Best 17" LCD Resolution?

Old September 25th 03, 01:48 PM
Thunder9

Default Best 17" LCD Resolution?

What's the best native resolution for a 17" LCD monitor? I read that
a lot of people who have 15" monitors like that to be 1024 X 768. But
then I read that most people with 17" monitors also like that
resolution. That kind of doesn't make sense to me...

If a person likes 1024 X 768 for a 15" monitor, then a 17" monitor
should be just about the same at 1280 X 1024, shouldn't it? I mean,
you have better resolution but also have a larger screen area... so
its mostly an extension of pixels. Or in other words, your 16 X 16
bit icons will be about the same *physical* size, won't they?

On a related note - let's say I get a 17" lcd monitor at 1280 X 1024.
Can that display a 1024 X 768 resolution by simply using a 1024 X 768
grid of pixels? Instead of awkwardly streaching the screen? Would
this be useful? Then you could have your 17" screen at 1280 X 1024
and your smaller screen at 1280 X 1024. I guess I'm confused on this
whole issue so any insights would be appreciated.

Regards,
Thunder9

Old September 25th 03, 03:56 PM
Khuli

Thunder9 wrote:
[...]

The answer is yes you can display 1024 x 768 centered (and not
scaled), as long as your monitor is capable of 'it.

On a 17" monitor 1280 x 960 would be a much better reolution
(letterboxed) if you normally use 1024 x 768.

Old September 25th 03, 04:00 PM
Martin Eriksson

"Khuli" wrote in message
snip
On a 17" monitor 1280 x 960 would be a much better reolution
(letterboxed) if you normally use 1024 x 768.

Why? Really?

/M

Old September 25th 03, 04:52 PM
Khuli

Martin Eriksson wrote:
"Khuli" wrote in message
snip
On a 17" monitor 1280 x 960 would be a much better reolution
(letterboxed) if you normally use 1024 x 768.

Why? Really?

Because they both have the same aspect ratio?

Old September 25th 03, 05:13 PM
Alien Zord

"Khuli" wrote in message
Martin Eriksson wrote:
"Khuli" wrote in message
snip
On a 17" monitor 1280 x 960 would be a much better reolution
(letterboxed) if you normally use 1024 x 768.

Why? Really?

Because they both have the same aspect ratio?

Applies only to CRT monitors with 4:3 aspect ratio. AFAIK all 17" LCD
monitors have a native resolution of 1280 x 1024, that's 5:4 aspect ratio.

Old September 25th 03, 05:29 PM
Martin Eriksson

"Khuli" wrote in message
Martin Eriksson wrote:
"Khuli" wrote in message
snip
On a 17" monitor 1280 x 960 would be a much better reolution
(letterboxed) if you normally use 1024 x 768.

Why? Really?

Because they both have the same aspect ratio?

17" inch monitors have a physical 5:4 aspect. But you apparently already
know that saying to run letterboxed. That's why I don't really know what
your point is? That he should run with black borders so he won't see the
extra pixels because.... xxx???

It's not like anything will look squished anyhow, and the extra 84 lines are
most welcome.

/M

Old September 25th 03, 05:29 PM
Khuli

Alien Zord wrote:
"Khuli" wrote in message
Martin Eriksson wrote:
"Khuli" wrote in message
snip
On a 17" monitor 1280 x 960 would be a much better reolution
(letterboxed) if you normally use 1024 x 768.

Why? Really?

Because they both have the same aspect ratio?

Applies only to CRT monitors with 4:3 aspect ratio. AFAIK all 17"

LCD
monitors have a native resolution of 1280 x 1024, that's 5:4 aspect
ratio.

Yes, but the original post was referring to people with 15" monitors
who liked 1024 x 768 (and later changed to a 17" monitor).....

15" LCDs have an aspect ration 4:3 as well as CRTs, hence the
suggestion to use 1280 x 960 on a 17".

I can't see that anyone would want to use 1024 x 768 *full screen* on
a 17" LCD.

Old September 25th 03, 05:33 PM
Alien Zord

"Thunder9" wrote in message
[...]

AFAIK all 17" LCD monitors have native resolution of 1280 x 1024 pixels,
that's 5:4 aspect ratio. You can run them at lower resolutions but the
display will not be anywhere near as sharp and on top of it most other
resolutions are 4:3 aspect ratio making the display distorted.

15" and 19" LCD monitors have pixel sizes around 0.3 mm. On 17" monitors its
0.264 mm. Therefore text and icons will be a bit smaller.

Old September 25th 03, 05:38 PM
Alien Zord

"Khuli" wrote in message
I can't see that anyone would want to use 1024 x 768 *full screen* on
a 17" LCD.

Many games cannot be set to resolutions higher than 1024 x 768 (apparently)
so the user may have no choice.

Old September 25th 03, 07:00 PM
Bishoop

snip

| 15" and 19" LCD monitors have pixel sizes around 0.3 mm. On 17" monitors
its
| 0.264 mm. Therefore text and icons will be a bit smaller.

I have a 17" panel, 1280 X 1024 and for my eyes the standard Windows 96dpi
is just a bit small. I increased the dpi to 120% of 96 or 115dpi which is
much better for me.

Just a thought.

Digital Cameras Robert J. Stevens General 3 August 20th 03 02:35 AM
Matrox video card D F Bonnett General 3 August 10th 03 03:58 AM
strange monitor phenomenon Vanguard General 0 July 26th 03 05:21 PM