Shut down problems after installing Win2K...

Old February 16th 04, 09:40 AM
XXX

Default Shut down problems after installing Win2K...

Hi

I have a Gateway P111 which was originally loaded with Win98 SE. A couple of
days back, I changed the HD and loaded it with Win2K.

Now, on exiting Win2K, I am brought to a screen that says, "It is safe to
shut down...", and I then have to press the switch to totally shut it down.
In my previous Win98 HD, it just shut down without this message.

Why is this so? Is there anyway I can have my Win2k HD shut down without
going through this message dialog.

TIA

Old February 17th 04, 08:53 PM
Tweek

Windows 2000 and XP will behave this way if the bios is not completely ACPI
compliant. If you look in device manager under 'computer' you will likely
see 'standard pc' or something to that effect. It should say 'acpi
uniprocessor pc'. Sometimes there is a setting in the bios for this and
sometimes there is not. A bios update to the latest version might fix it,
although you may have to reinstall Windows 2000.

Old February 18th 04, 08:54 AM
XXX

Thank you, I have been fooling with the BIOS settings and it is shutting
down faster. Regards