Problem with Gexcube Radeon 9600 & Asus A7N8X

Old September 21st 03, 12:54 AM
second_coming

Default Problem with Gexcube Radeon 9600 & Asus A7N8X

Hi folks,

a friend of mine has an Asus A7N8X motherboard (latest Bios and drivers)
with a GexCube GC-R9600-C3 Radeon 9600.

He's running Windows 2000 which is totally up to date with Windows Update.

His problem is he can't get the Catalyst drivers other than 3.4 to load
properly. We have tried installing later revisions of the driver and also
the Omega drivers to no avail.

Once installed the system denies all knowledge of the graphics card and the
hardware screen shows it has a VGA (save) installed instead of the 9600.

Obviously there is some incompatibility somewhere in the system. Has anyone
else had any experience with a similar setup, if so what can we do to get it
to work? (if anything)

TIA

Old September 21st 03, 05:55 AM
Paul

In article , "second_coming"
wrote:

Hi folks,

a friend of mine has an Asus A7N8X motherboard (latest Bios and drivers)
with a GexCube GC-R9600-C3 Radeon 9600.

He's running Windows 2000 which is totally up to date with Windows Update.

His problem is he can't get the Catalyst drivers other than 3.4 to load
properly. We have tried installing later revisions of the driver and also
the Omega drivers to no avail.

Once installed the system denies all knowledge of the graphics card and the
hardware screen shows it has a VGA (save) installed instead of the 9600.

Obviously there is some incompatibility somewhere in the system. Has anyone
else had any experience with a similar setup, if so what can we do to get it
to work? (if anything)

TIA

Are you uninstalling the old driver and rebooting, before
installing the new driver ? That is recommended for any brand
of graphics card.

http://www.ati.com/support/includes/tips.html

A video card driver needs a chipset AGP driver, in order for AGP
to work. Without going crazy on the various Nforce2 driver sets,
just check the Device Manager, to see if there is something that
the ATI driver can use in the way of an AGP device. If that
requirement is met, there shouldn't be any complaints from
SmartGART, that it cannot load.

VGA mode is a sign that the ATI package isn't happy with what it
found in the Device Manager. It is reverting to a safe mode of
operation until it is fixed.

HTH,
Paul
Old September 21st 03, 11:58 PM
second_coming

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "second_coming"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Paul,

yes we've uninstalled everything thoroughly and still no joy.

I'll have a look if the SmartGart driver is installed properly

thanks