ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

Old November 15th 03, 06:54 AM
@drian

Default ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

I've been looking at this motherboard for one of my test machines, but one
thing concerns me. The VIA firewire chip. Has anyone (1) Got this board?
(2) Have you used the FireWire aspect of this board and experienced any
problems?

Thanks.

@drian.

Old November 15th 03, 07:42 AM
stacey

@drian wrote:

I've been looking at this motherboard for one of my test machines, but one
thing concerns me. The VIA firewire chip.

Yep that's scary! ;-)

Is the firewire why you want this over the other? If so spend $14 and get a

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...104-218&depa=1
--

Stacey
Old November 15th 03, 09:01 AM
@drian

"stacey" wrote in message

Yep that's scary! ;-)

I know, horrific.

Is the firewire why you want this over the other? If so spend $14 and get

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...104-218&depa=1

Not just the FireWire, I want the P4C800-E over the P4C800 because of the
RAID controller in the SouthBridge, and the CSA LAN chip. Both of which I
consider improvements.

I found out tonight, I can get one of these for free:

http://www.siig.com/product.asp?part...ktop%20-%20Int
ernal

Shame ASUS had to lump their board with a VIA chip, I would have preferred
the TI component

@drian.

Old November 15th 03, 09:12 AM
kony

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:54:58 GMT, "@drian" wrote:

I've been looking at this motherboard for one of my test machines, but one
thing concerns me. The VIA firewire chip. Has anyone (1) Got this board?
(2) Have you used the FireWire aspect of this board and experienced any
problems?

Thanks.

@drian.

Why in the world would you be worried about a Via firewire chip?
Because Via once had a buggy southbridge for Athlons 3 years ago?

The issue wouldn't be who made the firewire chip, but rather how well
Asus has implemented a board with all those features, and of course
that one in particular. Generally they do a pretty good job of
integration, though many people give up before reading the manual,
trying the settings instead of assuming it should work right, "right
out of the box" in every possible configuration.

If it doesn't work right just disable it and buy the card Stacey
linked to or some other.

Dave
Old November 15th 03, 07:45 PM
@drian

"kony" wrote in message
Why in the world would you be worried about a Via firewire chip?
Because Via once had a buggy southbridge for Athlons 3 years ago?

Yes. I've had enough problems with VIA chipsets to last a lifetime.
Personally, I don't trust them when it comes to compatibility. That's why,
when I see the FireWire chip on this board was made by VIA, I couldn't help
but wondering if it works without hiccup, especially for capturing video.

The issue wouldn't be who made the firewire chip, but rather how well
Asus has implemented a board with all those features, and of course
that one in particular. Generally they do a pretty good job of
integration, though many people give up before reading the manual,
trying the settings instead of assuming it should work right, "right
out of the box" in every possible configuration.

Yes, agreed. I've no problem reading the manual, and reading it thoroughly.
It's just I stick to components I know have worked with me in the past and
when it comes to FireWire, I know I've had success with TI chipsets. At one
point, Adobe didn't recommend anything with a VIA chipset when it comes to
capturing with Premiere.

If it doesn't work right just disable it and buy the card Stacey
linked to or some other.

Well, if it doesn't work, I have a card I can get for free, a SIIG PCI 32-T
FireWire 800.

Thanks.

@drian.

Old November 16th 03, 12:18 AM
stacey

@drian wrote:

I found out tonight, I can get one of these for free:

http://www.siig.com/product.asp?part...ktop%20-%20Int
ernal

Shame ASUS had to lump their board with a VIA chip, I would have preferred
the TI component

Yep, the Ti chip is a good one and everyone supports it.
--

Stacey
Old November 18th 03, 01:58 AM
Russell Campbell

Wonderful. I just bought the P4P800 Deluxe with the VIA VT6410 RAID
controller. The manual indicates that if you don't put a drive connected to
this controller into an array it will work as a std. independent drive. The
VIA controller sees my drives (a Maxtor 60 GB and Maxtor 160 GB) and the
MaxBlast software sees them, but the Win2K Advanced Server install program
does not. You wouldn't happen to know anything about this, by chance, would
you?

Russell Campbell

"stacey" wrote in message
kony wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:54:58 GMT, "@drian" wrote:

I've been looking at this motherboard for one of my test machines, but

one
thing concerns me. The VIA firewire chip. Has anyone (1) Got this

board?
(2) Have you used the FireWire aspect of this board and experienced any
problems?

Why in the world would you be worried about a Via firewire chip?
Because Via once had a buggy southbridge for Athlons 3 years ago?

No, because people are now bitching about problems (crap performance) with
the newest Via IDE raid chips on some of asus's boards (P4P800 deluxe) etc
USB problems with other newer Via chipsets etc.. Seems they still are VERY
good at making buggy hardware. Why suffer with this when there are KNOWN
good firewire chips, on PCI boards, for $14?

--

Stacey

Old November 18th 03, 02:11 AM
kony

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:58:41 GMT, "Russell Campbell"
wrote:

Wonderful. I just bought the P4P800 Deluxe with the VIA VT6410 RAID
controller. The manual indicates that if you don't put a drive connected to
this controller into an array it will work as a std. independent drive. The
VIA controller sees my drives (a Maxtor 60 GB and Maxtor 160 GB) and the
MaxBlast software sees them, but the Win2K Advanced Server install program
does not. You wouldn't happen to know anything about this, by chance, would
you?

Russell Campbell

Did you feed it the driver floppy when it prompted you to?

Dave
Old November 18th 03, 05:46 AM
stacey

Russell Campbell wrote:

Wonderful. I just bought the P4P800 Deluxe with the VIA VT6410 RAID
controller. The manual indicates that if you don't put a drive connected
this controller into an array it will work as a std. independent drive.
The VIA controller sees my drives (a Maxtor 60 GB and Maxtor 160 GB) and
the MaxBlast software sees them, but the Win2K Advanced Server install
program
does not. You wouldn't happen to know anything about this, by chance,
would you?

All I know is people talk about seeing very large % of CPU useage when
accessing drives conected to this controller. MUCH larger than even ancient
hardware did. Seems it isn't really a hardware controller but is kinda like
a "soft modem" in that it offloads some of the work to the CPU? Something
weird is going on....

Why connect the drives to that controller or is it the only one on the
board? If so I'd return the board and get the non-deluxe version. I'm using
the regular P4P800 and it works great and has no Via based hardware on it!
:-)

--

Stacey
Old November 18th 03, 02:24 PM
Russell Campbell

I got no such prompt and could find no drivers other than the windows
drivers. I connected to the regular IDE and installed Win2K, then installed
the drivers for the RAID controller. I planned to then reconnect to the
RAID controllers, but I immediately found that Windows would not shut down
properly after the drivers were installed. I am hearing a lot about the VIA
chips being crap and I am seeing problems with the drivers and I think I
will just disable the RAID controller and use the regular ATA 100 IDE
controllers.

Thanks for your reply,

Russell

wrote:

Wonderful. I just bought the P4P800 Deluxe with the VIA VT6410 RAID
controller. The manual indicates that if you don't put a drive connected

this controller into an array it will work as a std. independent drive.

The
VIA controller sees my drives (a Maxtor 60 GB and Maxtor 160 GB) and the
MaxBlast software sees them, but the Win2K Advanced Server install

program
does not. You wouldn't happen to know anything about this, by chance,

would
you?

Russell Campbell

Did you feed it the driver floppy when it prompted you to?

Dave

New Asus P4P800 Deluxe - No video at all? Joe Greenman General 10 October 6th 03 06:16 PM
XPOST - asus a7n8x deluxe SATA & SATA RAID! \(\) |V| 3 G A General 1 September 26th 03 06:02 PM
Asus Vs. Intel mobo Dan J.S. General 4 September 21st 03 02:07 AM
Asus A7V333 rev. 1.02 + AMD XP1800+ Jean General 0 September 6th 03 08:57 PM
Asus Gf4 4200ti vs. generic vs. Asus fx5200 Bob Knowlden General 8 August 9th 03 04:59 AM