Display Orientation changed itself to Portrait

Old September 4th 07, 01:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TC[_2_]

Default Display Orientation changed itself to Portrait

My brother has an NVidia based m/b, which is also running a Mad Dog
Nvidia GeForce (5200 or 5300), 1 Gig RAM, Windows ME. He leaves the
computer running and just switches off the monitor to save a little
power.

The other day, he switched on the monitor and the display had rotated
itself to Portrait. He never changed a thing manually.

When the computer starts, all is normal at POST. Then, when WinME
boots, the display pops back over to Portrait.

There have also been problems with the resolution & color depth
resetting themselves to basic VGA.

Thinking the driver was corrupted, I talked him through reinstalling
the driver from CD, but when ME boots, same thing - he has to change
the resolution to 1024x768, then the display goes back to Portrait.

Does it sound like the card itself is defective, or the motherboard?
(or Win ME?

Tom

Old September 4th 07, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Victek

[...]

There's a setting in the Nvidia control panel to rotate the display. Are
you pulling your brother's leg? g

Old September 4th 07, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TC[_2_]

On Sep 4, 11:03 am, "Victek" wrote:
[...]

you pulling your brother's leg? g- Hide quoted text -

I wish it were that simple, but he & his wife live 60mi away (at
least). I may end up going over to replace the video card. If the
wife did it to pull his leg, then I'm going to be p***ed!

Old September 5th 07, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

What do you mean by "Portrait"? Is the displayed picture sideways? Or is
aspect ratio of the picture simply incorrect?

ups.com...

Old September 5th 07, 12:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TC[_2_]

On Sep 5, 1:02 am, Ryan Hatfield wrote:
TC wrote:
[...]

Before spending all that money on something that obviously isn't broken
maybe you should try the first tip mentioned he

http://www.rickmaybury.com/Bootarc/t..._files/tt9.htm

Or some variation of what it is saying.

Actually, it appears that the NVrotate option (probably under advanced
display properties) did the trick. I'd swear I had him read all
available options to me over the phone the other night, but he must've
missed that one.

I don't know if I'd say it "isn't broken", though. The card changed
the display itself, and it has repeatedly come up with a "cartoonish"
looking display, requiring him to correct the resolution and color
depth. (I should've listened to all the bad talk and avoided putting
Win ME on the computer.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Tom