Quick and simple procedure for nHancer (FSX)

Old April 3rd 09, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default Quick and simple procedure for nHancer (FSX)

Had some difficulty getting AA set for FSX with 182.08 drivers. Card is
9800GT and just installed nHancer. Would like to jump right in and set
AA and some other filters. Any quick and easy nHancer tutorials or
procedures for FSX?

Also.. is PhysX good for anything? I uninstalled it. Just downloaded
182.50 drivers BTW.

-ed
Old April 6th 09, 03:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 22:23:56 -0500, deimos deimos@localhost brought
the following to our attention:

wrote:
Had some difficulty getting AA set for FSX with 182.08 drivers. Card is
9800GT and just installed nHancer. Would like to jump right in and set
AA and some other filters. Any quick and easy nHancer tutorials or
procedures for FSX?

Also.. is PhysX good for anything? I uninstalled it. Just downloaded
182.50 drivers BTW.

-ed

You don't necessarily need nHancer. Make a profile for FS and set the
AA mode to enhance or override. Now set the level. Should work, unless
you're messing with SLI or such.

First off, I haven't installed 182.50 and haven't verified that removing
ATI drivers and recreating the FS.cfg file has solved the game crashes
(Fatal Error pop-up) yet.

Now you must explain your steps better. Make a profile for FS where?
And set AA in what control panel? There's no SLI configuration here.

Physx is great for physics (duh!)

Basically all those small things which make an environment more
immersive can be calculated with spare cycles on the GPU and through
a dedicated API, thereby reducing framerate hit from such effects being
calculated on your CPU. Smoke, dust, water, particles, debris,
explosions, displacements, etc. If it's an object and has to get
bounced around the game world, blown up, or deformed, then Physx
can accelerate it accurately.

Are you saying to forget about nHancer? That would be ok with me..
and advocating the use of PhysX? That would also be ok. Also describe
some of the settings in PhysX and in what sections of the control panel.
I'm a complete beginner with advanced video cards.

-ed

P.S. may go back to the 178.24 since that was the rev for the 9800 GT
unless there's a specific reason or `fix“ in 182.08 -- keep it simple!
Old April 8th 09, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

You didn't mention anything about a crash (in this post at least) or a
previous ATI card, so let's take one step at a time and solve what we can.

First install the latest WHQL drivers of your choice. I'll leave this
up to you. 182.50 is working OK with everything I run on my 9800GTX+
and Vista64, but I don't play FS, so your mileage may vary.

Now for profiles, this is integrated into the Nvidia control panel.
Simply go to Settings Control Panel NVidia Control Panel, or right
click on your desktop and navigate to display properties and finally the
NVidia tab (XP).

By default, the Simple mode is displayed whereby you can adjust a slider
bar for image quality. We need to switch to Advanced and set
applications ourselves. View Advanced. Then click Manage 3D Settings.

The tab called Program Settings is where we can customize our AA and
image quality settings per executable. Drop down the list, see if
Flight Sim is in there; if not uncheck the "Show only programs found on
this computer" box. Sort through the huge list and find your flight sim
exe name.

At this point, overriding the antialiasing mode should be as simple as
"Antialiasing - Mode Override any application setting", then selecting
a corresponding mode (Use Global Setting 4x, etc).

See how far that gets you and go from there.

For now Physx has nothing to do with flight sims sadly .