GA-8ihxp ADDING AN EXTRA HARD DRIVE

Old September 16th 04, 04:46 PM
DavidM

Default GA-8ihxp ADDING AN EXTRA HARD DRIVE

Hi,

I am using a Gigabyte GA-8IHXP motherboard. I am using Windows XP SP 1. In
preparation for upgrading Windows to SP2 I want to fit a new hard drive to
act as a new back up system. (At present I have it all on zips/floppies and
Discs). It is my intention to ghost (using Norton Ghost) my System and all
data to the new drive - putting in relevant partitions where necessary.

My Motherboard supports four IDE channels.

Channels one and two are UDMA ATA 100/66 Bus Master IDE ports.

Channels three and four are UDMA ATA 133/100/66 Bus Master IDE ports

At present I have:

Channel One - CD ROM 52x with a ZIP 250 Drive on the additional connection

Channel Two - CD Read and writer 40/20/48 with nothing on additional
connection

Channels Three and Four have two Seagate Barracuda 20 gig hard drives, one
on each channel. These are set in Raid 1.0 stripe formation, which is my
Boot drive (they act as one drive). Nothing on the extra connections

I am thinking of putting a Seagate Barracuda 40 gb 7200.7 UDMA100 or a
Seagate Barracuda 80 gb 7200.7 UDMA100 in as my backup drive.

1. Can I place this on Channel two with the CD R/w disc. (There is a note in
the Gigabyte Motherboard quick installation guide that says "please connect
first hard drive to IDE One and connect CD-ROM to IDE 2". However I think
this refers to the Boot Drive being on IDE One and I am using IDE three and
Four as the Boot drive with the RAID configuration.)

2. If I can put it on IDE channel Two should I set it as master and the CD
R/W as slave, I have vague recollections about CD speed being affected by
Hard drives etc..

3. If I ghost my SYSTEM to the backup drive I assume I should be able to set
my BIOS to start from that drive - if so what affect if any would the fact
that it came from a RAID 1.0 Stripe configuration have on this, if any.

Many thanks for your help.

David M

first build.. problem Christo Abit Motherboards 21 September 10th 04 02:45 PM
Upgrade Report [Hardware Tips: Get the Right Hard Drive - 05/11/2004] Ablang General 0 May 16th 04 03:17 AM
Help... Gene Puhl Homebuilt PC's 3 April 10th 04 02:16 AM
How Move OS XP from Old to New HD? Nehmo Sergheyev Homebuilt PC's 80 January 12th 04 06:10 PM
Adding a Hard Drive Eric Scofield Homebuilt PC's 5 November 11th 03 03:16 AM