Passive Cooling on P4S8X in Antec Overture Case

Old October 22nd 03, 04:02 PM
mattimus

Default Passive Cooling on P4S8X in Antec Overture Case

Hey Gys,

I just picked up a p4s8x and P42.0 and an Antec Overture case to use as my
HTPC. Currently the CPU is being cooled with the retail cooler, and while
it's doing an adequate job, it's far too noisy for the purpose of this box.

I wanted to put a Zalman 7000Cu on the CPU but I don't think that it's going
to fit. There doesn't seem to be a lot of space around the CPU on the board,
and particularily, there is a cage for 3.5" drive right next to the CPU in
the case.

I guess I'm looking for anyone with experience using passive cooling on this
board in general, or anyone who used passive cooling in the Antec Overture
case who might have a suggestion.

Thanks

Old November 7th 03, 09:07 PM
AnalogZero

Mattimus:

Yes, I encounterd the same problem with the Overture. In fact, I
think many of the 'silent' coolers will have trouble mounting in this
case. I considered using one of Zalman's 'flower' type heatsinks, and
bending it's fins towards the AGP slot slightly to clear the drive
cage. Then, make a baffle out of foamco
A rectangle sized to fit between the HD cage and video card, the full
height of the case, with a half-circle cutout on the bottom the right
sized to just clear the heatsink. Apply with electrical tape or
similar. Block off air passage thru the HD cage as appropriate.
This, in theory, *should* draw lots of air across the fins of the
heatsink, enough to keep it in operating range.

Keep in mind that I haven't actually tried this, watch your CPU temps
carefully!

BTW, I've posted a complete review of the Overture at
http://www.analogzero.com/reviews/ca.../overture.html

Good luck,
-AZ

"mattimus" wrote in message ...
Hey Gys,

I just picked up a p4s8x and P42.0 and an Antec Overture case to use as my
HTPC. Currently the CPU is being cooled with the retail cooler, and while
it's doing an adequate job, it's far too noisy for the purpose of this box.

I wanted to put a Zalman 7000Cu on the CPU but I don't think that it's going
to fit. There doesn't seem to be a lot of space around the CPU on the board,
and particularily, there is a cage for 3.5" drive right next to the CPU in
the case.

I guess I'm looking for anyone with experience using passive cooling on this
board in general, or anyone who used passive cooling in the Antec Overture
case who might have a suggestion.

Thanks

Antec Overture case with Zalman 7700 Cu/Athlon 64 - does it fit? David Johnstone Overclocking AMD Processors 1 February 18th 05 02:36 PM
case cooling, blowing air in instead of out. Monster Homebuilt PC's 6 July 16th 04 06:18 PM
How To Improve Case Cooling anthonyi Homebuilt PC's 8 September 6th 03 03:38 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
P4P800 and Antec case LED/switches connectors: Manny Asus Motherboards 0 June 23rd 03 07:02 AM