First Build Computer - Need Checklists and Other Tracking Documents

Old July 21st 04, 03:48 PM
Rob

Default First Build Computer - Need Checklists and Other Tracking Documents

I'm laying the ground work to begin building a computer for the first time.
Does anyone have any sort of checklists or other documents used to help
manage this project.

Check lists such as components needed, progress etc. would be extremely
helpful. I welcome home made, templates, pre existing, etc.

Many thanks in advance, Rob.

Old July 21st 04, 04:34 PM
Art

"Rob" wrote in message
I'm laying the ground work to begin building a computer for the first

time.
Does anyone have any sort of checklists or other documents used to help
manage this project.

Check lists such as components needed, progress etc. would be extremely
helpful. I welcome home made, templates, pre existing, etc.

Many thanks in advance, Rob.

Hi:
I think I previously sent the following to Rob at his email address,
however, perhaps this checklist will be of some value to other first-time
builders. Naturally this checklist is not to be followed slavishly since
components that the builder will install and user configurations will differ
in a way that affects their installation. For example, most of the computers
I build are equipped with two removable hard drives in their mobile racks so
the checklist reflects their installation.

It is vital that before construction begins, the builder read the
motherboard's manual from cover to cover. And then read it again. And have
the manual at one's side during the construction process. Also, ensure that
all the drivers will be available for whatever devices are being installed.

Basic step-by-step instructions re building a computer:

1) Snap the motherboard's I/O shield into the computer case.

2) Install processor and heat sink to motherboard while the motherboard is
out of the case. Attach the CPU fan lead and any chassis fan lead(s) to
their motherboard connectors.

3) Install the RAM module(s).

4) Insert the video card into the motherboard's AGP slot.

5) Connect the 20-pin power supply plug, including its 4-pin ATX +12V
power plug, to their motherboard connectors.

6) Connect the power and reset switch case leads to the appropriate
motherboard connectors. If practical, also connect the case speaker and hard
disk activity LED leads to the motherboard connectors before the motherboard
is affixed to the case..

7) Screw down the motherboard to the case, but before doing so, make sure
all jumpers on the motherboard are set correctly. Also check to see if there
are any other case leads, e.g., front USB leads, that would be easier to
connect to the motherboard at this time, i.e., before the motherboard is
affixed to the case.

8) Connect the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

9) Connect the A/C power cord to the power supply, turn the PS's switch to
On. Check that the CPU and chassis fans are running. If you get a screen
display, all is well at this point. Shut down the computer.

10) Install floppy drive, ensuring IDE cable is correctly connected. Power
on the computer and test with Win98/Me startup disk, or other bootable
floppy if available. Power off the computer.

11) Assuming the DVD/CD-ROM will be installed in the top bay as Primary
Slave, connect its IDE cable (middle connector) and power plug and install
the drive, ensuring that its jumper is correctly set. Connect the end
connector (usually, but not always, blue) of the ribbon cable to the
motherboard's primary IDE connector, which will also be blue (again, usually
but not always). Power on and test with a bootable CD, e.g., XP installation
disk.

12) Install the mobile rack that will contain the Primary Master hard drive
in the second bay. Connect its IDE cable and power plug again ensuring that
its jumper is correctly set.

13) Connect the mobile rack's IDE cable to the Primary IDE connector on the
motherboard. Install the hard drive in its removable tray into the mobile
rack, ensuring that the drive is jumpered as Master.

14) Power up and insert the XP installation CD in the DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Install the Windows XP operating system. Assuming the bootup is normal,
install SP1. Shutdown the computer.

15) Install the second mobile rack in the case's third bay and connect the
IDE cable to it as Secondary Master. Connect a power supply plug to it.
Again, ensure the jumper is correctly set.

16) Install CD-RW (or DVD-RW) drive in fourth bay and connect it as
Secondary Slave. Connect a power supply plug to it. Ensure the jumper is
correctly set.

17) Connect case fans to power supply plugs.

18) Boot the computer and check that all drives are working properly.

19) Install chipset drivers and any other drivers/software from motherboard'
s installation CD.

20) Install video card drivers.

21) Install sound card and drivers.

22) Test the computer and install Windows Critical Updates.

Let me stress one thing at the outset of one's computer-building career
based upon my experience. When you begin building your computer you should
have one and only one objective in mind at the very outset. And that is to
get a screen display using the minimum amount of components to do so. That
means installation of the motherboard, the CPU (and CPU fan), the RAM, the
power supply, a video card, and a connection to your monitor. NOTHING ELSE!
You can connect a mouse and/or keyboard at this point but even that is not
vital at this stage. At this point of the construction you boot to get a
screen display. And when you do, you heave a great sigh of relief because
then you know that your basic components work. It's a crucial first step.
You do not go on until you correct what has to be corrected to get a screen
display.

I emphasize the above because, in my opinion, too many builders install all
the components without testing them every step of the way. And when problems
arise when all the components (hard drives, CD-ROMS, DVD-burners, graphics
cards, sound cards, etc.) it's the devil to diagnose, let alone correct
them. Take it step-by-step, making sure each component works, and you won't
be sorry. It will take a bit more time this way but it will result in
avoiding hours of unnecessary work and frustration.

Art

Old July 21st 04, 08:13 PM
Jim Wilson

If you type "how to build a computer" in Google you will get more help
than you probably need.

Example: http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm

Old July 22nd 04, 12:16 AM
Dave C.

"Rob" wrote in message
I'm laying the ground work to begin building a computer for the first

time.
Does anyone have any sort of checklists or other documents used to help
manage this project.

Check lists such as components needed, progress etc. would be extremely
helpful. I welcome home made, templates, pre existing, etc.

Many thanks in advance, Rob.

Just go to www.mwave.com or www.newegg.com. Browse by category/catelog.
For each category, pick something. Where you are most likely to screw up is
in cables. For example, your disk drives might need an optional power cable
or optional interface cable. Your sound card might need an optional audio
cable. Don't forget an Operating System, such as Windows XP Pro. Also
don't forget a HSF for the CPU and a decent power supply (not all cases
include one, and that is actually a GOOD thing). Other than that, if you go
right down the list of all the types of components one of the major vendors
carry, you should end up with a complete system. It might take a little
reading on other sites to figure out what works with what. Or just throw
the list together and post it here in this ng. We'll let you know if you
royally screwed it up. -Dave

Old July 25th 04, 12:03 AM
Stephen Austin

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:57:03 -0400, JK wrote:

Go to the AMD website.

No