Is Bios update needed for all new boxed retail P4P800 mbs?

Old July 30th 03, 07:57 PM
Randy O.

Default Is Bios update needed for all new boxed retail P4P800 mbs?

I sure would like to build a system with this board, but I don't want to
screw around updating its bios. Has anyone bought a recent P4P800 that has
not needed a bios update? After all the bother building a system, I hate to
destroy the MB with perhaps a corrupt bios update. Has anyone been able to
run the the board at maximum speed with IDE hard drives etc. without
upgrading the bios? Are there rumors or definite plans of Asus to build a
version 2 of this MB? What is the latest bios anyone has found when they
recently purchased this board? I hate being an Asus's bios tester;
especially when a screw-up voids returning the board to then vendor for a
new one.

I recently built my father a nice system with the A7N8X deluxe ver. 2 out
of the box with no bios update; it works great at 166 FSB (he has no need an
ocing with the apps he runs). I thank Ben Pope(often posting at this group)
for helping me on my dad's USB 2 setup. His system was set up all PATA with
a 133 ATA controller and a 80 GB Maxtor133 ATA HD for a scratch disk setup
for Photoshop. His regular IDE channels run a CDRW on secondary and a WD
120 GB 8MB cashe HD on primary.

I'm interested in what folks have been getting recently as far as the P4P800
bios when purchasing from fast movers like NewEgg

Sincerely -- Randy O.

Old July 31st 03, 01:08 AM
Randy O.

Obviously jaeger does not want to give constructive advice; the smart ass
didn't answer a fu-king question I asked -- thanks punk. Paul's comments
were useful and adult. It seems to me that many or most of the motherboards
coming out are in a beta phase; many bios changes seem to more common (many
bios changes are very significant). Many companies in the computer industry
seems to be using its customers as beta testers. I've seen posts of
corrupted bioses being downloaded from Asus's web site. There are concerns.
I've built 4 systems, and each has been from a different MB manufacturer;
each system was built after the MBs were proven very good. I'm writing this
using an old Epox 8KHA+, and I'll flash its bios; then, install an AMD 2400+
when I build a newer system. The older Epox system will be useful for other
purposes. I'd rather not flash a bios and end up waiting money and time if
you know what I mean. Sure I would flash a bios if needed, but I'm never
excited about the prospect. I'd rather buy something else with the
$100(usually more $) blown with any MB bios mess up. Any firmware flash has
the chance to ruin a good device, whether it's a CDRW drive or a MB. I
would have liked to know more about my basic query which was ' what bios
have (((recent))) purchasers found on their MB, and would that bios do what
I mentioned in my post? Thank you Paul and other folks for constructive
advice.

Sincerely - Randy

"jaeger" wrote in message
et...
In article , says...
I sure would like to build a system with this board, but I don't want to
screw around updating its bios. Has anyone bought a recent P4P800 that

has
not needed a bios update?

If you're afraid to flash a BIOS then you probably shouldn't be building
your own machines. That's like being afraid of turning on your computer
because you're worried about getting electrocuted. I mean really, it's
not 1986 anymore.

Old July 31st 03, 01:34 AM
Randy O.

Gee, thanks jaeger for your adult commentary. The smart ass never answered
on fu_king question I asked. Thank you Paul and others for constructive
advice. I just hate being a beta tester for any company. I recently ruined
a nice TDK CDRW drive with a corrupted flash; so, if I can avoid flashing a
bios- - I like that. I've built several system all with proven
motherboards(all different manufacturers)with good bioses. I'm using an old
Epox 8KHA+ (a proven winner in its time)to write this post. I really
interested in ""recent"" purchasers of the P4P800 who might tell me about
what bios they have and any results they are having.
Sincerely - Randy
=======================================

"jaeger" wrote in message
et...
In article , says...

Old July 31st 03, 04:49 PM
Randy O.

I was not specific enough; the MB I'm interested in is the P4P800 Deluxe. I
only meant to mention the child like jaeger once; my server disconnected,
and the first message did not show up in my sent box. I tried 3x
downloading the whole pdf manual of this MB from the US ASUS site
unsuccessfully; I've got a regular 56k modem connection. Their server is
extremely slow. If anyone can send me a PDF on the Bios part of the manual
I'd really appreciate it. I'll try other country's sites, but I thought the
US site would be speedy.
Sincerely- Randy O. in WI