lost system sounds in P200 Packard Bell, need help

Old December 3rd 03, 05:26 AM
~A_Sammy

Default lost system sounds in P200 Packard Bell, need help

Hi,
I upgraded an old Packard Bell 1710 Legend from win 95 to win98 and now
there are no system sounds. I downloaded and installed drivers for the
Aztech speed4 combo sound/modem card. I did the install/uninstall thing
about 10 times with the same result. The modem works and it plays audio cd's
fine, but the volume control isn't on the task bar and in the system folder
under multimedia where "show volume" is checked everything is grayed out.
The playback and recording line have the following messages in them:

"no playback devices" and "no recording devices"

In the system sound stuff in device manager there are no yellow exclamation
marks. All looks OK there so I'm confidnet it isn't a hardware problem.

In the windows media folder, all the system wave files are there, but I
can't make them play.

Any ideas on how to get the system sounds to work will be greatly
appreciated.
I spent 6 hours on this today, and have finally admitted defeat.
Oh the humility of it all...

as

ps: I cross posted to a Packard Bell ng and a win.multimedia ng
this afternoon, but so far no replys.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Old December 3rd 03, 05:35 AM
JAD

Most important info not given...what does the Device manager say about sounds and game controllers?
HEH I still have one of those sound/modem cards (14400 I think) ill bet the drivers never loaded. Check 'other devices'
heading.....there shouldn't be any.

Old December 3rd 03, 06:18 AM
~A_Sammy

Most important info not given...what does the Device manager say about

sounds and game controllers?

Device manager says they are there and are operating properly. No yellow
exclamation marks.

HEH I still have one of those sound/modem cards (14400 I think) ill bet

the drivers never loaded. Check 'other devices'
heading.....there shouldn't be any.

OK, will do that in the morning.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me on this.

Old December 3rd 03, 07:02 AM
JAD

well they seem to have loaded ...no yellow!

and it plays audio cd's
fine, but the volume control isn't on the task bar and in the system folder
under multimedia where "show volume" is checked everything is grayed out

hmmm this is kinda strange those 95 drivers may not work...look for the 98 drivers i believe there were i see if i can find a link

Old December 3rd 03, 03:40 PM
~A_Sammy

Hi Jad,
Thanks for the link but I couldn't find anything there for the Aztech speed
4 card in my system. Do you think I should just try one for a different
card?

Threre is no "other" listing in the device manager.

Under Sound, video and game controllers there is 4 listings:

1 Aztech 2320 Compatible PnP Audio (WDM)
2 Gameport Joystick
3 Microsoft MPU Audio Driver (WDM)
4 Reserved Device

Clicking properties of the reserved device the window has 3 tabs, general,
driver, and resources.
Device Type: Sound, video and game controllers
Manufacturer: Aztech Labs
Hardware version: 1.0.03
Device Status: Working properly
Exists in all harware profiles is checked

Under driver it says:
No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device. To update
the driver files for this device click Update Driver

Clicking update drive and letting it look for the driver it comes back with
this:
The best driver Windows found is already installed for this device. Click
back to insatll a different driver, or click Next to continue using this
drive.
Location of Driver:
C:\Windows\INF\WDMA_AST.INF

How can it be that it both has a driver and doesn't have a driver at the
same time?
Clicking the back button and installling the driver that I got yesterday, it
now says Sound EEPROM device where it before said Reserved Device, but the
rest remains the same, ie, Under driver it says:
No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device. To update
the driver files for this device click Update Driver

Hopefully I shut it down, turned it off, rebooted, but wound up in the same
place. No system sounds, and no volume control. oi-vey...

Sammy

Old December 3rd 03, 05:05 PM
philo

"~A_Sammy" wrote in message
[...]

go into the control panel and for ...add remove programs...windows
components
be sure media and all related components are actually installed...you may
have to add them

or if they are there remove them
reboot, then reinstall

Old December 3rd 03, 05:12 PM
JAD

it looks like its using 'native' XP drivers(the reason your seeing"no drivers needed blah blah)....those can work but the
manufacturers drivers are often times better suited.

update the driver from the device manager.. highlight sound card properties-driver-update driver... point to the folder where the
driver you want to use is. or possibly 'show ALL compatible hardware' will give a few choices.

Old December 3rd 03, 06:12 PM
~A_Sammy

update:

I found an old ISA sound blaster card laying around and put it in to see
what would happen,
and after the PnP did it's thing, the volumn control was back and the system
sounds work when
run from the device manager, but the welcome sound doesn't play when the
system is
turned on. The exit sound plays when it is turned off.

It's just one puzzel after another with this one, but at least I know the
original problem was
the drivers for the combo card. The SB16 sound is actually fantastic.
It's never sounded
this good playing MP3s before.

Sammy