Replaced 6800GT with 7950GT... results..

Old October 23rd 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Moo[_2_]

Default Replaced 6800GT with 7950GT... results..

So I replaced my 6800GT with a 7950GT today as games were struggling
somewhat. I priced a new system at around £700 but since that's a bit
beyond my price range I opted for a graphics card update and I will
upgrade the entire pc at a later date.

Unfortunately I didn't run 3dmark06 (free version 1.1.0) with my 6800GT
in so I can't compare to the results I got now (daft of me I know), but
I've just ran 3dmark06 and I got a result of 4239.

I wasn't expecting a WOW amount of increase with the new card but this
figure seems a little low to me (based on what I know of 3dmark06), as
I'm only using the free version of 3dmark I can't directly compare to
other systems with a similar configuration to me but on the graph it
shows my pc at the lower end of the scale, the lowest score being 4195.

I'm running the latest beta drivers, I drivercleaned before installing
the new card.

I know that my ram & CPU are probably letting me down (1.5 gig,
non-matched) but given the price it wouldn't be worth me replacing it, I
would spend a few quid on another 512meg to fill the last slot though.

My processor is a pentium 4 3.2ghz and I'm running windows XP.

Is there anything else I should be looking at or is this the best I'm
going to get? Should I look at clocking the card a bit, if so what is
the best software to do that as I've heard ntune is poo.

Many thanks!!

Moo

--

My blog - http://degeneratemoo.livejournal.com
Old October 23rd 07, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Moo[_2_]

Moo wrote:
[...]

Just to clarify, the WOW isn't short for world of warcraft ha ha!

--

My blog - http://degeneratemoo.livejournal.com
Old October 23rd 07, 09:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Romano[_5_]

"Moo" je napisao u poruci interesnoj
grupi:
cut

U need stronger CPU.Missfortune is that pentium is last in line (and
strongest) for that AGP platform.So,u have only one choice.Squize that P4
and o`clock it to 3600,3700.And u have no other option.Get Zalman ALCU 7000
and overclock it.

Old October 23rd 07, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Moo[_2_]

Romano wrote:
"Moo" je napisao u poruci interesnoj
grupi:
cut

U need stronger CPU.Missfortune is that pentium is last in line (and
strongest) for that AGP platform.So,u have only one choice.Squize that P4
and o`clock it to 3600,3700.And u have no other option.Get Zalman ALCU 7000
and overclock it.

I have a Zalman, erm, can't remember what type it is, it looks like this
one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=HS-015-ZA
really not sure how I would go about overclocking the processor, can you
give me some pointers?

--

My blog - http://degeneratemoo.livejournal.com
Old October 23rd 07, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Romano[_5_]

"Moo" je napisao u poruci interesnoj
grupi:

I have a Zalman, erm, can't remember what type it is, it looks like this
one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=HS-015-ZA really
not sure how I would go about overclocking the processor, can you give me
some pointers?

That Zalman will be great.Ofc,there is other factors,like temp in case,best
solution is to have open case.U need to go in bios and increase FSB
frequency,by lets say starting by 10.Now run "burn cpu" test for 10-15
min,if everything is ok,proceed to higher FSB and so on until u found most
stable settings.Also,if u have FSB/MEM ratio cut it to 1:2 because maybe ur
memory can't handle increased FSB (i'm talking about ddr400)

Old October 23rd 07, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Moo' wrote:
| I have a Zalman, erm, can't remember what type it is, it looks like this
| one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=HS-015-ZA
| really not sure how I would go about overclocking the processor, can you
| give me some pointers?
_____

Try the newsgroup alt.comp.hardware.overclocking .

On the news server that I use retention for alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
goes back to mid 2003. Contributors have been overclocking since the
Pentium 90 and Apple //e (well, for the Apple //e you just swapped the 1 MHz
! CPU for a hybrid IC that contained an 8 MHz CPU and a high speed cache.)

Basically any Intel CPU is protected against damage by overheating, but if
you must raise the CPU core voltage, be careful to keep the voltage below
110% as too high a CPU core voltage will instantly destroy the CPU. The
only way to overclock Intel CPUs since the Pentium II 300 is to raise the
FrontSide Bus speed (unless you have an Extreme Edition Core 2 Duo or Quad.)
Raising the CPU core voltage may be necessary. What you do to overclock is
to swap temperature, voltage, and Intel stability margins for increased
clock speed. How easy this is depends on the motherboard (overclocking
friendly or not) and the CPU (some individual chips just happen to have more
margin for overclocking that others of the exact same model; also CPUs that
are specified at the top of the range for that series don't have as much
room to overclock.) A Pentium 4 1.6 GHz 'Northwood' could be expected to
overclock by 50%. A Pentium 2.8 GHz with a 800 MHz FSB could be expected to
do 3.2 GHz to 3.6 GHz. Your Pentium 3.2 800 MHz FSB can also be expected to
top out with an overclock to 3.2 GHz to 3.6 GHz. Any higher will require
heroic cooling methods that are likely not worth the cost of the incremental
improvement.

Some Intel CPUs are outstanding overclockers. All the lower speed Core 2
Duo CPUs easily overclock by 50%; I use an E4300 (1.8 GHz stock) at 2.7 GHz
with the CPU core voltage REDUCED by 8% for cooler operation. For this CPU
3.2 GHz is possible with GOOD air cooling or water cooling. Much more than
that isn't worth the cost because the price of faster Core 2 Duo and Quad
chips has dropped so much.

Phil Weldon

Old October 23rd 07, 10:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'RF' wrote, in part:
| Erm, the best solution is NOT to have an open case, as that will reduce
| airflow in certain areas. Cases provide a "wind tunnel" effect by
intaking
| fresh air and exhausting it out the rear. Taking the side off will impede
| or negate that airflow, and you'll end up with pockets of stagnant air.
_____

Pretty good advice. Both the explanation of case airflow and the limited
benefits to be gained since the CPU is already near the top end for that
Pentium 4 series.

Phil Weldon

Old October 23rd 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Moo' wrote:
| I was reading this guide http://www.geocities.com/antireligionclub3/
|
| it says not to increase my P4 voltage (prescott) over 1.55 as there is
| no benefit from putting it higher due to the micron technology (0.09 as
| opposed to 0.13 on the Northwood), not sure what all that means aside
| from it equates to a .2 increase in voltage from what I currently run
| (by default), which isn't very much.
|
| I may give it a go, I may not, those instructions seem pretty straight
| forward......
|
| Oh yeah, I'm using generic PC3200 ram too (just for info), that guide
| makes a point of getting the ram right as well as the CPU.
_____

The webpage you cite has little information, and what it does have is pretty
old. Your DDR rating is not much of a problem because for most motherboards
for your CPU you can change the ratio of the RAM speed to the FSB speed.
There are plenty of better overclocking websites.

Really you should post your questions in alt.comp.hardware.overclocking .
It beats any website for quality of information and time of existence. You
can also get recommendations for better overclocking websites.

Also, keep in mind that the highest possible CPU speed you can reasonably
expect (say, 3.5 GHz with your CPU) will make very little difference in the
way most games play (less than a 5% improvement.) If you enjoy the
technical challenge, by all means try a mild overclock to 3.4 to 3.6 GHz.
If you do everything by very small increments ( 20 MHz CPU speed increments,
then only try a voltage increment when you hit a wall at the current voltage
level, keep each voltage increment to ~ 0.02 volts, keep the voltage lid on
at 110%.) Keep good WRITTEN records of the changes you make. Once you find
a speed and voltage that work, repeat the steps. When you hit a wall and
should not raise the voltage more, then drop back to the last usable
settings. Then use something like Orthos small FFTs to check for long term
stability (24 hours or so.) Drop back if necessary to get a stable Orthos
FFTs 24 hour run. At that point, the only thing left to try is better
cooling (which may merely be the onset of Winter or replacing the thermal
past to the extreme of liquid Nitrogen boil-off!)

Phil Weldon

Old October 23rd 07, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Moo[_2_]

_____

[...]

Cooler for XFX 7950GT AGP Rainer Nvidia Videocards 2 September 18th 07 10:07 PM
Geforce 7950GT John Nvidia Videocards 3 July 15th 07 11:00 PM
7800GTX Vs 7950GT gimp Nvidia Videocards 5 January 8th 07 04:22 AM
Replaced fan on BFG 6800GT, now no warranty? [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 8 December 7th 06 10:21 PM
3D display 7950gt Deuce Nvidia Videocards 7 October 26th 06 02:13 AM