Problem with ASUS V9570 NVidia 5700 card and ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard

Old February 10th 04, 06:25 AM
MarkW

Default Problem with ASUS V9570 NVidia 5700 card and ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard

I have a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard and am using it with a ASUS
V9570 NVidia 5700 card. The odd problem is I get no picture in DOS.
It works fine in Windows but if I have to boot from floppy such as for
a BIOS update or during bootup before it goes into Windows the screen
is blank. As well, I had to do a recent reinstall of Windows and of
cousre it wouldn't display any of the actual screens from the CD-ROM
so I would have had to do it blindly except I put in a ATI AGP card
and it worked fine and I swapped cards after windows was installed.
I suspected at first it is simply one of the BIOS settings on the
motherboard but as I Said it worked fine with another AGP card. This
will be a rare problem since I'm always in Windows but I could still
run into problems again sometime in the future. As well, being they
are both ASUS I would think this type of problem wouldn't be going on.
As well, I use a Samsung 170s monitor if this helps. I thought it
could have something to do with an energy saver mode since the monitor
light blinks like it's in that mode. Any ideas?
Old February 10th 04, 08:33 AM
kony

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 05:25:52 GMT, MarkW
wrote:

[...]

If you can, return the video card to place of purchase.

An alternative might be to update the bios on the video card and/or
motherboard, though I have no idea if it'll help. If you'd never loaded
the bios defaults, do so after upgrading the (motherboard's) bios. At
that point if you still can't get video (and you can't return it to the
place of purchase) you might try getting the video card replaced by Asus,
and email them inquiring about this issue. I've seen a different Asus
motherboard also have similar behavior with a different nVidia video card,
think Asus is doing something to their motherboard BIOS which causes this
only with certain video cards (not even all cards of same video chipset or
make).

The monitor will go into energy saving mode(s) when there's no video
signal going to it... this is not an issue, not related to the problem,
beyond the fact that you have [no video going to the monitor].
Old February 11th 04, 05:45 AM
MarkW

I'll do that. I can't find any BIOS updates and I have the same card
in another computer with a different ASUS motherboard and I'm not
having the probelm on that PC so it is likely a defect. I did write
ASUS about it so will wait on a email back or either call them.
Old February 11th 04, 09:04 AM
Graeme

wrote:

[...]

Maybe I had a similar problem to you recently (well, similar symptoms
anyway). My monitor wouldn't display at lower resolutions (refresh rates)
but would be ok when Windows started up. I confirmed this by using a
different monitor. I don't think this is the same problem as you're seeing,
as my monitor thought (i.e. didn't go into standby) it was working ok! Just
a thought though.