Vista and Graphics - Is Matrox really that good for text? - Please enlighten me

Old January 1st 07, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Vista and Graphics - Is Matrox really that good for text? - Please enlighten me

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message ...
* Lasse Jensen:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Matrox_Mille...2.html?tag=sub

Now i have seen everything.

Yeah, interesting, isn't it? It's unbelieveable how many sites like CNET
just write some BS without noticing it...

At least the manufacturer Matrox doesn't seem to know that they are
using Nvidia GPUs:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/finent/products/pseries/p650lppcie.php

It's especially funny, considering the history. Years ago there
was a mass exodus of programmers from Matrox, and most
of them wound up working for Nvidia.

Old January 1st 07, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Cameron Walsh wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
John Smith wrote:

I have been using Matrox cards since the early 1990s. My sole reason is
their superlative text quality.

The "Matrox has better 2D" mantra has as much weight today as Ricardo
Montalban extolling the virtues of fine "Corinthian Leather" in the
then-new Chrysler Cordoba.

There aren't cows on the island of Corinth, and modern 2D is long
standardized across the board. But it has the wonderful familiar ring
of nostalgia.

Corinth is a city, not an island, and the peninsula on which Corinth and
other cities is located is only technically an island because of a canal
that was built separating the peninsula from the mainland in the late
19th century. It is possible that leather could be manufactured in
Corinth regardless of whether or not there are cows in Corinth or on the
peninsula (note that there is a breed of cow called "Peloponnesus"
presumably named after the peninsula they were first identified on?)
However, you are correct in as far as the "Corinthian Leather" that was
made so famous by the Chrysler commercials was rumoured to have been
manufactured in America instead.

That said, is it not possible that while cards based on ATI and nVidia
chipsets may comply with the standards for DVI, that Matrox cards exceed
those standards by a greater amount? Whether or not that is true, I'd
imagine any visual differences arising from such implementation
differences would not be noticeable to the hoi polloi.

I hope you enjoyed this quite ridiculous post.

Cameron.

I enjoyed this information so much, I will share with you the genesis of
this whole issue! Celebrating the "Fuzzy 2D" of yesteryear, I present to
you this 7 year old article describing the cruddy circuitry of certain
GeForce 2-3 and 4 cards.

http://www.maxuk.net/241mp/geforce-image-quality.html

FTA:

"Many (or all?) nVIDIA GeForce and TNT -based cards have the above
circuit onboard. It is a low pass filter and it's purpose is to reduce
RFI emissions. In many cases it's manufactured with low quality
components and / or designed badly. If 'misdesigned' it basically stops
most of the high frequency information necessary to produce, for
example, sharp text at high resolutions and refresh rates."

Back in those days we also wore onions on our belts, which was the
fashion at the time..

Old January 1st 07, 10:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Smith

Default Vista and Graphics - Is Matrox really that good for text? - Summary

"Celebrating the "Fuzzy 2D" of yesteryear, I present to
you this 7 year old article describing the cruddy circuitry of certain
GeForce 2-3 and 4 cards."

I am glad my intial post stimulated such a full and wide ranging ranging
discussion that even delved into the history of video graphics adapters. The
reference on CNET to Matrox using NVIDIA chips looked suspicious to me and
it turns out those were well founded.

I have gotten used to the new card I have and the changes in UI. In
Outlook/Vista 2007/Windows Mail (f/k/a Outlook Express), MS has opted for
what I consider to be an ugly font in its Outlook Bar and other areas. This
is a clear attempt to copy Apple. I have nothing vs. Apple, but MS should
stick w/owns text look and feel. In some instances, the OS and/or MS Apps
insist on foisting cleartype on us despite configuations to the contrary.

For those that answered my intitial post, thanks for all the infor - I
learned alot about graphics cards and it made it easier for me to adapt to
change.

Richard a/k/a John Smith

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 2nd 07, 02:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Cameron Walsh

Mr.E Solved! wrote:

I enjoyed this information so much, I will share with you the genesis of
this whole issue! Celebrating the "Fuzzy 2D" of yesteryear, I present to
you this 7 year old article describing the cruddy circuitry of certain
GeForce 2-3 and 4 cards.

http://www.maxuk.net/241mp/geforce-image-quality.html

Who would have thought FCC regulations would cause manufacturers to
choose to make cruddy products sold at high profit? Hmmm, I wonder if
it's possible to mod monitors this way...

Back in those days we also wore onions on our belts, which was the
fashion at the time..

Heh heh.