own drivers do not deliver best overall performance - that's
why there are tweaked drivers out there like Omega and at least 3 other
types.

Old September 24th 04, 05:33 PM
Lenny

Also, they are more stable than stupid Catalyst drivers

These so-called "omega" drivers are nothing but ye average catalyst drivers
with .inf files that someone's ****ed around with. The drivers themselves
are binary files and can't be modified except by disassembling them and
reverse-engineering the hardware to see how it all works, which frankly
requires more time and patience than I expect anyone to be able to offer up.

There is also an option in Omega drivers for CS players to get better
frame-rate on newer cards =)

Why would you need that in CS? It runs at 100+ fps on any half decent 3D
card from the last 5 years or so.

Old September 24th 04, 05:42 PM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:39:22 -0400, "Eugen T"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
[...]

The ' God Bless ' man himself tells you that the Omega's are optimized
for gaming not benchmarking.

They are not for benchmarks, but are excellent gaming drivers.

BoroLad
Old September 24th 04, 06:53 PM
Aki Peltola

"Eugen T" wrote
Omega drivers are compatible with ALL ATI cards. Check out their
websites. And no, ATI's own drivers do not deliver best overall
performance - that's why there are tweaked drivers out there like
Omega and at least 3 other types.

And difference between all those modded drivers in
practice is something like 1fps and max 100 points in
3DMark compared to official Catalysts, so we are
certainly talking about massive differences here :-)

Not to mention that old familiar "Whoa, this game truly
FEELS like running smoother with these drivers!" thing.

Isn't it always like that when people update their drivers,
everything mystically feels like running much better.
Advertisements from the driver's author also do help a
bit creating this illusion...

Old September 25th 04, 01:57 AM
John Hall

I wonder why ATI doesn't tweak their own drivers. After all, they have the
engineers who compiled the drivers in the first place. I have used the
Omega drivers and I don't think there is anything wrong with them. But I
don't believe the drivers themselves are tweaked. I think that Omega just
adds a bunch of cool tools and a different Control Panel interface to help
the overclockers.

JK

"Eugen T" wrote