8800GT - clock speed question

Old February 2nd 08, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rpgs rock dvds

Default 8800GT - clock speed question

I'd like to buy an 8800GT card, but not an overclocked one because I
want to remove the active stock cooler and replace it with a passive
heatsink. I'm guessing you can't do that if the card is overclocked
because it would get too hot. (Pls note, I prefer quietness over
performance)

Pls can someone tell me what clock speed(s) on the 8800GT cards I need
to look out for so that I can identify which ones have not been
overclocked.

Thanks, regards, Robert.
Old February 2nd 08, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"rpgs rock dvds" wrote in message
I'd like to buy an 8800GT card, but not an overclocked one because I
want to remove the active stock cooler and replace it with a passive
heatsink. I'm guessing you can't do that if the card is overclocked
because it would get too hot. (Pls note, I prefer quietness over
performance)

Pls can someone tell me what clock speed(s) on the 8800GT cards I need
to look out for so that I can identify which ones have not been
overclocked.

Thanks, regards, Robert.

Why don't you just buy a passively cooled one? I can almost guarantee you
that your efforts to make a fanless version will result in a severly
overheated card that's good for 2D only.

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/News/SP880...assive_EN.html

Old February 3rd 08, 12:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rpgs rock dvds

On 2 Feb, 21:02, "Augustus" wrote:
"rpgs rock dvds" wrote in ...

I'd like to buy an 8800GT card, but not an overclocked one because I
want to remove the active stock cooler and replace it with a passive
heatsink. *I'm guessing you can't do that if the card is overclocked
because it would get too hot. *(Pls note, I prefer quietness over
performance)

Pls can someone tell me what clock speed(s) on the 8800GT cards I need
to look out for so that I can identify which ones have not been
overclocked.

Thanks, regards, Robert.

Why don't you just buy a passively cooled one? I can almost guarantee you
that your efforts to make a fanless version will result in a severly
overheated card that's good for 2D only.

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/News/SP880...800GT_passive_...

Unfortunately I don't think that Sparkle card is available where I
live atm (UK). Are you sure I won't get good results by using the
following gadget (on a non-OC'd card)? -

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=147
(Arctic cooling's Accelero passive cooler)

You can buy a dual fan attachment for it, but I *think* that's only
necessary for OC'd versions.

Regards, Robert.
Old February 3rd 08, 05:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Unfortunately I don't think that Sparkle card is available where I
live atm (UK). Are you sure I won't get good results by using the
following gadget (on a non-OC'd card)? -

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=147
(Arctic cooling's Accelero passive cooler)

You can buy a dual fan attachment for it, but I *think* that's only
necessary for OC'd versions.

Regards, Robert.

That setup would likely work if your case had really good airflow in and out
and specifially around the videocard. It seems to perfrom quite well. This
review shows that it is a lot cooler than stock fan even when overclocked.
Full review here...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1261100

Old February 3rd 08, 05:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rpgs rock dvds

On 3 Feb, 17:24, "Augustus" wrote:
Unfortunately I don't think that Sparkle card is available where I
live atm (UK). *Are you sure I won't get good results by using the
following gadget (on a non-OC'd card)? -
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=147
(Arctic cooling's Accelero passive cooler)
You can buy a dual fan attachment for it, but I *think* that's only
necessary for OC'd versions.
Regards, Robert.

That setup would likely work if your case had really good airflow in and out
and specifially around the videocard. It seems to perfrom quite well. This
review shows that it is a lot cooler than stock fan even when overclocked.
Full review here...http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1261100

Thanks a lot for the URL; very interesting review + install guide.
Old February 3rd 08, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Thanks a lot for the URL; very interesting review + install guide.

No problem. In your initial post I took your meaning as wanting to simply
stick a large heatsink on the 8800GT, not an actual engineered
heatpipe/heatsink solution.