Cooler recommendations for 8800 GTS?

Old April 13th 07, 01:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

Default Cooler recommendations for 8800 GTS?

I recently installed the BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb card.

I am having some airflow issues in my case.

I took the side panel off, and laid a case fan on the back of the card,
tilted down to where it is blowing directly across the back of the card,
toward the rear of the case. It will now successfully make it through 3d
mark 05, but I tried FSX ( MSFS ), it made it a few minutes then locked up.
Previously, before doing this, it would lock up in less than a minute, in
both 3d mark 05 and FSX.

So obviously, I need better cooling. Even my E6600 core temps, came down app
8C, after removing side panel and putting this fan on the card.

Would appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks,

--
Don

Old April 13th 07, 02:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Don Burnette wrote:

I recently installed the BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb card.

I am having some airflow issues in my case.

I took the side panel off, and laid a case fan on the back of the card,
tilted down to where it is blowing directly across the back of the card,
toward the rear of the case. It will now successfully make it through 3d
mark 05, but I tried FSX ( MSFS ), it made it a few minutes then locked up.
Previously, before doing this, it would lock up in less than a minute, in
both 3d mark 05 and FSX.

So obviously, I need better cooling. Even my E6600 core temps, came down app
8C, after removing side panel and putting this fan on the card.

Would appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks,

This is unfortunate considering the BFG 8800 GTS features an OTES
(outboard thermal exhaust system). Designed to prevent this from happening.

Is your case too small? Cramped or poorly designed? Does your PSU have
both an intake and exhaust fans?

Are you using a heat pipe for your CPU? Does the exhaust from the CPU
HSF point to the rear of the case, where a large case fan is properly
moving the air out the rear of the case?

That you have a fan blowing on the card and it still locks up, while the
case is open, implies more than just thermal management issues. I have a
card that runs at 90-95c, during load with no fans, and it never
hiccups. I would investigate the cause further, to make sure it is
solely temperature related.

Old April 13th 07, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mike Vajda

I recommend you buy an Antec 900 case and move your system into it.
It is about $120 but woth it.

Mike
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..

Old April 13th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Don Burnette wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback.
Now it appears, it is not temp related. I think it is related to my memory
timings and overclocked settings in my 680i mb.
I am making some adjustments now, and it appears to be slowly getting
better. It was rock solid for about 7 weeks, but not now.

Thanks again,

--
Don

Old April 14th 07, 09:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andrew Bailey

"Don Burnette" wrote in message
I recently installed the BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb card.

I am having some airflow issues in my case.

I took the side panel off, and laid a case fan on the back of the card,
tilted down to where it is blowing directly across the back of the card,
toward the rear of the case. It will now successfully make it through 3d
mark 05, but I tried FSX ( MSFS ), it made it a few minutes then locked
up. Previously, before doing this, it would lock up in less than a minute,
in both 3d mark 05 and FSX.

So obviously, I need better cooling. Even my E6600 core temps, came down
app 8C, after removing side panel and putting this fan on the card.

Would appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks,

--
Don

Hi Don,

It appears (read: could be) that you are suffering from the same problem
that thousands (including me) of other users are.

Let me guess... everything is ok until you try to run a 3D app then BAM!

From my research this problem seems to happen if you are using Windows Vista
with any gfx card or Windows XP with any 8800 gfx card. The common
denominator here is that your NForce drivers have been updated.

The good news is that it's not your hardware, the bad news is that it's your
gfx driver and the only people that can solve it are NVidia themselves. The
other bad news is that NVidia are working to solve the issue in Vista first
(bad if you're using XP) because of all the gfx card boxes on retail display
that say "Vista Ready".

It's a weird problem in so much that some users don't experience any
problems and some users have managed to solve the problem on their system
using the many suggestions in the NVidia forums like...

1: Adding extra cooling including forcing 100% fan speed (because initially
it looks like temperature).
2: Increasing the power of their PSU (because 8800's need a lot).
3: Increasing memory voltage to 2.1 - 2.2 (check your mem manufacturer's
specs).
4: Underclocking memory.
5: Trying different drivers (so far it looks like 100.65 is most stable for
Vista and 97.94 for XP).
6: Underclocking the gfx card (use RivaTuner in XP, you have to flash the
gfx bios to do this in Vista).
7: Removing sound cards and using onboard audio.
8: Using one stick of ram only.
9: Registry hack to increase the timeout for display driver reset failure.

..... and loads of other "snake oil" stuff.

do a google for "nvlddmkm.dll stopped responding" for Vista and
"nv4_disp.dll stopped responding" for XP and you will see there are
literally thousands of us

I myself have spent over £3,300.00 on components for a new 8800GTX sli rig
nearly two months ago and I'm still at stage "day one".

Everyone is holding their breath for the new driver (27th April) to fix the
problem (Vista, but XP should follow).

Hope this has helped you.

Andy

Old April 14th 07, 01:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

"Andrew Bailey" wrote in message

[...]

From my research this problem seems to happen if you are using Windows
Vista with any gfx card or Windows XP with any 8800 gfx card. The common
[...]

Thanks Andy, I am running XP Pro, so will keep an eye out for new drivers
for XP.

I have been able to get my system stable again, by reducing the fsb
frequency of my overclocked EVGA 680i mb, reducing my pc8500 ddr2 Corsair
ram to 800 mhz.
I do have a case airflow problem, but now I don't think it was causing my
issues, as I still had them until I reduced my overclock. By taking the side
panel off, and putting an extra fan in there on top of back of video card,
my cpu core temps dropped 7-8c, both at idle and under load. However, even
before this, my cpu temps under load were only getting into low 50's c. But
I am going to order another front intake fan, to put in a drive bay slot in
my Lian Li case, and a pci slot fan to put below my video card.
My E6600 ran great at 3.24 ghz, for 7 weeks, then one morning I got up to
all kinds of stability issues. My first diagnosis was heat, and thought my
Radeon card was going south. Got the 8800 GTS, it ran great the evening I
installed it, then the next morning, same issues returned.

This problem had me pulling my hair out. So far , it has been stable,
running at 3ghz, but I have not had time to run many 3d apps yet, I ran 3d
mark 05 about 3 times, and MS FSX for about 45 minutes, without a lockup.
Keeping finger crossed!

Thanks for the feedback,

--
Don

Old April 16th 07, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
tony h

if all works well, overclocked, until you run 3d benchmarks, then just stop
running them!
why lower performance just to see a 'score'?
real world use will not be as intensive as benchmarking software, which can
show stability problems which you'd never see.

"if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Old April 17th 07, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jethro

tony h wrote:
if all works well, overclocked, until you run 3d benchmarks, then just stop
running them!
why lower performance just to see a 'score'?
real world use will not be as intensive as benchmarking software, which can
show stability problems which you'd never see.

"if it aint broke, dont fix it"

In this group, the proper quote is

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough."

:-)
--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com