Which is better? GeForce 8600 GTS/Radeon X1700SE...

Old May 1st 07, 12:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom & Cindy

Default Which is better? GeForce 8600 GTS/Radeon X1700SE...

Hi All,

We are about to buy a new computer and are looking at a Dell and an HP. I
don't want to start a Dell vs HP argument, but one of the components that I
am weighing into my decision is the graphics card. I realize that neither
of these is probably great, but want the best I can get.

The Dell XPS 410 has the Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS w/ 256 MB memory.
The HP m8000y has the ATI Radeon X1700SE w/ 512 MB memory.

While I have been able to find some info on the GeForce, I know nothing
about the Radeon.

Or, would I be better off just getting the cheapest card option available
and buying my own?
I believe the Dell has a 375 watt PS and the HP has a 350 watt PS. What
could I get for either of those machines that would be better than the
above? I really lust for the GeForce 8800 GTX, but I have read that I would
need a much greater PS, and is a little pricier than I can go. (it is an
available option on the Dell, but is $700 more--and I thought it needed a
greater power supply anyway......)

Please go easy on me, I am not extremely well versed.......I just know
enough to be dangerous. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cindy

Old May 1st 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

If you had to choose between the two, the 8600GTS in the Dell XPS is better,
hands-down. The X1700SE seems like an OEM-special card somewhere between an
X1650XT and X1800LE, while the -SE suffix denotes a castrated memory
interface.

The other option is equip either machine with the cheapest card available
and pick up an 8800GTS for $260 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130082 It's much
faster than a 8600GTS and this particular brand carries a lifetime warranty.

. ..

Old May 1st 07, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Phil Weldon

'Tom & Cindy' wrote, in part:
| We are about to buy a new computer and are looking at a Dell and an HP. I
| don't want to start a Dell vs HP argument, but one of the components that
| am weighing into my decision is the graphics card. I realize that neither
| of these is probably great, but want the best I can get.
_____

Actually Dell makes a 410 XPS that DOES have an nVidia 8800 GTX graphics
card. On the other hand the price is outrageous. You also are forced to
have a flavor of Windows Vista installed; Windows Vista may actually be
ready for prime time when the first Service Pack comes out.

Phil Weldon

. ..

Old May 1st 07, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
FKS

"Tom & Cindy" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I don't know about HP, but Dell uses its own proprietary power supply units.
It wouldn't be easy to upgrade it later. A 375W PS is barely adequate for a
powerful graphic card.

Old May 1st 07, 11:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
don't look[_2_]

Didn't Dell bring back XP because of complaints?

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
ink.net...
'Tom & Cindy' wrote, in part:
| We are about to buy a new computer and are looking at a Dell and an HP.

| don't want to start a Dell vs HP argument, but one of the components

that
| am weighing into my decision is the graphics card. I realize that

neither
| of these is probably great, but want the best I can get.
_____

Actually Dell makes a 410 XPS that DOES have an nVidia 8800 GTX graphics
card. On the other hand the price is outrageous. You also are forced to
have a flavor of Windows Vista installed; Windows Vista may actually be
ready for prime time when the first Service Pack comes out.

Phil Weldon

. ..

Old May 2nd 07, 05:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Phil Weldon

'don't look' wrote:
| Didn't Dell bring back XP because of complaints?
_____

Not apparent from their web site offerings.

Phil Weldon

"don't look" don't wrote in message
| Didn't Dell bring back XP because of complaints?
|
| "Phil Weldon" wrote in message
| ink.net...
| 'Tom & Cindy' wrote, in part:
| | We are about to buy a new computer and are looking at a Dell and an
HP.
| | don't want to start a Dell vs HP argument, but one of the components
| that
| | am weighing into my decision is the graphics card. I realize that
| neither
| | of these is probably great, but want the best I can get.
| _____
|
| Actually Dell makes a 410 XPS that DOES have an nVidia 8800 GTX graphics
| card. On the other hand the price is outrageous. You also are forced
| have a flavor of Windows Vista installed; Windows Vista may actually be
| ready for prime time when the first Service Pack comes out.
|
| Phil Weldon
|
| "Tom & Cindy" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Hi All,
| |
| | We are about to buy a new computer and are looking at a Dell and an
HP.
| | don't want to start a Dell vs HP argument, but one of the components
| that
| | am weighing into my decision is the graphics card. I realize that
| neither
| | of these is probably great, but want the best I can get.
| |
| | The Dell XPS 410 has the Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS w/ 256 MB memory.
| | The HP m8000y has the ATI Radeon X1700SE w/ 512 MB memory.
| |
| | While I have been able to find some info on the GeForce, I know
nothing
| | about the Radeon.
| |
| | Or, would I be better off just getting the cheapest card option
| available
| | and buying my own?
| | I believe the Dell has a 375 watt PS and the HP has a 350 watt PS.
What
| | could I get for either of those machines that would be better than the
| | above? I really lust for the GeForce 8800 GTX, but I have read that I
| would
| | need a much greater PS, and is a little pricier than I can go. (it is
an
| | available option on the Dell, but is $700 more--and I thought it
needed
| | greater power supply anyway......)
| |
| | Please go easy on me, I am not extremely well versed.......I just know
| | enough to be dangerous. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
| |
| |
| | Thanks,
| |
| | Cindy
| |
| |

Old May 2nd 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Les Matthew

Phil Weldon wrote:
'don't look' wrote:
| Didn't Dell bring back XP because of complaints?
_____

Not apparent from their web site offerings.

Phil Weldon

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04...fers_xp_again/

It may be regional and small business only.

les...
Old May 2nd 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom & Cindy

Thanks, for the input.
I am thinking that this second option is the way to go. It looks like the
HP has the right slot for it, but I am still a little concerned about the
power supply. What I am reading is that the 8800 GTS, while not as power
hungry as the GTX, still requires a 400 watt PS. Will I kill my computer if
it has only 350 watts?

Also, I am a bit confused by all of the different brands. When I started on
this quest, I thought I would be buying an NVIDIA card. But now I see that
while NVIDIA makes the chipset, that other companies actually make the
cards? Do I have that right? When I see ratings for the 8800 GTS, are they
the same regardless of whether they are PNY, BFG, Evga, etc? Or is there a
brand I should prefer and/or stay away from?

I really appreciate your help, this is becoming quite the learning adventure
for me.

Cindy

"First of One" wrote in message

The other option is equip either machine with the cheapest card available
and pick up an 8800GTS for $260 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130082 It's much
faster than a 8600GTS and this particular brand carries a lifetime
warranty.

. ..

Old May 3rd 07, 03:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

"Tom & Cindy" wrote in message
I am thinking that this second option is the way to go. It looks like the
HP has the right slot for it,

Both the Dell and HP machines you listed should have a PCIe x16 slot. In
fact, based on past experience Dell uses more standardized components than
HP.

but I am still a little concerned about the power supply. What I am
reading is that the 8800 GTS, while not as power hungry as the GTX, still
requires a 400 watt PS. Will I kill my computer if it has only 350 watts?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...gts-640_6.html
The 8800GTS uses 102W under maximum load. 350W PSU likely won't work. 375W
should be okay by estimate, without going into detailed accounting of the
amperage limits on each rail...

Maximum power draw occurs under maximum load (i.e. during an intense game).
The worst you will see are visual artifacts or system freeze. No hardware
damage will result.

In 2D the card by default reduces its clock speed and voltage, drawing only
about 55W under casual use (web, email, etc.), so power won't pose a
problem.

Also, I am a bit confused by all of the different brands. When I started
on this quest, I thought I would be buying an NVIDIA card. But now I see
that while NVIDIA makes the chipset, that other companies actually make
the cards?

The truth is somewhere in between... nVidia designs the chipset and board,
gets the chipset fabricated on contract by TSMC, then sells the chipset to
Flextronics for board production. The various vendors like PNY, BFG and eVGA
buy the cards from Flextronics, slap their logos on the card and sell the
cards to the distributors.

Do I have that right? When I see ratings for the 8800 GTS, are they the
same regardless of whether they are PNY, BFG, Evga, etc? Or is there a
brand I should prefer and/or stay away from?

See above. Most cards are physically identical. However, board vendors may
choose to do their own stability testing and clock the cards higher than
nVidia's reference specs. Items of distinction are clock speeds, length of
warranty (which may affect resale value), and any type of custom heat sink.

BFG, eVGA, LeadTek, PNY, all good brands. The eVGA card I linked to earlier
also happens to be the cheapest, I think.

I really appreciate your help, this is becoming quite the learning
adventure for me.

Cindy

"First of One" wrote in message

The other option is equip either machine with the cheapest card available
and pick up an 8800GTS for $260 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130082 It's much
faster than a 8600GTS and this particular brand carries a lifetime
warranty.

. ..

Old May 3rd 07, 03:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ken Maltby

"Tom & Cindy" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/...is_other_cards

Luck;
Ken

Which is better? GeForce 8600 GTS/Radeon X1700SE... Tom & Cindy Nvidia Videocards 9 May 3rd 07 03:38 PM
Asus A7v333 AGP Pro 4x slot Radeon 8500 died. Which card? Radeon 9550? or Geforce 6600 or X? compatible Darren General 4 December 20th 05 06:23 AM
Radeon vs GeForce Jo Ati Videocards 4 April 24th 05 03:52 AM
Dell Inspiron 8600 with Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro!! Robert Reenders Dell Computers 0 December 12th 03 09:50 PM
Radeon vs Geforce EE Roth Nvidia Videocards 2 September 4th 03 04:30 AM