VIVO won't capture correctly after a minute?

Old January 29th 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Default VIVO won't capture correctly after a minute?

ShutEye wrote:

To capture video to a computer you CANNOT use just a standard video card.
You have to install a special video capture card that are widely
available.

DaveW, I'm curious, what video card are you currently using?

Ask him about his medication instead

DaveW's repeated, purposeful spreading of obviously false information is
likely evidence of mental illness and sociopathy. I hope he either gets
help if he wants it, or gets punished for his anti-social behavior.
Either way, he won't be back until he's finished clipping his mother's
toe-nails. Until then, readers, ask and receive correct advice, for a
limited time only!

DaveW, you suck, and I say it in the most heartfelt, kindest way I can.
Old January 30th 07, 03:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

Edward wrote:

On Jan 29, 2:34 am, "Phil Weldon" wrote:
'Edward' wrote, in part:
| This didn't happen with my crappy little USB video capture - I think
| it was made by IREZ or something.
|
| I'll check the system monitor andlet you know.
_____

Try 'Process Explorer' (free athttp://www.sysinternals.com). 'Process
Explorer' will give you much more detail. The capture aids in VIVO cards do
not have hardware encoders... it very well may be that your USB capture
device had a hardware encoder, and thus gave better quality. You haven't
said what kind of compression and encoding you use with your VIVO, but
'Process Explorer' will show the bottleneck.

I was doing this for You tube... so the 300 line capture device was
fine. now I want to encode some old 8mm videos to DVD - hence I need
better quality.

I think it only happens with WIndows Movie Maker. I tried Virtualdub
with no compression and it appeared to work. I was runing late this
morning, so I had to check it and haul ass out the door. I hate my
job.
It was easier to capture uwing Moviemaker because it would compress it
ont he fly and I wouldn't have to import the video to You Tube it.
As we all know, once I have the HUGE uncompressed video, compressing
it into something else can take a looooooooong time. I wanted to
avoid that step. My end results were good enough for Youtube. When I
to to cap the 8mm video? I'll use Virtualdub with no compression. I
have a 30GB hard drive.
Now being able to capture with VD at full NTSC resolution... (720x480
that's going to be a problem. I don't think VD can do that.

Oh yes it can! And I did so for years with a simple Hauppauge WinTV Go
(BT878 chipset) and a meager Athlon 1700 with 512MB RAM.

Normally you don't want to capture pure RGB uncompressed frames. That's
wasteful in terms of color space (since TV is very low chroma res) and
diskspace. Your biggest obstacles will be finding a real time lossless
compression codec and how fast your primary capture disk is.

HuffyUV (http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley...g/huffyuv.html)
used to be everyone's standby for lossless capture. It provides around
2 or even 3:1 compression ratios. There are some far more advanced
options around nowadays (just browse the doom9.org forums), but Huffy
works reliably as a VFW codec.

Huffy can automatically convert RGB colorspace data to YUV, which is
where most of your compressability comes from, and then losslessly
compresses the rest with a huffman method. YUV is generally
indistinguishable from the original source.

After a little experience capturing, you'll find that you definitely
want a blank drive JUST for capturing. This avoids the problem of
having to defragment before capping and spanning multiple disks (which
Vdub does automatically, but it drops frames occasionally). In the very
least, have an open partition with little to nothing on it. Roughly
20-40GB is good for several hours of lossless video.

When capping audio, always use uncompressed WAV at 44khz/16-bit. Audio
doesn't take up much space at all, even for hours of video. At most you
might wind up with a gig or so. If you really need to save space, ADPCM
works well for TV caps and is very simple to compress.

When your done, take that fine 720x480 YUV source and try an AVC codec
like X264 or Nero Digital. Then AAC the audio and combine them into an
MP4. This has the added benefit of being compliant with an MPEG-4
standard container.
Old January 30th 07, 03:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

'Edward' wrote, in part:
> [...]

After a little experience capturing, you'll find that you definitely
want a blank drive JUST for capturing. This avoids the problem of
having to defragment before capping and spanning multiple disks (which
Vdub does automatically, but it drops frames occasionally). In the very
least, have an open partition with little to nothing on it. Roughly
20-40GB is good for several hours of lossless video.

When capping audio, always use uncompressed WAV at 44khz/16-bit. Audio
doesn't take up much space at all, even for hours of video. At most you
might wind up with a gig or so. If you really need to save space, ADPCM
works well for TV caps and is very simple to compress.

When your done, take that fine 720x480 YUV source and try an AVC codec
like X264 or Nero Digital. Then AAC the audio and combine them into an
MP4. This has the added benefit of being compliant with an MPEG-4

Of course, that's all great... if you're using VFW and you're probably
not... I'm an idiot.
Old January 30th 07, 03:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Edward

'Edward' wrote, in part:
> [...]

After a little experience capturing, you'll find that you definitely
want a blank drive JUST for capturing. This avoids the problem of
having to defragment before capping and spanning multiple disks (which
Vdub does automatically, but it drops frames occasionally). In the very
least, have an open partition with little to nothing on it. Roughly
20-40GB is good for several hours of lossless video.

When capping audio, always use uncompressed WAV at 44khz/16-bit. Audio
doesn't take up much space at all, even for hours of video. At most you
might wind up with a gig or so. If you really need to save space, ADPCM
works well for TV caps and is very simple to compress.

When your done, take that fine 720x480 YUV source and try an AVC codec
like X264 or Nero Digital. Then AAC the audio and combine them into an
MP4. This has the added benefit of being compliant with an MPEG-4

Here's what I did, the video seems OK when I view it.
I captured in uncompressed AVI - I know that's bad but it worked.
It is a 140 GB file on a 300GB disk.
I edited certain scened out with Sony Vegas - you know accidentally
taping my feet and useless crap. I was 16 at the time this was teken
and I was a pretty lousy cameraman.
Now Its rendering it to another uncompressed AVI and from there I'll
use Nero to put it to DVD.
But I'll have to start using that Huffy codec from here on in if I'm
going to keep screwing around with these 100+ GB files. Since my plan
is to put multiple home videos on a single DVD.