AIW 9800 Pro overvoltage issue?

Old September 20th 03, 05:37 PM
tempName

Default AIW 9800 Pro overvoltage issue?

While searching for answers as to why my Dell Optiplex GX270 won't boot with
the AIW 9800 Pro, I came across this post in the Dell support forums:

"Hey,
I noticed that you all are having the same problems I had with my card. So
I did what every good tekkie would do and contacted ATI (no response yet)
and my PC vendor (withheld). I tested this with a 350-Watt Enermax
powersupply and even tested it again with a 500-Watt supply. (My PC only
has a 225 watt supply)

My first inclination was that the All-in-Wonder (AIW) 9800 Pro card was a
power monger. Turns out its not really. (Except for the fact that it has a
little fan that is powered from my floppy connector)

There is an overvoltage error with certain models of the AIW 9800 Pro card.
On a 3.3v line it pulls too much power and should activate the overvoltage
protection (assuming your motherboard is outfitted with it) and hence,
shutdown before causing damage to your card and your motherboard. In the
sense that the AGP 8x slot is fed by the power going through the
motherboard. Now don't freak out and get a replacement motherboard or think
your stuff is damaged; its not. Some people I have talked to reported that
they were able to get one of these AIW 9800 Pro cards to powerup (though
unstable!) if they connected just their AIW and motherboard to a power
supply (any will do, 150+) then connect the rest of their components (CD,
HDD, Floppy, PCMCIA, Extra fans etc.) to a second power supply. Obviously
they powered up the second power supply before throwing the switch on the PS
connected to the MB and AIW card. ATI has not responded to myself nor to
some vendors I have been in contact with. Rumor has it that it can be
resolved with a BIOS update that they have not come out with yet.
Otherwise, there is only one thing to do with a defective
circuitboard...make a Christmas (or insert your religous/favorite holiday
here) Ornament out of it.

If you walk away from this post with one thing, let it be that the AIW 9800
Pro card has a design flaw and it is not related to your power supply.

While this is a good first crack at solving the issue, chances are nobody
thought to look at the fine details (or in my case why the AGP overvoltage
LED light up and scared the daylights out of me)

You can try RMA'ing your AIW card and keep cross-shipping until you get one
that finally does not do it; or wait the storm out, pickup or use an older
Radeon card; and make sure you have not voided your warranty and return
policies from where you purchased it. Don't expect ATI to jump right out
and admit there is a physical defect in their cards, especially the current
flagship the 9800 is. It truly is an arsekicking card. The software, the
performance, are unlike anything I have seen for a PC; reminded me of an SGI
workstation I used to do modeling on, everything is just smooth and flowing

snip"

Is there any truth to this? Any additional info would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old September 20th 03, 06:03 PM
rms

Radeons do indeed have some power supply regulation issues. Doesn't seem to
bite most users tho. Hope they address this with r420.

rms

Old September 21st 03, 10:11 PM
butcher

I had the same problem with my 9700aiw. I assumed it was my
powersupply and sent it back. The new model worked fine.