Optical mouse, it jumps!

Old November 29th 03, 05:36 PM
jeremy

Definately try it on some different surfaces.

Embarassingly, the first time I got a logitech optical I returned it
because I thought it had a problem. Turned out all the surfaces
I had tried it with weren't good enough (a number of plasticized mouse
pads, a very smooth laminate desktop, another pad that I think was TOO
textured).

For testing I think it should work ok on a peice of non-laminated paper

Please remove your windows partition when replying by email
Old November 30th 03, 12:08 PM
Jeroen

Default Optical mouse, it jumps!

Hello,

Since a couple of weeks I'm using an optical mouse (logitech wheelmouse).

Eversince I use it, my cursor jumps over the screen every now and then. It
doesn't do it often and it took me a while to figure out it was the mouse.

Yes, it also happens when I'm off line. I use adaware regularly, my
virusscanner is up to date, I use a firewall in highest security mode.

My OS is XP pro.

I've installed the latest driver.

Can anybody tell me if this is normal?

Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks,

[_]D

Jeroen

Old November 30th 03, 01:06 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:08:06 +0100, My brain dual boots Concious and
Subconcious but I never had a choice but then "Jeroen"
wrote :

Hello,

Since a couple of weeks I'm using an optical mouse (logitech wheelmouse).

Eversince I use it, my cursor jumps over the screen every now and then. It
doesn't do it often and it took me a while to figure out it was the mouse.

Yes, it also happens when I'm off line. I use adaware regularly, my
virusscanner is up to date, I use a firewall in highest security mode.

My OS is XP pro.

I've installed the latest driver.

Can anybody tell me if this is normal?

Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks,

[_]D

Jeroen

If you have installed the,"Logitech" mouseware go to their site and
get updated software for free and install it and see if it
helps.Remove old software 1st.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old November 30th 03, 03:25 PM
ElJerid

news
wrote :

[...]

I had the same problem with a Logitech optical mouse. On top of updating the
drivers (did not solve the problem) I had to remove the mouse pad, which was
made of dark blue textile. I'm now working directly on the (white) desk
surface and the problem is definitively solved. Apparently, the Logitech has
some difficulties to work on textured surfaces.

Old November 30th 03, 11:08 PM
Jeroen

"jeremy" wrote in message
newsan.2003.11.29.17.36.19.827588@yourwindowspar tition.dls.net...
:
: Definately try it on some different surfaces.
:
: Embarassingly, the first time I got a logitech optical I returned it
: because I thought it had a problem. Turned out all the surfaces
: I had tried it with weren't good enough (a number of plasticized mouse
: pads, a very smooth laminate desktop, another pad that I think was TOO
: textured).
:
: For testing I think it should work ok on a peice of non-laminated paper
:

Oh darn! The guy who sold it recommended I used a good smooth textured
surface, so I use my desk which has woodgrain laminate. Well, I'll try some
different things to put under my mouse. Thanks guys!

Old December 1st 03, 08:39 AM
ElJerid

"Jeroen" wrote in message

"jeremy" wrote in message
[...]

Keep us informed about the results of your testings...

Old December 1st 03, 10:53 PM
*Vanguard*

Jeroen wrote:
Hello,

Since a couple of weeks I'm using an optical mouse (logitech
wheelmouse).

Eversince I use it, my cursor jumps over the screen every now and
then. It doesn't do it often and it took me a while to figure out it
was the mouse.

Yes, it also happens when I'm off line. I use adaware regularly, my
virusscanner is up to date, I use a firewall in highest security mode.

My OS is XP pro.

I've installed the latest driver.

Can anybody tell me if this is normal?

Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks,

[_]D

Jeroen

Sometimes the Logitech software will not reset the standard mouse
settings before it installs. As a result, prior settings of snap-to,
acceleration, rate, and left- or right-handed get stuck "underneath" the
Logitech driver which it cannot properly run with. So uninstall the
Logitech Mouseware, reboot into safe mode, check Device Manager that a
standard PS/2 mouse driver gets detected, then reboot back into normal
mode and ensure the PS/2 mouse driver is still being used. Then go into
the Mouse applet in Control Panel and ensure it is at all its defaults:
no accelertion, rate slider at middle position, right-handed mouse, no
snap-to feature, etc. Now install the Logitech software.

Of course, you never mentioned if you are using a cordless mouse. If
so, and in this order, hit the reset button on the receiver and then hit
the reset button on the mouse to make sure they are synchronized. And,
of course, you have already checked the batteries, right? I got so fed
up with having to replace the batteries after only 3 weeks that I know
have 2 sets of rechargeable NiMH batteries so one is already charged and
ready to go when the current ones get too low. The mouse can start
acting erratic long before they go so low that the mouse goes completely
dead. As I recall, NiMH batteries don't have a memory like NiCads, so
you don't have to stick the depleted NiMH batteries in a flashlight to
drain them to nothing before you can start recharging them.

Logitech recommends using the optical mouse on a light-colored surface,
but who wants to run their mouse across a piece of white paper? Have
you seen a mouse pad with a built-in gel wrist rest (I have to have one)
that isn't blue, red, black, or a dark version of those colors? The
best I could find was the Belkin gel wrist mouse pad that is medium gray
but even that's probably too dark and results in depleting the batteries
faster.

Could be whatever application you are running will not wait for the
mouse, especially in games. Check the mouse's properties in Device
Manager and see if upping the sampling rate will help to eliminate the
jerk within that application or game.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old December 7th 03, 10:00 PM
Kanda' Jalen Eirsie

Greetings...

Logitech recommends using the optical mouse on a light-colored surface,
but who wants to run their mouse across a piece of white paper?

I run my MX 700 on top of a black leather stool which is next to my lazy boy. It has no
problems with the black color. Though I've found that it works best with solid colors
over busy patterns. Previously I had it running fine on a dark green mouse pad. It did
do the jumpies on the fake wood grain table top in my old motor home... So maybe it's
just that Logitech opticals don't like trailer trash fake wood grain finish...

The only time it does the jumpy thing now is when the batteries are almost dead.

ll
Kanda'

SPAM-KILLER- If you really want to contact me, then -
kandajeatbresnandotnet

You figure it out...

problem with optical mouse Bryan Henderson General 2 November 16th 03 10:22 AM
question about Dexxa Wireless Optical Mouse Marcel Verduyn General 2 October 6th 03 10:14 PM
optical ps2/serial mouse Jan Biel General 0 September 26th 03 03:16 PM
optical mouse kony General 0 July 13th 03 07:05 PM
Mouse doesn't move byteryder General 3 July 5th 03 11:54 PM