NVIDIA 9600M GS 1GB ... Is this also part of the NVIDIA disaster ?

Old October 28th 08, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ELOI CHIASSON

Default NVIDIA 9600M GS 1GB ... Is this also part of the NVIDIA disaster ?

Everything is in the subject. Does the 9600M GS also a defective NVIDIA
product ? Is it risky to buy a laptop with that in ? Thanks.

Old October 28th 08, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"ELOI CHIASSON" wrote in message
Everything is in the subject. Does the 9600M GS also a defective NVIDIA
product ? Is it risky to buy a laptop with that in ? Thanks.

Actually everything is not in the subject line. And your previous post was
equally cryptic. You were given a link for a performance evaluation. Read
it. All 9600 series GPU's are G94 based. The issues you seemiogly allude to
without actually posing a direct question are for G84 and G86 GPU's from
nVidia. Which you could just have easily found out with 10 seconds on
Google.....

Old October 29th 08, 05:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"EC" wrote in message
Well Augustus , thanks for the info and for pointing my cryptic style. I
don't deny it..not at all. I'm a native french and I tend to cut corners
on
a tight schedule . I tought I did not have to be so specific about what
has
been called the NVIDIA disaster and all kinds of cryptic names. It's a
well
documented subject. I assumed the G84 and G86 flaws is a very well known
fact on this NG.

I'm simply digging to make sure it is safe to buy a new laptop with 9600M
in
it . Should I really have to read all 88 pages of this particular thread
in
order to find a clue and no definitive answer ? Most of the stuff there
doesn't apply to the specific info I'm looking for and this is on the
9600M
GS itself . Of course I googled on the G84 and 86 before trying to find
9600m GS info on this NG .

There is in fact a very good reason for me to seek answers on suspicious
Nvidia products. I found the following link yesterday before posting here
:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2397&tag=rbxccnbzd1 This article
says
that '' The Inquirer is reporting that in addition to the NVIDIA G84 and
G86
GPUs being bad and failing due to thermal issues, the G92s and G94s are
also
affected......''

This is why I checked in this Nvidia NG where people know a lot more than
do on the subject. I'm buying a new laptop tomorrow and if I don't find a
quick and positive answer about the 9600M GS , I take no chance and I will
buy a laptop with ATI inside .

Purchasing a laptop with this GPU would not concern me in the least if
reliability was the issue. The Dell D830 I own has a Quadro NVS 140M which
is based on the 8400M G84M GPU. I know many others with literally dozens of
G84 and G86 as well as G94 units in operation for literally years if you add
the continuous operation up. Never one failure.

Old October 29th 08, 05:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
EC

[...]

This is why I checked in this Nvidia NG where people know a lot more than I

Old October 29th 08, 02:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"EC" wrote in message
Purchasing a laptop with this GPU would not concern me in the least if
reliability was the issue. The Dell D830 I own has a Quadro NVS 140M
which
is based on the 8400M G84M GPU. I know many others with literally dozens

of
G84 and G86 as well as G94 units in operation for literally years if you

add
the continuous operation up. Never one failure.

I beleive you but I still admit that the ZDnet article I refer to in my
to push one to choose ATI and leave the 9600M GS behind.

If you've already decided before you posted, why bother posting?

Old October 29th 08, 05:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Augustus wrote:
"EC" wrote in message
Purchasing a laptop with this GPU would not concern me in the least if
reliability was the issue. The Dell D830 I own has a Quadro NVS 140M
which
is based on the 8400M G84M GPU. I know many others with literally dozens

of
G84 and G86 as well as G94 units in operation for literally years if you

add
the continuous operation up. Never one failure.

I beleive you but I still admit that the ZDnet article I refer to in my
to push one to choose ATI and leave the 9600M GS behind.

If you've already decided before you posted, why bother posting?

He asks the question, for the same reason the ZDnet guy asks the
questions. While "Charlie" has stirred the pot, Nvidia has chosen
to remain silent on the subject. As far as I'm concerned, that
is enough for an informed decision.

If Nvidia feels it is affecting their new business enough,
they can make public the exact extent of the problem, and how
much warranty support customers of older equipment can expect.

Nvidia cannot have it both ways - either tell the truth and
clear the air - or suffer the consequences. To me, their
business decision is cold and calculated. Apparently this
is the way they want it.

I feel that some of what "Charlie" has written, is over the
top, and uncalled for. But the approach of Nvidia, to simply
let the (potentially) defective materials drain from the
channel, isn't a particularly responsible one. Obviously
there are limits as to how fast replacement parts can be
fabbed, but there is no evidence to suggest they're trying
to take back the bad stuff. Only that they've made some
arrangement for warranty compensation, to the companies
using their GPUs. The people who will suffer the most
from this, will be the end users ("oops - my laptop
failed outside the warranty").

Paul
Old October 29th 08, 06:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
EC

No way I would have post a request here if I was decided , no use for that .
I've got an nVidia card in my desktop as an ATI replacement and I'm glad I
did. I'm an nVidia fan but this time, I'm forced to consider ATI too even if
you may be right about your sayings. In the long term, I consider that there
is still a risk on 9600M with what I've read so far. I see that there is
still dirt in supension and things are not absolutely clear .

I'll probably go with an MSI GT735 laptop with ATI mobile HD3850 . Right
now, this is where I stand.

Thanks again.

"Augustus" wrote in message
newsm_Nk.4848$%%2.1740@edtnps82...