ForceWare rel. 90, version 94.24 update botched

Old September 27th 07, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
FTR

Default ForceWare rel. 90, version 94.24 update botched

Hi,
I had twice a page fault in non paged area Blue Screen of Death
message in the last week and found that this can be linked to bad
drivers. I looked on the Nvidia homepage and found through their test
that for my Nvidia GeForce MX420 Videocard driver shows version 0.0
(so I have no driver ???) and that I should update to which I did.

Before I have to deinstall old versions. I have 2: nvidia display
driver - which has a broken link, says Add Remove Pro - and nvidia
windows 2000/XP display driver. But if the test app only showed a
message "installed driver version 0.0" then the app did not find any
of the 2! I deinstalled both of them and rebooted.

I then installed the 94.24 update. The install wizard proposed to
install, if I remember well, into a folder labelled something like c:
\nvidia\ But I want to have a structured folder tree and put it in c:
\program files\nvidia\. Then the wizard derailed and did not find the
info needed. I had to cancel the install, got a botched PC and was
lucky that my last system backup worked.

Questions:
- is the BSOD error "page fault in non paged area" linked to a bad
drivers ?
- why does the test app only find a 0.0 version of an unnamed
driver ??
- how to install ? Is it necessary to first uninstall the old drivers
and then install the new ones ? Or could I install the new over the
old version ? Where should I find the old nvidia windows 2000/XP
display driver be installed?
- where to install the driver ? in a c:\nvidia\ folder or should a c:
\program files\nvidia\. work, too ?

any help appreciated
Frank

Old September 27th 07, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
nospam

David Vair wrote:
The folder it is going to is just the extraction point for the setup program.

Thanks for the clarification.
I have mine on a
totally different drive and have had no issues with the setup program. You may want to try a driver
cleaner program to remove any leftover files that may be screwing up your install.

Any recommendation ?
The folder that
remains is just so you can go in and run the setup program from there if you need to. Also when I
look at the Nvidia driver page the recommended driver for your card is the 93.71 so you may want to
try that one.

How did you get that ? I downloaded the driver the automated test
proposed. You think the test got it wrong ?

- Frank

Old September 27th 07, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
nospam

David Vair wrote:
You should be using a driver for the GeForce 4 series as this is the generation of that card. I got
there by using the legacy drivers link toward the bottom of the driver page.

Here is the driect link to that driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

Thanks for the link !

When I look at the version no of the driver I find a nvidia geforce4
mx420 version 5.2.1.6
This is a completely different type than a ForceWare Release 93.71.
does that fit ?

The periphery manager says the driver is ok. when I click on Finding an
update it finds nothing.

However: just below is a Omnicom Mirror Driver decorated with an
exclamation mark on yellow ground. it's deactivated. thedriver update
wizard finds no update. Driver provider is omnicom, version 1.0.0.
location of driver unknown.The driver or service is deactivated.
Could this be a reason for my page fault in non paged area problem be ?

Old September 28th 07, 03:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

David Vair wrote:

Not familiar with the Omnicom item, maybe someone will chime in.

Omnicom is the maker of winShadow, some display frippery for Dell
branded products.

Old September 28th 07, 09:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
nospam

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
David Vair wrote:

Not familiar with the Omnicom item, maybe someone will chime in.

Omnicom is the maker of winShadow, some display frippery for Dell
branded products.

It's deactivated so it should'nt be a potential nuisance, I guess. I am
right ?

The central question is : will un update of the nvidia driver end the
BSOD errors Page fault in non paged area, or/and driver irql not less or
equal ???

What do you think/guess/know ?

If there is no probable impact there is no sense in changing a driver.

- ft
Old September 28th 07, 05:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

nospam wrote:

Mr.E Solved! wrote:

It's deactivated so it should'nt be a potential nuisance, I guess. I am
right ?

Dell is known for extensive software additions to Windows. Often times
those interfere with general PC practices. I would uninstall any and all
needless, especially potentially conflicting, drivers as trouble
shooting. But with a Dell OS, who knows what might happen under those
circumstances. Only trial and error can help, or Dell specific support.

The central question is : will un update of the nvidia driver end the
BSOD errors Page fault in non paged area, or/and driver irql not less or
equal ???

Who can say, but those blue screens are clearly driver related, and a
successful install might fix that. Something is preventing a proper
Forceware install, which is the real problem, not the subsequent error
screen.

What do you think/guess/know ?

The 94.24's are not optimal for your card, but they do install and work
with it well enough. Dell's have proprietary device drivers and BIOS
parameters that can hinder installations. Your PC is probably in a
faulted state and your registry and file structure probably need an
electronic enema. Once all that has been taken care of, driver cleaner
pro as well (google) then you can try another install. If it doesn't
work, blame your Dell OS.

If there is no probable impact there is no sense in changing a driver.

With PC troubleshooting, you try all remedies, even the ones with low
probabilities of success.