Fraud on ebay?

Old February 3rd 04, 04:33 PM
Skid

Default Fraud on ebay?

You have been ripped off. It's not a 9700 Pro unless it's clocked at
325/310, and there is no "made-by" ATI card clocked at the speeds you
report.

If you go to www.ati.com there are some product idenfication links that will
help you figure out what you actually got.

"JL" wrote in message
Hi all,

Iīve just received an ATI RADEON 9700 PRO that bought on ebay for
$210. I've installed it together with the new catalyst 4.1 and I'm
starting to feel I've been a victim of a fraud.

Now here is the story:

1. The card has NO sticker on it (no serial number, no model sticker,
no anything)
2. It boots and works okay but when I check with Atitools or Rivatuner
the default clock speeds it says: 297(GPU) 270(Mem)
3. When I put the clock at what it should be the standard settings
(325-310) the whole screen becomes a big artifact and have to shut
down my computer.

I've been reading that there are a lot of modded cards around and
getting the feeling this is one (could also be a faulty one)

Can you please give me hints about how to be completely sure what I'm
dealing here? (could it be a drivers problem?) I need to know before I
contact the guys and/or my credit card company.

Any prompt help will be more than appreciated. I have this bad stomach
feeling of been ripped off (((

TIA

JL

Old February 3rd 04, 04:41 PM
Dodgy

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:33:45 GMT, "Skid"
waffled on about something:

You have been ripped off. It's not a 9700 Pro unless it's clocked at
325/310, and there is no "made-by" ATI card clocked at the speeds you
report.

If you go to www.ati.com there are some product idenfication links that will
help you figure out what you actually got.

There's some pictures at http://softmod.ocfaq.com/faq.php which might
help IDing.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old February 3rd 04, 05:15 PM
Andrew

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:04:22 +0100, JL wrote:

Now is time to test how things work in ebay when you run across
frauds.

What was the rating for the seller you bought the item from?

Please let me know if you have any suggestion on how to deal with this
situation. It will be more than welcome.

Be polite, the seller may not have been aware of exactly what they
were selling. Express your disatisfaction and ask for a refund.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old February 3rd 04, 05:16 PM
JTS

Hey you're not stupid JL. I would have expected to get what was advertised.

One recommendation: GIVE 'EM HELL!!!

Todd

"JL" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:41:51 +0000, Dodgy
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:33:45 GMT, "Skid"
waffled on about something:

You have been ripped off. It's not a 9700 Pro unless it's clocked at
325/310, and there is no "made-by" ATI card clocked at the speeds you
report.

If you go to www.ati.com there are some product idenfication links that

will
help you figure out what you actually got.

There's some pictures at http://softmod.ocfaq.com/faq.php which might
help IDing.

D0d6y.

Thanks. It looks like I have a 9500 pro that's been modded... God damn
it!

Now is time to test how things work in ebay when you run across
frauds.

I'll keep you posted with the outcome (for those out there in similar
situations)

Please let me know if you have any suggestion on how to deal with this
situation. It will be more than welcome.

Any other technical info is appreciated.

Thanks all...

J "Ripped Off like a stupid" L

PS: I'll make sure the ebay shoper doesn't sell a damn item ever.

Old February 3rd 04, 05:30 PM
Andrew

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:22:52 +0100, JL wrote:

314!!!

How many negatives?

I've already sent them a "polite" email. Will let you know. You cannot
imagine how ****ed off I am! X(

I think I can! Fortunately the only time I had a bad buy on Ebay I
managed to get a refund in the end, but it took some work.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old February 3rd 04, 05:47 PM
GTX_SlotCar

Contact the seller and ask for a refund, then buy a 9800Pro at newegg for
$224 including shipping.
It may take some time (like 90 days), but in the end you should be able to
get it resolved through eBay without much loss.

Gary

Old February 3rd 04, 06:09 PM
Chip

"JL" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:47:04 -0500, "GTX_SlotCar"
wrote:

Contact the seller and ask for a refund, then buy a 9800Pro at newegg for
$224 including shipping.
It may take some time (like 90 days), but in the end you should be able

get it resolved through eBay without much loss.

The problem is that I have to decide whether I pay the item to my
Credit Card (still outstanding). If I pay for it and return the card
and then I donīt get refund for whatever reason they come up with then
I'm totally screwed.

Also, what happens with the shipping costs and the taxes I had to pay
(I'm in Europe)

Do you think they can refund me first?

Why did you say it would take 90 days?

JL

Just tell the credit card company that the transaction is in dispute. They
will mark it as such and not chase you for the money. You've got nothing to
lose in doing this. And you should *not* be paying for shipping or return
shipping costs either.

Chip.

Old February 3rd 04, 07:00 PM
WEST

I would definitely get PayPal involved.

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:27:58 +0100, JL wrote:

Guys I cannot thank you more for helping me here. It's nice to feel
the backup in situations like this.

Here is the latest news:

The seller claims they didn't know about it. (its still very
suspicious selling a card with all the id-s/n stickers removed that
happens to be a modded one)

They send they'll refund me once they verify it.

I think that given the fact that I paid with a gold card it's going to
be easier for me to use the insurance and let them deal with the whole
thing. Sending the card back and wait for a refund spells extra risk
(and cost)

Also, I made the payment through Paypal, should I involve them?

Thanks again guys!

JL

Old February 3rd 04, 07:30 PM
GTX_SlotCar

I've only glanced at the rules for disputing eBay claims, but they seem
pretty much the same as Yahoo Auctions and I've gone through it with them.
It went something like this: Notify auction people, email the seller and
wait 2 weeks for a reply, call the seller and wait for reply and mail the
seller and wait for reply. Contact adjuster with all your backup and letters
from the credit card company saying they won't cover it, and wait for reply,
go through everything again then wait 45 days for payment.
Basically, they tried to make it so it's not worth pursuing.

I'd make eBay and PayPal aware of what's going on, but if you can stop
payment with your credit card and work with the seller that way, it might be
better.

I really feel bad for you. I remember how I felt.

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old February 3rd 04, 08:23 PM
Tod

I agree that you (JL) should call your credit card company (or bank) and
dispute the charge.
Credit card companies will side with the card holder.
And you only have a limited time to dispute a charge (15-30 days from date
product was ordered ?)
Ship the card back to the seller, ship it at your own expense (not COD),
make sure you get confirmation of delivery.
Take some close up pictures of the card before you shipping it back,
you may have to prove that the seller is a fraud.
(no markings or serial numbers, really sounds like fraud to me)

As long as the seller has your money, they might just sit on their ass.
They might want things drag out , while you go though the "EBay system"
so as it will be to late for you to dispute the charge.