fake or re-marked 3200 athlon - help

Old July 23rd 04, 10:53 AM
PBS

Default fake or re-marked 3200 athlon - help

I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the 3200
it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200

it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown

I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one

I want to know whether to return it or not

thanks in advance

Old July 23rd 04, 12:10 PM
Achim Weissegger

You must have some setting wrong in you Bios.If you set your fsb to high ,
it would not boot.
Your motherboard might have both dip switches and the bios to adjust the
fsb.
If I run my 2500+ at 11x200mhz fsb , it shows me 3200+ and I guess , if you
run a 3200+ at 166mhz fsb it would show you 2500+
Maybe check the manual.
Regards Achim

Old July 23rd 04, 12:49 PM
PBS

can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+

(with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
were green
as far as I know)

thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:57:49 GMT, "rstlne"
wrote:

"PBS" wrote in message
I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the

3200

Which MOBO / BIOS version ?

it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200

200x what?

it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown

I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one

The colour donates where the thing was made, it's unimportant.

I want to know whether to return it or not

Unlikely there is anything wrong with the CPU, it's probably your
settings that are wrong.

thanks in advance

It sounds to me like your fsb is not 200..
Check the FSB after boot.. 2500+ speed is what a 3200+ is when clock'd
down
from 200 to 166

BoroLad

Old July 23rd 04, 12:55 PM
Achim Weissegger

There is no thing a 2500 thoroughbred. Is it multiplier looked?
If it was a toroughbred , it would be a 1700+ (11x133mhz)
Look at this AMD site
http://139.95.253.214/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...olutio n=3913

Old July 23rd 04, 12:55 PM
Mike

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:49:56 GMT, "PBS" wrote:

can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+

(with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
were green
as far as I know)

thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know

They can come in both colours!

I've seen Barton 3200xp's in green and brown. I remember thinking it was a
little strange myself but I found a couple of review sites which had a different
colour too... so colour is immaterial.

Mike

Old July 23rd 04, 01:09 PM
Scumball

I can't - but I'd be very surprised if there were only green or brown ones.
Check the dip switches on your mobo.
Use CrystalCPU-ID which will show EXACTLY what your CPU is, whatever your
BIOS settings - aswell as FSB, etc.

Old July 23rd 04, 01:09 PM
PBS

"Mike" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:49:56 GMT, "PBS" wrote:

can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+

(with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
were green
as far as I know)

thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know

They can come in both colours!

I've seen Barton 3200xp's in green and brown. I remember thinking it was
little strange myself but I found a couple of review sites which had a
different
colour too... so colour is immaterial.

Mike

thanks Mike ,that's all I needed to know

just for amusement do a google images search for
athlon xp 3200

and you'll see what I mean

not one green 3200, all brown

that and the funny logo on the right side of the black sticker section
that the brown ones didn't have
made me suspicious

Old July 23rd 04, 01:55 PM
PBS

"Scumball" wrote in message
I can't - but I'd be very surprised if there were only green or brown ones.
Check the dip switches on your mobo.
Use CrystalCPU-ID which will show EXACTLY what your CPU is, whatever your

yeah that would be handy , but I didnt want to use it , in case that would
invalidate my chance of returning it

it's weird
all I wanted to see was ONE online pic of a green athlon 3200 xp
well I can't find one

saw many brown ones though
hundreds