Is SLI worth it?

Old September 7th 07, 07:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Chris Blunt

Default Is SLI worth it?

I'm considering adding a second 8800GTX graphics adapter to my system
and running them in SLI mode. I understand the main benefit of such a
configuration would be for games, but I don't play games on my system,
and am unsure if it would be worth doing.

Would there be any noticeable difference in performance for
applications other than games? I do a reasonable amount of photo
editing and a watch DVD's on the machine.

Chris

----------
Motherboard: Nvidia nForce 680i SLI | CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700
Quad Core 2.67GHz Socket LGA775 8MB | Memory: 4GB (1GBx4) Ballistix
Tracer 240-pin DIMM | Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB |
Display: FlexScan S2411W 24" LCD | Operating System: Microsoft Windows
Vista Ultimate 32bit | Case: NZXT Zero | PSU: Cooler Master Real Power
Pro 850W | Keyboard: diNovo Edge BlueTooth Wireless Keyboard | Mouse:
MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse
Old September 7th 07, 09:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
ShutEye

I'm considering adding a second 8800GTX graphics adapter to my system
and running them in SLI mode. I understand the main benefit of such a
configuration would be for games, but I don't play games on my system,
and am unsure if it would be worth doing.

Would there be any noticeable difference in performance for
applications other than games? I do a reasonable amount of photo
editing and a watch DVD's on the machine.

A waste of money IMO

Old September 7th 07, 12:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tecknomage

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 14:12:43 +0800, Chris Blunt
wrote:

I'm considering adding a second 8800GTX graphics adapter to my system
and running them in SLI mode. I understand the main benefit of such a
configuration would be for games, but I don't play games on my system,
and am unsure if it would be worth doing.

Would there be any noticeable difference in performance for
applications other than games? I do a reasonable amount of photo
editing and a watch DVD's on the machine.

Chris

"NVIDIA® SLI™ technology is a revolutionary platform innovation that
allows you to intelligently scale performance by combining multiple
NVIDIA graphics solutions in a single system with an NVIDIA nForce®
SLI media and communications processor (MCP). Using proprietary
software algorithms and dedicated scalability logic in each NVIDIA
graphics processing unit (GPU) and MCP, NVIDIA SLI technology delivers
the highest performance computing solution. Further, NVIDIA SLI-Ready
components are backed by a rigorous testing and certification process
to deliver an entire certified platform solution, ensuring unmatched
system stability and platform compatibility."

Quote directly for NVIDIA help file.

Slight translation; SLI allows you to connect and use *multiple* SLI
capable video cards and have one output to your monitor. In other
words, SLI is useful only if you have 2 or more SLI cards.

nVidia SLI Zone - Scroll down and see vid in the "How Does SLI
Technology Work?" section:
http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_learn.html

--
==== Tecknomage ====
All technology which is sufficiently advanced becomes
Old September 7th 07, 02:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Chris Blunt wrote:
[...]

If you are not a gamer, you have wasted quite a bit of money making that
gaming rig such as you did. I say add another video card and enjoy your
conspicuous consumption while you can.

Old September 8th 07, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_4_]

Except for games, there would be no noticeable difference with that high
level of single card.

--
---------------------
DaveW

---------------------

Old September 8th 07, 12:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Chris Blunt

wrote:

[...]

No! Why would it be?

Chris
Old September 8th 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

wrote:

[...]

I'll answer: cuz that question when paired with those system specs
stinks to high heaven of troll-bait. Who would spend money on gamer
specific hardware and not play games and not know what SLI is, but know
enough about what SLI is? And post hardware specs that have zero purpose
but for gaming. His challenge was warranted. So is my snarkiness.

Damn you and your inscrutability.
Old September 8th 07, 05:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Chris Blunt

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure why my system is considered "gamer specific". I built it
to those specifications because I wanted a fast machine, but I'm not
interested in playing games. I do know what SLI is, I just wanted some
advice on whether I would be likely to see any benefit for anything
other than games. Its really as simple as that. I'm sorry if asking a
straightforward question has ruffled anyone.

Chris